After 3 months primal, I all of a sudden felt like eating crap again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After 3 months primal, I all of a sudden felt like eating crap again

I've been 3 months on a primal diet. I didn't exercise any more at all, but still lost 18 pounds. Pretty amazing IMO.

Yesterday though, I all of a sudden felt tired of eating eggs, meat, etc. and felt like eating junk food again.

So I went out to the coffee shop and ate a NICE BIG donut. I also bought some junk food at the store, such as a frozen pizza and a little candy.

After one or two days, I plan on going back to the primal diet.

What do you think? Everybody has to eat crap every now and then, right? If not, what's the fun? I'm thinking about dedicating 1-2 days to crap food eating every 1-2 months, according to my wishes. Do you think that's okay?

No, everybody does not have to eat crap every now and then. If you want this to be a lifestyle, you need to let go of the CW definition of 'food'.

Comment

Well, what do YOU think? If it makes you feel good and doesn't bring you any problems afterwards then go for it, go back to primal afterwards.

Comment

Nothing wrong with eating to be happy, just don't let it derail you.

Comment

If I eat any junk food at all my weight loss stalls and I feel terrible for days. At Christmas I let myself eat some junk and it took me about 2 weeks to recover. I am gluten intolerant so that could explain part of it, but I don't agree that everyone has to eat crap every now and then. I'd rather not eat junk at all. Even though it may taste good, it's not worth it. But if that's what you want to do, and you don't have a bad reaction, then that's your choice.

Comment

Do what you want to. If you like the occasional indulgence and it doesn't cause you any problems then have at it. Nobody gets diabetes or heart disease from eating a donut every once in a while in the context of an otherwise healthy diet, you get sick from eating excessive amounts of that shit every day for years on end.It was my birthday recently and I celebrated with cake, ice cream, pizza, and some delicious ale. I had a bit of a hangover the next day, but I'm still alive and healthy and enjoyed myself on a special occasion.
            Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
            CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

I ate a box of cookies on Sunday and found that Monday was very difficult because I craved that sugar. I got through it but still wanted junk. Tuesday I got a bag of candy, ate half of it then took it out to the big garbage. It was the only way to stop myself! I feel MUCH better today, not even craving the stash of dark chocolate I keep to nibble on. (my cravings are not agitated by dark chocolate that have only 4 REAL ingredients. Candy bars are a black hole though!) So if you choose to have your junk food, go for it but remember that you will feel like crap and may have trouble getting back on the bridge you just drove off of. It's best not to beat yourself up and give up (it's not a cheat, it's a choice) but just pick up the pieces and resume life as normal.

Comment

Why eat crap like donuts when you could have something that's actually really good. Like a real pizza from an Italian restaurant that uses a brick oven or a chocolate mousse made with real eggs. If you're gonna splurge, make it truly decadent and delicious.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

It's fine if you can limit it to one donut once in a while, but if one donut once in a while becomes 3 donuts a week which becomes a donut a day which becomes a junk food frenzy, then at least be honest with yourself and cut it out completely. As always, YMMV.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

What's all this "everything in moderation" stuff lately? Life's not fun if we don't have donuts??

Comment

Why not make home made doughnuts or cookies?

I mean sure the doughnut is gonna rip through your intestines because it is wheat yet soft.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaradel View Post
                        It's fine if you can limit it to one donut once in a while, but if one donut once in a while becomes 3 donuts a week which becomes a donut a day which becomes a junk food frenzy, then at least be honest with yourself and cut it out completely. As always, YMMV.
                        +1

And I know this from personal experience - I can't have just one
                        My Journal!! (but start at page 10 lol) - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread26553.html

Weather weenie and bacon-addict who wants to get back to looking and feeling fabulous.

Comment

Originally posted by sjmc View Post
                          What's all this "everything in moderation" stuff lately? Life's not fun if we don't have donuts??
                          If I'm speaking for myself, then all grains and all sweets except dark chocolate are off limits to me, because of how they make me feel, and I'm even swearing off dark chocolate in the short term to detox after Easter and a month of backsliding in general. That stuff is off limits because I know I have no restraint when eating it, and I feel like crap when I do eat it. But I am one measly person on this planet of 7 billion, and what affects me may not affect others the same way. I am not arguing that donuts are healthy, but if a person can tolerate one and not have it turn into an uncontrollable thing, that's their business.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                            Why eat crap like donuts when you could have something that's actually really good. Like a real pizza from an Italian restaurant that uses a brick oven or a chocolate mousse made with real eggs. If you're gonna splurge, make it truly decadent and delicious.
                            Yes! If you're going to eat non-primal, there are wayyyyy better things to eat than donuts!

The only thing I see wrong with the OP's plan is if the crap food splurge is some kind of reward for "suffering' through a primal diet for 3 months. If a tasty, rich and varied primal diet isn't reward enough, then you're going about it all wrong. Don't get me wrong... I'd eat a donut if the mood and opportunity came around, but not out of some kind of reward/punishment system.
                            Sandra
                            *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Originally posted by pf3 View Post
                              I've been 3 months on a primal diet. I didn't exercise any more at all, but still lost 18 pounds. Pretty amazing IMO.

Yesterday though, I all of a sudden felt tired of eating eggs, meat, etc. and felt like eating junk food again.

So I went out to the coffee shop and ate a NICE BIG donut. I also bought some junk food at the store, such as a frozen pizza and a little candy.

After one or two days, I plan on going back to the primal diet.

What do you think? Everybody has to eat crap every now and then, right? If not, what's the fun? I'm thinking about dedicating 1-2 days to crap food eating every 1-2 months, according to my wishes. Do you think that's okay?
                              You're doing Primal wrong. Stop eating chronic low carb. You feel like crap because you haven't given your body glucose in 3 months, so your metabolism is crashing from a longterm ketogenic diet. Glucose cravings don't manifest themselves as starch cravings - it's tasteless. It manifests itself as sugar cravings, and you've been raised to associate sugar with things like cake, cookies, doughnuts and pizza. If you would eat a white potato or a banana, it would kill these feelings.

In short, start eating fruit and starch. Don't just pile them on - you'll just be piling on more calories. Remove some fat from your diet and add in fruit and starch. Subtract a tablespoon of butter every day and replace it with an apple. Switch up the ribeye for some top sirloin and a potato. If you learn to eat isocalorically - where you eat both animal fat AND glucose - you will stop having cravings because you'll never be fat-deficient or glucose-deficient.
                              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Working...
                              X