Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ihop Omelets (Pancake Batter????)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ihop Omelets (Pancake Batter????)

    So I enjoyed a nice (what I thought was semi-primal) western omelet at Ihop. When inputting the food in my Iphone food tracking app, nothing came up for Ihop omelets. I searched the internet to find out how many eggs they use for their GIANT omelets. Every source on the internet says 3 eggs. I've made 3 egg omelets at home, but they NEVER are as big as IHOPS. After digging a little further, I found out that they put pancake batter in them to make them fluffier. Can anyone confirm this? I feel like I've been duped.

  • #2
    Even if they don't all restaurants to some extent have gluten cross contamination so sure you just ate gluten.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm not too worried about a little cross contamination. But I don't want to be eating spoons full of pancake batter when it's supposed to be eggs. I read that you can request eggs only. I'll try that next time...(whenever that will be)

      Comment


      • #4
        Yes, it's true, they absolutely put pancake batter in their eggs.

        I've known this for over 10 years, and that's why I never go there
        cuz there isn't anything I can eat there.

        That is, yanno, unless I want to get a fried egg... which I can just make
        at home for like 25 cents.

        The add the batter to their scrambled eggs as well.

        Losers.

        Comment


        • #5
          Yes, they do add batter to their omelettes. This was confirmed by my server a while back when trying to keep my carb level down while there a year ago.

          Comment


          • #6
            It seems they do add some pancake batter, though I am not sure how much.

            some links...

            check the comments: Top Secret Recipes | IHOP Country Omelette Recipe

            The omelette is a dietary landmine at IHOP! - National Extreme Weight Loss | Examiner.com

            there are others but I figure you do not need 10 links saying the same thing.

            Comment


            • #7
              Yes IHOP omlettes have omlette batter added. YOu can ask to have them made with eggs and cream only and add an egg or two. That's how I manage when eating there.
              Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

              Comment


              • #8
                Yes, they do. And even if they didn't, the junk most restaurants (including gourmet ones) use for scrambled eggs & omelettes is just chock full of ick. BUt if you ask for a fried egg, you get a real one, so the little known secret is that they do actually have real eggs back there. Ask for yours to be made with "shell eggs." Or if the waitress looks confused (she should know the lingo), ask for it to be made with "real eggs in shells."
                5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

                Comment


                • #9
                  They actually note it on their menu some where in tiny print that their omelets have pancake batter in them. I've tried to get an omelet there without batter but they refused to make it. Over easy is the only thing I'll get in restaurants. Even diners use pancake batter so it's not just IHOP you have to worry about.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The pancake batter is the least of your worries. That's the healthy part compared to the rancid soybean oil it was fried in - a much bigger issue than gluten for 99% of us, which is constantly overlooked in this community because so many perceive this as a "low carb diet." I'd rather eat pancakes than vegetable oils.
                    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Poached eggs are probably your safest option, if they will make them. Some places won't make them.
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                        The pancake batter is the least of your worries. That's the healthy part compared to the rancid soybean oil it was fried in - a much bigger issue than gluten for 99% of us, which is constantly overlooked in this community because so many perceive this as a "low carb diet." I'd rather eat pancakes than vegetable oils.
                        According to the American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association, 50 million Americans have at least one autoimmune disease. I've seen enough studies to firmly believe that gluten is a huge component in this. Inflammation, too, so crap oils are definitely a big deal. But it's a lot more than just 1% of us that also need to be concerned with getting stealth wheated.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by DaisyEater View Post
                          According to the American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association, 50 million Americans have at least one autoimmune disease. I've seen enough studies to firmly believe that gluten is a huge component in this. Inflammation, too, so crap oils are definitely a big deal. But it's a lot more than just 1% of us that also need to be concerned with getting stealth wheated.
                          I didn't say that only 1% of us should be concerned with gluten. I said 99% of us should be EVEN MORE CONCERNED about PUFA oils than gluten. Most people will be able to live a perfectly productive and happy life with mild allergies to cats and dogs or an occasional acne breakout. Soybean oil is far more deadly than gluten. My point is that people don't have their priorities in order. The PUFA oil situation is a far more damning reason to avoid restaurants and cook your own meals than some minor (and usually irrelevant) gluten cross-contamination. Gluten is bad and we'd all be much better off avoiding it, but vegetable oils are killing far more people than gluten.

                          Carb count is irrelevant. "Carbs" aren't making us fat and sick. Toxins are. People around here think they are doing themselves a favor by ordering a chicken breast sandwich at a restaurant without the bun when the chicken breast itself was marinated and sauteed in soy oil. These people need a reality check. The reality is the soy oil is a far bigger issue than the bun, and most of us are better off eating steamed chicken in a bun than naked chicken breast fried in chemically-extracted GMO-rapeseed fat.
                          Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 04-06-2012, 11:08 AM.
                          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                            I didn't say that only 1% of us should be concerned with gluten. I said 99% of us should be EVEN MORE CONCERNED about PUFA oils than gluten. Most people will be able to live a perfectly productive and happy life with mild allergies to cats and dogs or an occasional acne breakout. Soybean oil is far more deadly than gluten. My point is that people don't have their priorities in order. The PUFA oil situation is a far more damning reason to avoid restaurants and cook your own meals than some minor (and usually irrelevant) gluten cross-contamination. Gluten is bad and we'd all be much better off avoiding it, but vegetable oils are killing far more people than gluten.

                            Carb count is irrelevant. "Carbs" aren't making us fat and sick. toxins are. People around here think they are doing themselves a favor by ordering a chicken breast sandwich at a restaurant without the bun when the chicken breast itself was marinated and sauteed in soy oil. The reality is the soy oil is a far bigger issue than the bun, and most of us are better off eating steamed chicken in a bun than naked chicken breast fried in chemically-extracted GMO-rapeseed fat.

                            Personally, I think if we eat fairly strict primal 95% of the time, and occasionally eat out, I don't think a small amount of rancid oils, gluten contamination, or pancake batter will kill us. I'm sure our bodies can handle it. But I at least want to if I'm eating eggs, or pancake and eggs. I'm not going to be so strict that I can't sit down in Ihop with my GF or with friends and actually order some food off the menu other than a bowl of unripe fruit or a poached egg. That's just a recipe for failure, IMO. You referenced this diet not being a low carb diet, well, it sort of is. 50-150g of carbs are low by just about anybody's standards. Is it a healthier low carb diet than say Atkins that encourage diet soft drinks and artificial sweeteners? Sure. But it's still a relatively low carb diet. We are training our bodies to use fat as fuel instead of carbs. I'm only 3 weeks into this thing, so feel free to correct me wherever I'm mistaken.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                              The pancake batter is the least of your worries. That's the healthy part compared to the rancid soybean oil it was fried in - a much bigger issue than gluten for 99% of us, which is constantly overlooked in this community because so many perceive this as a "low carb diet." I'd rather eat pancakes than vegetable oils.
                              I'd rather not eat them both, but you're right cooking oils are frequently overlooked.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X