No announcement yet.

"Long-term" effects of Primal Diet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you're getting too hung up on...well, everything. If eating primal makes you feel good, do it until it stops feeling good. And why do you have a goal of living to 100? I want to live until I'm of no use to anyone, especially myself, then I want to drop dead. I want my family to dig a small hole and roll me off into it, then say "Hey, I've got some ribs in the fridge, y'all wanna have a BBQ?"
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Comment

Live long. Drop dead.

Some people are wound too tight for living.

Relax. Eat. Enjoy life.

-Voyageur

There is a huge difference between talking about how to do something and getting it fucking done.

Comment

Originally posted by Voyageur View Post

Live long. Drop dead.

Some people are wound too tight for living.

Relax. Eat. Enjoy life.

-Voyageur

As Jimmy Buffett once said, "I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
        If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Comment

Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
          How do you feel? Have you had blood work done? If so, how are your #s ie body fat %, HDL/LDL, triglycerides, fasting glucose etc. Some paleo proponents like Jack Kruse this eating lower carb has an anti aging effect on the body through preserving telomere length.
          Yes, I have had blood work done. My blood test results below:
          •Cholesterol:243
          •Triglyceride:44
          •HDL:78
          •Low density lipoprotein calculated:156

•Glucose, fasting:103

I'm guessing my body fat is around 10% because my abs are slightly visable. But I really have no accurate way to measure.

More details about my diet and blood work in this post: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread49711.html

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina6688 View Post
            What you're missing is the fact that not all paleolithic humans died young. Many survived past the age of 30. The ones that made it to old age do not show the signs of modern disease. Therefore, no risk.
            Can you site sources of information regarding paleolithic humus who live to older ages with no signs of modern disease? I have not been able to find much.

Comment

Originally posted by jsa23 View Post
              But the question still stands. To our ancestors, the greatest threats to survival/causes of death were not longevity-related, but rather illness/accidents/other dangerous aspects of everyday life. The upshot of this is what was critical for our ancestors was being strong, agile, and disease-free into middle age - and thus things that might have negative long-term effects once one reaches 50(or older) were really not all that important from an evolutionary/adaptation perspective.

So I think it's a fair question - the odds are very good that such a diet is great for health/viability over the short and moderate-term, but I'm not sure the question of long-term effects has really been answered. Though in fairness, I don't believe the same questions have truly been answered regarding long-term effects of some components of the "standard" american diet, nor certain "safe"(as declared by the FDA) food additives, either.
              Getting back to the original point of this post. Does anyone know of any data regarding the long-term effects of a primal diet?

Comment

Originally posted by ASC View Post
                Getting back to the original point of this post. Does anyone know of any data regarding the long-term effects of a primal diet?
                Isn't that covered under the study of hunter gatherer societies and archeological findings?

Comment

So ASC, what is it exactly that you plan to do differently from the basic primal blueprint/paleo diet? What is the part that has you concerned? Is it the saturated animal fat? The lack of grains? Lack of beans/legumes? Too much meat and you'd rather eat plants? Not enough cheese? Just curious because most diets, even the ADA or AHA healthy diets, will tell you to eat more vegetables and fruits, so apparently that part of the PB isn't an issue. So which part is the issue?
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

I mean here is some research Published Research | The Paleo Diet If your answers aren't there read some more. Follow the citations of every paleo book ever written. They all have quite a few of em. Then there is always this Google Scholar

BTW this thread coulda stopped right here IMO

"I think your question is backwards, since primal doesn't introduce new foods. More accurately, the question you seem to be asking is "Does gluten, seed oils, excessive fructose, pesticides, unfermented soy, etc. somehow prolong life?" -Apex Predator

Comment

We made it through to the industrial age without becoming extinct?

Whether we can make it from here is just a guess. If we do survive, I'm thinking it'll be due almost entirely to scientific advances that keep mortally ill people alive virtually forever.
                      Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                        Isn't that covered under the study of hunter gatherer societies and archeological findings?
                        I'm looking for studies that show long-term effects. When I say long-term, I mean for those that live into their 60's, 70's, 80's.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                          I mean here is some research Published Research | The Paleo Diet If your answers aren't there read some more. Follow the citations of every paleo book ever written. They all have quite a few of em. Then there is always this Google Scholar
                          I still can't find anything data for long-term effects.

Comment

I still can't find anything data for long-term effects.
                            Can you think of anything that improves actual health in the short term but is detrimental in the long term?

Comment

Originally posted by NWPrimate View Post
                              Can you think of anything that improves actual health in the short term but is detrimental in the long term?
                              Mass quantities of sugar!

Makes me happy then makes me feel like shit.

Actually, anything that artificially increases dopamine then makes you crash.
                              Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                                Mass quantities of sugar!

Makes me happy then makes me feel like shit.

Actually, anything that artificially increases dopamine then makes you crash.
                                That's why I felt compelled to say actual health... not perceived well being.
                                In that case, the list would be pretty long.

Comment

Working...
                                X