Primal Advice for Diarrhea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Advice for Diarrhea

For the past few days I've had a sudden bout of diarrhea. Rather embarrassed to even write this but I'm pretty desperate. I'm pretty confident this isn't a virus as the problem never seems to end or get better with each time I go. I feel it is due to IBS.

A few weeks ago we had to break into my 90 year old grandmother's house to find her on the floor unresponsive because her blood sugar was low. Being that I'm extremely sensitive, have never experienced this before and am very close to her you can imagine I was disturbed. Thankfully she is fine and back to normal. However the following week was filled with a lot of preparation for her upcoming birthday party and I was on edge because I felt I needed to check on her every minute and help out (even though inside I would have liked some time to myself.)

Yada yada long story short, I felt I did not have enough time to truly recover from that unfortunate incident. I had before that been on an elimination diet suggested to me by a nutritionist I had seen and taking supplements. That said, I was too distracted to continue my diet or supplement regimen and basically binged on sweets in the days after the party. Now I don't consider myself to be an emotional eater, but I'd say this is one case where I used the wrong kinds of food as a crutch.

This past Thursday I came down with diarrhea. I have IBS and before that I had been pretty constipated (every three days I'd go.) However as time went on I realized that this was not a virus because it was spurred by painful abdominal cramps and gradually I lost less and less water but the stools are still very soft and the urgency feels like diarrhea which made me come to the conclusion that it's something wrong with my intestines or something.

Well, I'm not used to dealing with this for such a long time and it's made me afraid, depressed and embarrassed. I'm afraid to go out as the feeling can occur frequently. I'm not showing any signs of dehydration now. Actually I have to urinate every time I have the urge to go despite that I'm not taking in many fluids or food.

That being said I'm at a loss for what to do. I want to continue to go on my elimination diet but it seems all the foods that are recommended for this condition are in the bad food category (like rice and white bread etc) and I never see fruits or vegetables suggested. So I've been living off of jello, bananas and soup for the most part. I need something to add more bulk and stop the frequent urges.

Is there anyone out there who's gone through this and a certain food has helped?

Anything would be appreciated!
    F|26yr|5'3"
    1st Start: 8.25.12
    SW: 151 CW: 147 GW: -150
    HW: 195

Found this on the net during a search, and might help explain it. Seems like all that sugar did not help.
    Sugar/fat/diarrhea - ShortGut - Wiki

Comment

Look into SIBO and the GAPs diet. Likely you have issues with your gut that will need more intensive interventions to resolve.
      Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

Comment

aussiesue- thanks for the link. Uh...I do know something about what this article says but it doesn't really tell me how to rectify the problem. Obviously I need to avoid refined sugars and the like and monitor fats but I'm looking for a paleo/primal way to help my body recover without resorting to consuming grains and the other things that CW usually suggests. Thanks though!

me2-Alright thanks! And I was afraid to hear that. As I said, I don't seem to be getting rid of a large amount of water with each visit. I just get a lot of pains, urgency and soft unformed content. I suppose there's no primal foods that could help besides bananas or potatoes perhaps. But I've never heard of SIBO so I'll check it out.
        F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

I agree with some of the posts above, but you also need a short term fix. Stress, in and of itself, can cause diarrhea. Stress wreaks physical havoc in so many ways. I have had one of the most stressful years of my life, and I teach, so I cannot run to the restroom if the need strikes. On mornings when I sense a potential problem, I take an immodium capsule. You can take one or two, and IT WORKS.

It is treating the symptoms, not the cause, so yes, you need to figure out and work on the root cause (gut issues).

But in the meantime, you need to be able to go in public without fear of being stricken with having to go and NOW.

Immodium really does work.

Sorry to hear about your grandma and all you've been through. Hope you can get some relief (short and long term) soon!
          My journal

Comment

I'll second the immodium. There is one called immodium plus, that you can chew, and is for gas also. Handy to have a couple in your pocket. Here is another site that gives a few foods to help, although not sure about the apple sauce as I know once I had apple cider and it went through me so fast you wouldn't believe it.
            Foods That Stop Diarrhea | LIVESTRONG.COM
            Last edited by aussiesue; 04-08-2012, 08:11 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Comment

This may be a long shot, but you might want to look at taking alkaline foods or alkaline forming foods to balance your PH. Most leafy greens are alkaline. As are egg yolks.

Comment

Slippery elm is a good herbal cure

Comment

Angieh- While I'm rather dubious about using Immodium (and most drugs) I'll give it a try. I'm not used to taking that so I don't know how it will affect me. I hope it's non-habit forming. I'd only want it for if I were to go out. I plan to see the doctor tomorrow and I'm quite afraid to leave home but I will ask my mother to pick some up when she goes out early.

aussiesue- Thanks for the link and I will give the Immodium a try (for temp use only)

macadamon- I had tried lemon water in the past but not recently but I will try that tomorrow along with eggs (which I like but at times it can get boring, but I'm not complaining haha) I avoided greens because I thought the added fiber would be bad and often only cooked vegetables seem appropriate if you have diarrhea but thanks for that and I'll try it.
                  F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

Meat only. Elaine Gotchall says when symptoms are severe.....

Comment

Angieh is on the right track with the Immodium. Getting back into normal life events (exercise, sunlight, fun events) without adding the worry/stress of unwanted bathroom breaks will go a long way to returning you to health. Immodium has not been habit forming in my experience (I am a once every couple of years user of this product, mostly tied to travel). The instructions on the box give you guidelines of when to stop using and get more help.

Giving your mind a break will allow you to focus more clearly on seeking out the root cause(s).
                      Kevin

Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives.
                      William James
                      US Pragmatist philosopher & psychologist (1842 – 1910)

Comment

Hmm...well I know some people can get really "clogged" and messed up using Immodium.
                        As I said, before this instance I was constantly constipated. It seems I'm switching extremes (and I'm starting to think the constipation wasn't nearly as bad.) But I SUPPOSE one pill tomorrow may not hurt. I'm sorry but I am a super cautious person when it comes to my health/body.

IBS is starting to take a toll on me and I pray I have the strength to continue to deal with it. I've not been able to be constantly primal/paleo because of utter confusion.

But thanks bikeirguy
                        F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

Originally posted by Byakko View Post
                          Hmm...well I know some people can get really "clogged" and messed up using Immodium.
                          As I said, before this instance I was constantly constipated. It seems I'm switching extremes (and I'm starting to think the constipation wasn't nearly as bad.) But I SUPPOSE one pill tomorrow may not hurt. I'm sorry but I am a super cautious person when it comes to my health/body.

IBS is starting to take a toll on me and I pray I have the strength to continue to deal with it. I've not been able to be constantly primal/paleo because of utter confusion.

But thanks bikeirguy
                          I've been suffering with constant diarreah for about 6 weeks. It has cleared up for the last 3-4 days by IF'ing, and only eating one very primal meal a day. Immodium did not help, caused painful gas and cramping, and as soon as the pill wore off the symptoms returned with even more severity.
                          The more I see the less I know for sure.
                          -John Lennon

Comment

Like Shalimar said, slippery elm bark is very soothing. It usually comes in a powder from the health food store. Mix a tablespoon with a mug of warm broth and let it stand a little while. It'll kind of thicken. It's actually good for all the mucus membranes.
                            I would avoid the Immodium.

Comment

Originally posted by Byakko View Post
                              Angieh- While I'm rather dubious about using Immodium (and most drugs) I'll give it a try. I'm not used to taking that so I don't know how it will affect me. I hope it's non-habit forming. I'd only want it for if I were to go out. I plan to see the doctor tomorrow and I'm quite afraid to leave home but I will ask my mother to pick some up when she goes out early.

aussiesue- Thanks for the link and I will give the Immodium a try (for temp use only)

macadamon- I had tried lemon water in the past but not recently but I will try that tomorrow along with eggs (which I like but at times it can get boring, but I'm not complaining haha) I avoided greens because I thought the added fiber would be bad and often only cooked vegetables seem appropriate if you have diarrhea but thanks for that and I'll try it.
                              That's exactly how I use it -- emergency only. I take it maybe 2x a month, my husband probably takes it 1x or sometimes 2x week (he has lots of gastro issues). It essentially stops the problem, so you do not have an emergency in public!

I agree though about getting to the root cause and hope our doc can help with that. I would also send the question to Robb Wolf -- he is so good with those kinds of questions. Good luck!
                              My journal

Comment

Working...
                              X