Consuming Olive Oil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consuming Olive Oil

How can I get more olive oil in my diet other than on salads? I used to toast Ezekial Bread and dip it in EVOO. Now that I'm not consuming any bread, I'm finding it difficult to consume olive oil.

Pan frying, salads, sauces (mayo, tomato sauce, aioli, pesto, hummus...). coating..

Comment

i use it to saute shrimp, bake chicken, bake kale, and on salads.

Comment

knock it back neat.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
          knock it back neat.
          Yeah that's what I was going to say. When I eat a large meal I'll throw down a good swig of vinegar. If you want more olive oil, just drink the shit lol.

Comment

why do you need more olive oil, specifically, in your diet? add what you need for flavor, but it's not the ideal fat to just increase for the sake of increasing.

Comment

Right, I'm having the same trouble Jakey is having. Why would you want to add olive oil for the sake of adding olive oil? Let's not forget, olive oil is still by definition a processed food. It is NOT a whole food, and while it's not something awful like wheat flour or white sugar by any means, it's basically empty calories that contribute little to nothing for overall health but will make it considerably more difficult for you to lose weight. Weight loss by definition requires a deficit of energy, and if you're just pouring on calories for no good reason...you're making it that much harder to succeed.

Oils are tools to simply wet a pan. A single 8oz bar of Kerrygold will easily last me a month and I do 80% of my cooking in butter with a little olive oil and coconut oil tossed in there.
              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

The best thing to do is drop some olives into your plate on most meals. The olives has the olive oil and plus more. By the way, do not fry olive oil -- unless it is very low heat and very quick. Otherwise the oil will get damaged and turn bad for health.

Comment

Make
                  pesto
                  salsa verde
                  baba ghanoush (creamed aubergines)
                  brandade (creamed salt cod)

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
                    why do you need more olive oil, specifically, in your diet? add what you need for flavor, but it's not the ideal fat to just increase for the sake of increasing.
                    Rather that than huge amounts of animal fat.

Comment

Originally posted by Dailytribal View Post
                      Rather that than huge amounts of animal fat.
                      that's a poor exchange.

Comment

Originally posted by BlissfuWriter View Post
                        The best thing to do is drop some olives into your plate on most meals. The olives has the olive oil and plus more. By the way, do not fry olive oil -- unless it is very low heat and very quick. Otherwise the oil will get damaged and turn bad for health.
                        Also not true. I don't know how this myth got started. Mark even addressed this today. For at least the second time.

Dear Mark: Powdered Egg Alternatives and Heating Olive Oil | Mark's Daily Apple
                        Defending Olive Oil’s Reputation | Mark's Daily Apple

Extra virgin olive oil has always been and continues to be extremely resistant to heat. Cook with it all you want.
                        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

I dress most of my food with it and use it when steaming cabbage and kale.

Other than that, I don't obsess about consuming tons and tons of it.
                          Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
                            that's a poor exchange.
                            My bad. But since I started coming here people have been talking all about animal fats and it seemed that they were consuming a lot of it.

I guess I would like to know the difference. I'll look it up but it would be nice if you could give me some info also.
                            Last edited by Dailytribal; 04-10-2012, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Olive oil is almost 10% Omega-6 with very little Omega-3. I'm not sure I'd be looking to supplement with it. I use it on my salads and such, but I'm not really looking to increase my consumption of it over other fats.

Comment

Working...
                              X