Coconut Flour & Weight Loss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
    I eat the fake SAD food once in a while, but it's better for me if it doesn't get too interesting. Are you IFing ever? I find that if I do that, by hungry-time anything looks good.
    I occasionally, accidentally IF. By that I mean, I miss lunch because I was away from home without a good, reasonably priced option. I've been thinking about the "eating window" strategy. The thing is, I am SO hungry in the morning and dinner is a family thing. I feel like lunch is the best meal for me to miss. As far as planned day fasts, I haven't done any yet.

Possibly a stupid question... Am I technically breaking a fast with a couple almonds or a carrot? It probably does break the fast because it could take the body out of keto, right?

i got sick of eggs for breakfast, but now when I cook them in butter or bacon fat and add some avocado, plus they're not as firmly cooked as before (yolks are still runny now), I enjoy them a lot more. I don't even really like avocado, it's bizarre.
    I do love me some bacon fat

Do you do dairy?
    Thick greek yogurt and berries....nom.
    I haven't really decided. I know that I'm lactose intolerant, but can get away with small amounts of dairy. I don't see it as a long-term option, but I guess it could be good once a week or so!

Also, on topic... I need to "re-teach" myself to eat non-breakfast food for breakfast!
    This is not a great reason, but I like a go-to food in the morning. I don't like having to think about making left-overs for breakfast, lunch, and possibly dinner. I just want to know that I eat x & y for breakfast... I should get over it.
    Began Primal 3/26/12

Height: 5'1'', HW: 215, LW: 98, SW: 137, GW: 110

CW: 128

Follow me! http://humblehappyhealthy.wordpress.com/

Comment

i just eat a sausage patty every AM. With a cup of black double espresso. I used to love my homemade blueberry whole grain waffles and it was one of the hardest things to give up but i did it, and it was pretty ez b/c let's face it, sausage tastes better than waffles. when they were gone, no mas waffles. I am the worst baker ever and am a total fail at every psuedo flour recipe i have ever tried. It's a lot easier to just stick to meat and veg.

we only eat eggs for breakfast on the weekends so no egg burnout here. that would suck. I love eggs!

Comment

sausage patty is def go to - i just cook a bunch one day of the week & then they are ready for me in the fridge - nuke for 20 seconds while making coffee - ez and fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Spubba View Post

Another good breakfast idea: that leftover grilled steak from last night. Slice and eat.
          Leftover....? Leftover?!?!

Originally posted by Spubba View Post
          How do duck eggs taste? I never see them in stores and am beginning to wonder if people even eat them.
          Not so much taste difference, but imagine the yolk being richer, creamier, butter-ier...so unctuous you have to lick it off your teeth. And for a similar sized egg, I find them much more filling.

Comment

yeah well said...coconut floor is very tasty food but no idea for weight reduction as it contains much cholesterol.

Comment

Promisingly nope... It makes us to feel drowsiness if we take at morning itself. So try to avoid taking in morning and take at night.

Comment

I found a great and easy recipe for Coconut flour bread. It's very dense, moist and addictive. I had to stop making it for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by adr617 View Post
                  Hey my primal pals,

Question about the primal/paleo pancakes and waffles floating around. I am interested in trying some for breakfast because I am getting TIRED of scrambles. Mark posted about coconut flour here & mentioned that the net carbs is really low. If attempting to lose weight, do you think coconut flour breakfast foods are an okay option?

Personal experience?

Thanks, y'all!
                  Bob's Red Mill Coconut Flour (2 Tablespoons/14g): 60 calories
                  Bob's Red Mill Tapioca Starch (2 Tablespoons/14g): 46.7 calories

Assuming you are eating the same weight in pancakes, you will have better luck using tapioca starch than coconut flour since is it lower calorie. And since tapioca starch much more closely resembles all purpose flour, you'll get a more traditional result. I do like the flavor of coconut flour with honey, though.

That being said, there is no such thing as a "Primal pancake." The very phrase is a contradiction. If you want something similar, I'd recommend baking sweet potatoes until they're very well caramelized and mashing them with some tapioca or potato starch to dry them out. Then fry them accordingly. Or you could just dry out the potato very well. IMO, that's the closest to "Primal" you're going to get - pure sweet potatoes mashed and fried is clearly a whole food. No flour is.
                  Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 05-04-2012, 07:51 AM.
                  Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

My food addiction is so strong that trying to substitute all the SAD foods I crave with a Primal equivelant is, in itself, sad. It is like a carnivore going vegetarian by eating fake meat subs. like soy-based burgers or fake chicken. If your imperative is weight loss, like me, then there must be a fundamental relationship change with food in general. Taste, while important for a normal person, is the road to destruction for me. I let my life-long habits create a 450lb. man. Now, I have flipped all those traditions over. Meal titles mean nothing, holidays and special occaisions are no longer excuses for eating.

Comment

I keep a batch of scotch eggs in the fridge for quick grab and go breakfast. Delicious. Also a casserole with layered sweet potatoes, spinach, eggs, and sausage makes breakfast a snap. Just cut a square, warm it up and you have breakfast. When my kids want waffles I buy Van's Gluten free since frozen waffles do not tempt me in any way. I have made these pumpkin muffins (minus any frosting) as well and they were a nice treat. I subbed the syrup for 1/4 cup honey and added a little applesauce. i left out the walnuts since I avoid heating nuts. I think they would make a decent pancake too.
                      Gluten Free Pumpkin Muffins

Comment

Japanese pancake a friend made for me once:

shredded cabbage
                        egg
                        flour (a spoonful or so)
                        onion
                        maybe she put water in there, can't remember.

Fry in pan. Put ponzu sauce and/or mayonnaise on top. Until I met her, I had no idea Japanese people liked mayonnaise so much. She put mayo in sushi, she put it in everything.

Anyway, there's a new "pancake" for you. Just use starch instead of flour and mess with the exact ratios (basically, the batter should be very thin).
                        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post

shredded cabbage
                          egg
                          flour (a spoonful or so)
                          onion

Fry in pan. Put ponzu sauce and/or mayonnaise on top. Until I met her, I had no idea Japanese people liked mayonnaise so much. She put mayo in sushi, she put it in everything.

Anyway, there's a new "pancake" for you. Just use starch instead of flour and mess with the exact ratios (basically, the batter should be very thin).
                          Sbhikes: this sounds tasty!! I'm going to try it next week when I do my food shopping. Ty

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post

shredded cabbage
                            egg
                            flour (a spoonful or so)
                            onion

That's basic okonomiyaki, normally it has pork or shrimp too though. Rice flour works well for that, and yes they LOOOVE mayo. Mayo, corn and potato pizza is a fave western food. Of course, they might have one slice once a month....
                            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
                              I found a great and easy recipe for Coconut flour bread. It's very dense, moist and addictive. I had to stop making it for a while.
                              Could you give me the recipe for this bread John?
                              Id be interested to see it.
                              I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

Comment

Here is the link to the recipe: coconut flour bread

This recipe made a small loaf since the bread doesn't rise much. So, I doubled it, and used a regular size bread tin, and it came out like normal size bread. I had to extend the cooking time about 5-10 minutes, so you may have to adjust as well.

I actually made some last night. I will have a slice here and there for a week or so until it's gone. I have tried making a sandwich with it. Normally I will have it plain or have a little honey on top.

jt

Comment

Working...
                                X