Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fructose Malabsorption

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Thanks for all of the great tips and links, everyone.

    He seems like sweet potatoes just fine, so I try to get him to eat those often. We do plenty of good, dark chocolate. It doesn't cause me problems, nor him, and we love it.
    Am I still allowed to lick rocks on this diet?

    I was a vegetarian once. You should have seen my awful cholesterol back then...

    5'8"
    SW 220 lbs / CW 200-ish lbs / GW 160 lbs

    My paleo blog: http://meatbabe.wordpress.com

    Comment


    • #17
      Banana/cocoa smoothie sounds great. I haven't tried making almond milk from scratch, but the commercial varieties contain gums that give us major GI issues.
      Am I still allowed to lick rocks on this diet?

      I was a vegetarian once. You should have seen my awful cholesterol back then...

      5'8"
      SW 220 lbs / CW 200-ish lbs / GW 160 lbs

      My paleo blog: http://meatbabe.wordpress.com

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by zizou View Post
        Great to hear on your new found success. I too have ravaged my body which has left me with various digestive conditions, as a result of a bodybuilding diet i used to follow, which ofcourse was high in carbs coming from all sources. I wasn't listening to my body which was giving a plethora of signs, but i ignored it as i wanted to continue 'bulking'. How i regret it now.

        I'm currently thinking of employing a cycle strategy, where i have carb load days and mainly veggies+fat+protein days to hopefully balance out inflammation and whatnot. Thanks for sharing your story.

        Btw whats your meal plan like on average?
        Thank you.. Yes!, My body is changing, & I like what I feel.. Sounds like you are "cleaning" things up too..

        For now I'm trying to mix it up a little, but my focus is a big steak @ dinner, & big lunches.. Trying to keep calories relatively high in order to maintain my weight.. Again, loading up good fats.. Typical day goes like this..

        No breakfast (intermittent fasting has been great for healing up digestive system as well)
        I will drink 2 big glasses of water as soon as I wake up

        Lunch (around 1-2pm, cooked @ home)
        6 whole eggs (cooked in probably 3 teaspoons of Olive Oil)
        whole avocado (not half like I read that some eat.. I Love Avocados.. Think its a fantastic food)
        banana
        1 cup of full fat yogurt

        Dinner
        1-1.5 lb of Steak or Salmon
        a little veggie of some sort maybe

        I have a cheat meal or 2 during the week where I eat whatever I want, till I can't see anymore.. ha.. Over time, I've cleaned up the cheat meals.. I don't even crave loads of Mexican, Pizza, ice cream, etc.. My body reacts horribly when I cheat now, so when I say I "cheat" I'll load up on an all-you-can-eat meat type of deal @ a buffet, with a potato, some fruit (cantaloupe & honeydew feel good in my stomach, & have no effect on me) & just tons of meat.. This seems to keep my weekly caloric intake up overall & my weight stable.. I'm kind of an "ectomorph" that loses weight relatively easily, so I've always battled keeping weight on..

        That's kind of the gist of it.. If I feel my calories are getting too low to maintain my weight of 160-163 lbs, I've taken a few olive oil shots before or some form of protein & fat.. But eating the above seems to keep my body balanced in weight, & health.. I'm a bit too robotic when it comes to routine, so I really have to force myself to "mix it up" every once in a while to take in different types of nutrients.. None-the-less, I feel like my body is on autopilot & cruising in recovery mode.. (from years of hammering my body on a high-calorie SAD diet) I just feel better now that I ever have, & like I mentioned earliet look really really lean.. No allergies, sleeping good, skin looks good, etc.

        Hope this helps.. Let me know what you're eating.. I'm going to work in some coconut @ some point.. Haven't really experimented with it that much, but think its clean & will supply some more good fat for me.. Looking forward to playing with it..

        Comment


        • #19
          Likewise i start my day with 2 glasses of water (the similiarities are eery ), for breakfast i will typically have 2 eggs, saurkraut+gherkins and sausage. On my more carb days it will be include white and sweet potatoe cakes on top.

          Lunch is generally big portion of meat+veggies likewise similiar for dinner. My carb sources are white and sweet potatoes, white rice and various root vegetables.


          For fats i eat avocados a fair bit, fish both canned and fresh and i snack on veggie sticks with some sort of fatty dip (mayonnaise, olive dip and tahini). In terms of dairy i only have kefir and rarely kefir cheese. Fruit wise i have banana's mainly 1 every couple days usually in smoothie with kefir. Due to my FM issues, i avoid most fruits and now fruit in general and unfortunately i don't get to enjoy some vegetables which i'd like to include such as cauliflower and other not so friendly veggies.

          I am about 6'4" and weigh approximately 72kg which is underweight for my height, i've lost about 10kg since becoming 'sick' and most of it was from my bulk phase. Like you i jsut want to be healthy, don't care anymore about gaining all the mass, aslong as i have my strength and leanness i'll be happy. Oh and clear skin is always a big motivator and healthy trips to the toilet!

          I would love to add some coconut in my diet, especially to try some curries.. but i am hearing mixed opinions on its safety regarding FM, so i avoid it for time being.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by zizou View Post
            I would love to add some coconut in my diet, especially to try some curries.. but i am hearing mixed opinions on its safety regarding FM, so i avoid it for time being.
            Yeah, coconut does a number on me. I don't know if it's fructose, specifically, or fructans. I might be willing to try a small amount with some beano if it's fructans.
            Am I still allowed to lick rocks on this diet?

            I was a vegetarian once. You should have seen my awful cholesterol back then...

            5'8"
            SW 220 lbs / CW 200-ish lbs / GW 160 lbs

            My paleo blog: http://meatbabe.wordpress.com

            Comment


            • #21
              Apparantley coconut oil should be tolerated, coconut meat and milk should be problematic.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
                What about a low fructose smoothie??? (I know you said no smoothies)

                Coconut milk, some almond butter, lots of baby spinach, and some frozen berries. (Whatever amount he is allowed)

                Also, I would start feeding him coconut milk (the nice creamy stuff) as much as he will tolerate it. Chilled it's quite lovely.

                You can also make yogurt out of coconut milk, bypassing the dairy allergy. As for getting more veg into him, that just takes time and Mama cunning. Hide them where ever you can, inside of meat sauces for instance.
                NOOOOO!

                NO coconut milk, it is awful for a FM sufferer. It is a fructan (so is coconut meat but pure EV Coconut Oil is fine and quite beneficial).

                I am only learning about all of this now after finally self-diagnosing myself with Fructose Malabsoption. Until now, for almost 2 years I thought I was gluten intolerant. When I found MDA and switched to eating primaly, I felt absolutely fantastic UNTIL I started adding fruit back into my diet and experimenting with coconut curries big time, lol. Now that I know what is going on, I feel fantastic and happy again. Primal Diet works amazingly well for Fructose Malabsoption as long as you stay away from free fructose AND fructans (wheat, coconut, onion family, etc.)
                Last edited by letsdothatagain; 04-10-2012, 05:57 PM.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by abc123 View Post
                  Great link above here..

                  I suffer from forms of this as well.. I've found my digestive system has healed quite well by going almost ZERO Carb, or at most VLC (with exception to a banana for breakfast which seems to set fine with me).. Its not only fructose for me, its Sweet Potatoes, Rice, White Potatoes, pretty much starch in general is not a friend of my guts.. Too much fiber as well simply tears up my stomach, so even even vegetables have to be eaten in moderation..

                  So I've played with raising my Fat quite a bit & seeing how I feel.. I eat a lot of red meat, full-fat yogurt, 6 eggs for breakfast, a whole avocado every day, fish of course any other type of protein from clean meats I can find.. I notice virtually ALL bloating, inflammation, skin irritation, allergies, & gassy-ness has disappeared.. My skin looks fantastic.. I feel great, I don't get tired after eating.. For me, its an issue with most carbohydrate in general..

                  Most of my research & "cure" has come from IBS research.. My digestive system seems to get aggrevated by carbohydrates.. I eliminate carbs, & my stomach has relaxed & my body looks & feel fantastic.. So, for me it wasn't only about fructose, starch was included in my digestive issues.. Typically one irritant (in your case fructose) could manifest into issues with other types of carbohydrate.. Getting control of this now is key, gotta rebuild & strengthen digestive tract again. I believe, eliminating most carbohydrates in my diet has allowed me to pull in more nutrients & vitamins from other foods that I eat.. Seems the fiber & sugars have wreaked havoc on me for quite some time & has interupted absorption of nutrients coming from foods that go down with the carbs.. High Protein, High Fat has been the ticket to fixing this for me..

                  I've also started supplementing with "cod liver oil", a probiotic, & a 1-a-day for men.. I feel great but elimination & some patience with low to Zero Carb has calmed my body down & improved digestion
                  this is exactly what i have experienced as well. the key to better passage through the digestive tract is definitely keeping the good fats high. butter sits okay with me when I am otherwise "zero carb" and i've found that it can be a great aid-- i can get that organic grass fed kind at the local King Kullen, oddly enough, and the price is okay.

                  i took a probiotic for a while, and it made things worse-- turns out the filler and binder in the probiotic was fructose. FAIL.
                  Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
                  Friend me on "The Facebook"
                  Follow me on Twitter!

                  For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by ASmallOne View Post
                    this is exactly what i have experienced as well. the key to better passage through the digestive tract is definitely keeping the good fats high. butter sits okay with me when I am otherwise "zero carb" and i've found that it can be a great aid-- i can get that organic grass fed kind at the local King Kullen, oddly enough, and the price is okay.

                    i took a probiotic for a while, and it made things worse-- turns out the filler and binder in the probiotic was fructose. FAIL.
                    Nice to hear a few experiences are the same as mine.. Sometimes it can be loney feeling you have the rare case few can relate too!

                    I read a great analogy the other day comparing the effects of carbsl on the body vs high fat.. Found it here in this link ---> Scientific Proof Carbohydrates Cause Disease 1/3/04
                    (this guy is somewhat of a radical, but a lot of what is written in the article my body tends to agree with)

                    The quote/paragraph I like that may relate somewhat to this thread states: "A low metabolism is ideal for long life and good health. A high metabolism excites hormones in the body that eventually cause age-related diseases. A low metabolism is analogous to diesel engines that are known for longevity and high mileage without a breakdown. Diesel fuel is an oil that the engine uses for energy similar to fats in the diet. A high metabolism is analogous to a nitro-methane drag racer that gives a tremendous burst of energy but explodes after a few races. The nitro-methane fuel is fast burning similarly to sugar in the diet.

                    As an IBS/irritated digestive tract/carb-sensitive sufferer, I find myself trying to sloowwwww things down.. Carbs just run through me, & "excites" my body.. The idea of high fats as a diesel engine that calms down the metabolism, & slows digestion is the balance I need.. Carbs provide fire that heats up the metabolism providing quick burst of energy that leads to crash tells the story of my body right now.. Eliminate the carb (even the good ones including the beloved sweet potato), raise the fat, & I'm absorbing more nutrients, stablizing energy & my poop looks fantastic..
                    Last edited by abc123; 04-10-2012, 06:07 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by abc123 View Post
                      Nice to hear a few experiences are the same as mine.. Sometimes it can be loney feeling you have the rare case few can relate too!

                      I read a great analogy the other day comparing the effects of carbsl on the body vs high fat.. Found it here in this link ---> Scientific Proof Carbohydrates Cause Disease 1/3/04
                      (this guy is somewhat of a radical, but a lot of what is written in the article my body tends to agree with)

                      The quote/paragraph I like that may relate somewhat to this thread states: "A low metabolism is ideal for long life and good health. A high metabolism excites hormones in the body that eventually cause age-related diseases. A low metabolism is analogous to diesel engines that are known for longevity and high mileage without a breakdown. Diesel fuel is an oil that the engine uses for energy similar to fats in the diet. A high metabolism is analogous to a nitro-methane drag racer that gives a tremendous burst of energy but explodes after a few races. The nitro-methane fuel is fast burning similarly to sugar in the diet.

                      As an IBS/irritated digestive tract/carb-sensitive sufferer, I find myself trying to sloowwwww things down.. Carbs just run through me, & "excites" my body.. The idea of high fats as a diesel engine that calms down the metabolism, & slows digestion is the balance I need.. Carbs provide fire that heats up the metabolism providing quick burst of energy that leads to crash tells the story of my body right now.. Eliminate the carb (even the good ones including the beloved sweet potato), raise the fat, & I'm absorbing more nutrients, stablizing energy & my poop looks fantastic..
                      I love the quote above. And I am just bumping this thread because self-diagnosing FM has been HUGE for me. And I am eager to learn more and more. I just can't believe that, for the past two years, I thought I was gluten intolerant and I was SUPER paranoid about even trace amounts of gluten when my problem actually has been Fructiose Malabsorption all along. I have learned now that if I stay away from onions (a major trigger fructan for me) I can actually handle a small amount of wheat with NO problem which is a total shocker. Now, I have absolutely no interest in eating gluten or any grains really again but it feels awesome to finally figure out what is going on with my body. And Fructose Malabsoption to me is no big deal compared to gluten intolerance so I am super excited about this. Please keep more posts coming and share your experience as a Primal Fructmal.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by abc123 View Post
                        I suffer from forms of this as well.. I've found my digestive system has healed quite well by going almost ZERO Carb, or at most VLC (with exception to a banana for breakfast which seems to set fine with me).. Its not only fructose for me, its Sweet Potatoes, Rice, White Potatoes, pretty much starch in general is not a friend of my guts.. Too much fiber as well simply tears up my stomach, so even even vegetables have to be eaten in moderation..

                        So I've played with raising my Fat quite a bit & seeing how I feel.. I eat a lot of red meat, full-fat yogurt, 6 eggs for breakfast, a whole avocado every day, fish of course any other type of protein from clean meats I can find.. I notice virtually ALL bloating, inflammation, skin irritation, allergies, & gassy-ness has disappeared.. My skin looks fantastic.. I feel great, I don't get tired after eating.. For me, its an issue with most carbohydrate in general..
                        Hi abc123,

                        Just want to second that I've done exactly what you've done (including probiotic homemade yogurt+kefir, fats and protein), with similar success. I only got 60% better when I just focused on fructose and fructans. I really lowered my wheat consumption, although I was convinced that it wasn't a problem for me personally (although it is a part of FM), but it was only when I totally eliminated grains that I started to feel amazing. No brain fog, no fatigue, no more skin problems, less back pain (which had been a big problem), lots of energy, and much better digestion.

                        It takes some creativity to eat the full range of primal/paleo vegetables and fruits and stick with the FM restrictions, but it's worth it!
                        Last edited by gumboots; 04-16-2012, 08:06 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by letsdothatagain View Post
                          NO coconut milk, it is awful for a FM sufferer. It is a fructan (so is coconut meat but pure EV Coconut Oil is fine and quite beneficial).
                          Hi there,

                          The newest research out of Australia (Jaci Barrett) reports that coconut milk is actually not a FODMAP -- it only has a small amount of polyols, but less than what normally qualifies. I was surprised to hear that since I can't tolerate coconut milk at all, nor can a lot of people I've talked to. Not sure what's in it that's a trigger if not FODMAPS, but I stay clear in any case.

                          (Aaaand I just accidentally drank some tea with chicory in it. Off we go!)
                          Last edited by gumboots; 04-16-2012, 08:14 AM. Reason: typo fail

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by gumboots View Post
                            Hi there,

                            The newest research out of Australia (Jaci Barrett) reports that coconut milk is actually not a FODMAP -- it only has a small amount of polyols, but less than what normally qualifies. I was surprised to hear that since I can't tolerate coconut milk at all, nor can a lot of people I've talked to. Not sure what's in it that's a trigger if not FODMAPS, but I stay clear in any case.

                            (Aaaand I just accidentally drank some tea with chicory in it. Off we go!)
                            Interesting info. I would LOVE to figure out what it is then that makes me feel truly vile after coconut milk. I do eat a fair amount of extra virgin coconut oil with no ill effects and, interestingly, fresh (the kind you get from a grocery store, with skin and all, you have to crack to open) coconut I can tolerate in small amounts just fine also. But canned coconut milk/ cream is a no go (and it is not the gums, other junk in it, I made sure the stuff I get is 100% coconut, no additives of any kind). Does anyone know? I figured I cannot eat ANYTHING out of a can/ package no matter how "primal/ paleo friendly" is might be.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              WATER KIFIR and FRUCTOSE INTOLERANCE

                              Hi
                              I've been primal for 6 years, But after being treated with antibiotics for a parasite i have now been diagnosed as Fructose intolerant ( FI) , as i wasn't FI before the antibiotics I'm guessing i have a bacterial imbalance. i get a lot of headaches especially if i try to take probiotcs.
                              Can anyone tell me if i can take water Kifir as a Fructose responder? i hear that the final product is pure Fructose but its so beneficial for gut flora that i wondered if anyone else has tried it with FI.
                              I am also a Coeliac, Lactose intolerant.
                              Thanks Suze.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X