X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Long term" effects?

It'll put lead in yer pencil.

Comment

Can you think of anything that improves actual health in the short term but is detrimental in the long term?

Aah- the philosophical question has finally been asked. Remember KathyH from a couple of weeks ago? ABSOLUTE certainty, as if we must know something exhaustively before we can ever make a move in any direction isn't an option for any of us. I detect a whiff of disingenuity. BTW NWPRI, you are the coolest and the best-looking. What a smile!
      Last edited by Terry H; 04-05-2012, 05:57 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

One day (white) rice will be "primal"

Comment

Originally posted by ASC View Post
          Yes, I have had blood work done. My blood test results below:
          •Cholesterol:243
          •Triglyceride:44
          •HDL:78
          •Low density lipoprotein calculated:156

•Glucose, fasting:103

I'm guessing my body fat is around 10% because my abs are slightly visable. But I really have no accurate way to measure.

More details about my diet and blood work in this post: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread49711.html
          Did you ever figure out why your BG was so high? You may indeed benefit from some rice or potatoes...
          Lifting Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
            Did you ever figure out why your BG was so high? You may indeed benefit from some rice or potatoes...
            Or benefit from removing? Not sure how added carbs would improve blood glucose -- can you please explain? (Not being a jerk; really do want to know what you mean!)

My A1C and blood glucose both improved tremendously when I went paleo, and I've always ascribed it to dropping grains and sugar.
            Steph
            My Primal Meanderings

Comment

The fact is some of us in the primal/paleo community are going to die early regardless of how much we stick to this lifestyle. Many will die because of clogged arteries, strokes, cancer or other common ailments. Some of it is genetics, some of it is based on the various combinations of food intake, pollution, etc. It would take at least 10-20 years of social studies to determine how our specific lifestyle really affects longevity.

Comment

Originally posted by NWPrimate View Post
                Can you think of anything that improves actual health in the short term but is detrimental in the long term?
                I suppose you could say many modern medical interventions would fit this definition. Although you might have to lower your bar for what constitutes 'health'. For example, I had a hysterectomy. This restored me to a greater state of health, however one definition of health says that a healthy person has all their internal organs, so I have to lower the bar for what health means.
                Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Yeah, I actually thought about this question while falling asleep last night.
                  I realized it's not as cut and dry as I might have originally postulated.

For example, I think if you were a fast food junkie, switching to a vegan juice fast for a week or two would probably do your body a world of good and you would get healthier. But of course, this is not a long term sustainable strategy.

Oh well...everybody types some dumb shit once in a while. I rescind my hypothetical question.

Comment

For sure, chronic low carb tends to raise fasting BG.

That's what needs to be questioned.
                    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by onalark View Post
                      Or benefit from removing? Not sure how added carbs would improve blood glucose -- can you please explain? (Not being a jerk; really do want to know what you mean!)

My A1C and blood glucose both improved tremendously when I went paleo, and I've always ascribed it to dropping grains and sugar.
                      Slowly increasing BG after long term low carb(and reversal with increased non-grain, non-sugar carbs) is pretty common in the paleo sphere.

Your experience with grains and sugar is to be expected, but the issue is the toxins, not the macronutrients.
                      Lifting Journal

Comment

Slowly increasing BG after long term low carb(and reversal with increased non-grain, non-sugar carbs) is pretty common in the paleo sphere.

Your experience with grains and sugar is to be expected, but the issue is the toxins, not the macronutrients.
                        Common, but is it universal? I mean, does low carb SPECIFICALLY increase BG, as in, it's the trigger/catalyst; and no other factor - bar none?

Again, I think it's necessary to have a distinction among the carb family, as carbs can come in many forms, just like protein can come from other forms. Although, some forms are more optimal sources than others.
                        If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

From what I can gather, the "paleo" and "primal" movements are new, and so there is no long-term study that exists that catalogues their long-term health. Likewise, there aren't a lot of people following these diets in general and then there are also many formations of these diets, so even then the population shrinks again.

So it's really not that easy to get any statistical data that is useful.

Ultimately, you simply need to decide how you want to eat and then. . . eat that way.

I was convinced by people like mark and his wife, and many other paleo folks (particularly women) who looked much younger than their years as compared to other women on other diets of the same age and for the same amount of time (15-20 years).

I found that more convincing, honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by dbalch View Post
                            "And I hope you're not suggesting that the Standard American Diet is an alternative. Eating dirt is probably a better alternative to SAD.
                            Ah, so that's why the toddler in my class whose parents (on a good day) send her a PB&J sandwich and a fruit cup, tends to smear the sandwich and "fruit" on her face... and then persist in eating dirt outside. Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by Aldergirl View Post
                              Ah, so that's why the toddler in my class whose parents (on a good day) send her a PB&J sandwich and a fruit cup, tends to smear the sandwich and "fruit" on her face... and then persist in eating dirt outside. Sigh.
                              Ha ha ha. Too funny. & kinda sad.
                              Began Primal 3/26/12

Height: 5'1'', HW: 215, LW: 98, SW: 137, GW: 110

CW: 128

Follow me! http://humblehappyhealthy.wordpress.com/

Comment

Alright, I'll put my thoughts out here...

I feel good eating primally. I don't eat lactose because I don't digest it (most of the population doesn't). I don't eat gluten because I don't digest it (most of the population doesn't & doesn't realize the intolerance). I don't eat sugar because it feels like poison (again, sugar is not really necessary for any of the population-it helps us in no way, unless you're in diabetic shock... still could be remedied by fruit). I don't eat beans because they're difficult to digest (someone told me that it can take a body up to two years to fully adjust to eating large quantities of beans... I have no source.sry.). I don't feel like I am missing out on any vitamins or minerals by ditching gluten substitutes, such as bean flours. Adequate carbohydrates can be eaten through fruits. I like the taste and feel of rice, but it never keeps me full-unlike primal foods. Since eating primally, my vegetable intake has gone WAY up. I don't see the consumption of good-quality, grass-fed, local (if possible) meat an issue. I think we were made to digest meat... Just like cows are made to digest grass, making their products better and more full of vitamins. I think us eating natural meat and veggies keeps us healthy.

I know this might be controversial, but I'm going to say it anyways. I'm a Bible-believer and I'm not entirely sure the paleothic period actually existed, so I'm not really sure who ate what-when. However, I do know that I feel like junk when I eat processed crap. But I feel awesome when I'm eating lots of veggies, meat, some nuts, some fruit, and good fat. I'll continue to eat primally until my body tells me something different.
                                Began Primal 3/26/12

Height: 5'1'', HW: 215, LW: 98, SW: 137, GW: 110

CW: 128

Follow me! http://humblehappyhealthy.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X