carbs and fats combined?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carbs and fats combined?

I keep hearing it's bad to eat fats and carbs in the same meal because it causes the fat to be stored. I've tried searching on here but I can't seem to find much for an answer. I was wondering if anyone knew if it's true. I know it's bad if you're eating average American high carb/high fat meals but I wasn't sure about lower carb/high fat primal meals. For example eating eggs and fruit together or fruit and nuts together. Thanks in advance!

hey outdoor girl,

when you say "you keep hearing" do you mean on the PB site in the forum conversations or are you hearing it elsewhere? Because if it's in PB forum, I suspect people are discussing very particular times in their exertion/exercise schedule or they are discussing very particular volumes of food.

I'd suggest going back to the Primal Blueprint book and read the theories discussed it in specific to insulin and fats. It's all about ratios would be the way I'd describe it--ie, if you're talking a whole grapefruit, 2 bananas and some pineapple and 1 egg, yes, I'd say that's weighted the wrong way. (some have posted eating this way, I was just using it to describe an exaggerated balance of sweets to fats)

“you aren't what you eat - you are what you don't poop.” Wavy Gravy

Today I am Fillyjonk. Tommorow I will be Snufkin.

Comment

I combine the two and maintain a BMI right in the mid-range of normal
      Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Actually its best to add fats to your carby meals to blunt the insulin spikes and provide needed fat for better assimilation of some nutrients. I see no issues with combining.

Comment

I have no issues eating Carbs and fats. Macros cAn be dialed to get a specific response but for the average person it makes little difference .
          Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

Comment

Ok thank you everyone! And I meant I keep hearing about the fat/carb combination debate outside of PB so I wanted to know what the PB view on the issue was.

Comment

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with eating carbs and fat together. The problem might be more along the lines of:

The foods that combine carbs and fat are so yummy that you tend to overeat them, especially if they are savory and sweet at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by chickenbackside View Post
                I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with eating carbs and fat together. The problem might be more along the lines of:

The foods that combine carbs and fat are so yummy that you tend to overeat them, especially if they are savory and sweet at the same time.
                This and where the carb and fat content is coming from. A fatty cut of meat and a bowl of cherries isn't the same as a cake baked with wheat, tons of sugar, and veggie oil.
                Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
                CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

I've been reading around adrenal support and the recommendation in several places is that it is best to combine your carbs/fats/proteins in the same meal and in equal proportions. If your adrenals are fine the proportions are probably not so crucial.
                  My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

Originally posted by outdoorgirl View Post
                    I keep hearing it's bad to eat fats and carbs in the same meal because it causes the fat to be stored.
                    Absolutely zero truth to this.
                    http://stackingplates.com/

Comment

I've been wondering about fat and meat together. I've read that it is bad to have too much fat with meat because it stops the gastric juices or some such thing. But I've also read that we need fat to help digest the protein. As far as eating fruit with meat or nuts, they are supposed to digest differently and when we eat fruit with other things it will ferment in the stomach. If eaten on it's own it will digest in 15-30 minutes. Then again there are those that say eating fruit with fat say, will slow down the absorption of sugar.

It's confusing!

Comment

Since fruit can ferment on it's own (e.g. wine) I can't see why adding meat or nuts would make it worse. If anything it should make it better. You need sugar and yeast to ferment and these can be found in fruit alone. The only cases I have heard of fruit fermenting in the stomach are those with major yeast infections. Then fruit provides the sugar for fermentation. If you had a yeast infection you would avoid fruit and eat the meat and nuts. If you don't have a yeast infection it probably doesn't matter. If you have low adrenal function the advice I hear is to have equal quantities of fat/protein/carbs, so maybe a piece of cheese with the fruit.
                        My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

since liver, shellfish, avocados, coconuts and plenty of other foods all combine protein, fat and carbs, i think we can definitively say that striving to separate these macronutrient classes in our meals is totally useless. nutritionism at its worst.

Comment

So what would be everyone's opinion on having a big juicy bowl of ground beef over a giant pile of mashed sweet potato mixed with butter and and a bit of maple syrup? Along with some veggies and eggs.

I love the combo of beef and sweet potato but i don't know if this would be ideal in any sense.

Comment

Its not bad to eat them together, and as mentioned it depends on what they are, but I HAVE had the best results from seperating them aka lean gains eating
                              www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Comment

Working...
                              X