Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sugar substitute besides Stevia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sugar substitute besides Stevia

    Just about the only place there is still sugar in my diet is my coffee. I tried Stevia and it was the most horrible thing I have ever tasted. I know just about everything else is just chemicals. Please help me rid my life of sugar- George
    Modern Combative Systems Blog

  • #2
    I, too, think Stevia is abominable. On the other hand, a teaspoon of sugar in a cup of coffee isn't going to destroy you. I drink my coffee unsweetened. I started years ago putting less and less sugar in my coffee until I no longer needed to sweeten it and nowI can't drink it any other way. While I prefer it lightened with some cream, I can also drink it black.

    Comment


    • #3
      Lots of cream
      My chocolatey Primal journey

      Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

      Comment


      • #4
        Might try another brand. I hate all the "spoon for spoon" formulations, and all the liquid ones as well, they're bitter and/or have a bad aftertaste. But the pure powder concentrate is fine. It's very concentrated, I use about 1/10th of a tsp in my coffee and it's not far off my standard two spoons or three packet of sugar in terms of sweetness.

        The brand I like is New Roots "Sweetleaf", comes in 15g or 30g containers. A 30g container is good for over a month, with 4-5 cups of coffee/tea per day.

        Comment


        • #5
          Neither of these have any detectable aftertaste.

          Wisdom Natural SweetLeaf Stevia Clear Liquid -- 4.06 fl oz - Vitacost
          Stevita Spoonable Stevia -- 16 oz - Vitacost
          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

          Comment


          • #6
            i use a little stevia and lots of organic heavy cream.

            Comment


            • #7
              I don't see what's the problem with putting a teaspoon of coconut sugar, sucanant or raw honey into your coffee to sweeten. There are 16 calories in a teaspoon of sugar. There are 100 calories in 2 tablespoons of heavy cream. Which do you think matters more? Your body can absorb a teaspoon of sugar without "breaking a fast" - that's just glycogen partitioning. 100 calories of heavy cream (nearly pure fat)? Guess again.
              Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                - that's just glycogen partitioning.
                Can you explain more in detail how this works? Or give direction with a link. xD
                My chocolatey Primal journey

                Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

                Comment


                • #9
                  dextrose

                  It's two glucose molecules where sucrose is one fructose and one glucose molecule. It's not as sweet as sucrose but you can sweeten stuff with it.
                  Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Guess I am a gonna try honey. I am a retired cop and coffee junkie, not in that I drink it all day but that my two cups in the morning and one in the evening are a huge part of my routine. I have had all kinds of coffee but my favorite is instant made by my wife. So much so that I have here prepack it when I travel, even though it does not taste the same. The problem is she uses two tsps of sugar per cup (so total 6 in a day), and a splash of milk. Might have to just wean myself down to no sugar over time I guess. Thanks for the insight- George
                    Modern Combative Systems Blog

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      not a good choice. Honey is high in both fructose and sucrose and will contribute to raising you VLDL (pattern B) cholesterol which will lower your HDL. 60 Minutes did a spot this past weekend on sugar but that spot was based largely on this youtube video: Sugar the Bitter Truth.

                      Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                        Can you explain more in detail how this works? Or give direction with a link. xD
                        Carbohydrate is not directly stored as body fat. It is first partitioned to glycogen storage. Only when you overspill glycogen stores is the excess stored as adipose tissue. If all you're using is 1-2 teaspoons of sugar, we are talking about 4-8g of carbohydrate. After an overnight fast, your morning coffee with 4-8g of sugar will be easily partitioned by your body into glycogen stores. The issue comes in when an sedentary American with mostly full glycogen stores wakes up in the morning, drives to Starbucks and has a sandwich on a croissant and chases it with a hash brown and a 24 oz coffee loaded with 40g of sugar from some nasty syrup. ANY iteration of the Primal Blueprint is going to be low carbohydrate vs the SAD, and 1-2 teaspoons of sugar is never going to overcrowd your glycogen stores or become toxic in your blood. The average American averages 500g of carbohydrate a DAY. On my heaviest lift days, I struggle to eat 300g worth of real, whole food carbohydrate and I purposely try to get my carb count high. That's THREE POUNDS of sweet potatoes, and you're coming in 40% under the SAD. I challenge you to try eating 3lbs of sweet potatoes daily.

                        Originally posted by Scott F View Post
                        not a good choice. Honey is high in both fructose and sucrose and will contribute to raising you VLDL (pattern B) cholesterol which will lower your HDL.
                        Patently false. Raw honey doesn't impact your triglycerides and VLDL. The issue is with isolated, processed sugars. Raw honey and fruit all contain fructose, but they're also packed with enzymes and micronutrients that mitigate the negative effects of white sugar or HFCS, where these beneficial cofactors have been removed. BTW, Lustig should drop about 40 lbs for his health. Maybe he should eat some fruit instead of choking down sticks of butter.
                        Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 04-04-2012, 11:11 AM.
                        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mercop View Post
                          Guess I am a gonna try honey. I am a retired cop and coffee junkie, not in that I drink it all day but that my two cups in the morning and one in the evening are a huge part of my routine. I have had all kinds of coffee but my favorite is instant made by my wife. So much so that I have here prepack it when I travel, even though it does not taste the same. The problem is she uses two tsps of sugar per cup (so total 6 in a day), and a splash of milk. Might have to just wean myself down to no sugar over time I guess. Thanks for the insight- George
                          I too thought I could never drink my morning latte without some kind of sweetener. Then a funny thing happened: I started eating paleo, and cutting out all the added sugar (blueberry muffins, smoothies, ice cream, etc.) had the effect of changing my taste buds. I started cutting back more and more on my sweetener each morning until lo and behold, I was drinking my latte with nothing in it but espresso and whole milk. And it tastes great! I've now gone one step further and cut out ALL coffee during the week to help with my insomnia, but I do still enjoy a small latte on weekend mornings. Just hold the sugar.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                            Carbohydrate is not directly stored as body fat. It is first partitioned to glycogen storage. Only when you overspill glycogen stores is the excess stored as adipose tissue. If all you're using is 1-2 teaspoons of sugar, we are talking about 4-8g of carbohydrate. After an overnight fast, your morning coffee with 4-8g of sugar will be easily partitioned by your body into glycogen stores. The issue comes in when an sedentary American with mostly full glycogen stores wakes up in the morning, drives to Starbucks and has a sandwich on a croissant and chases it with a hash brown and a 24 oz coffee loaded with 40g of sugar from some nasty syrup. ANY iteration of the Primal Blueprint is going to be low carbohydrate vs the SAD, and 1-2 teaspoons of sugar is never going to overcrowd your glycogen stores or become toxic in your blood. The average American averages 500g of carbohydrate a DAY. On my heaviest lift days, I struggle to eat 300g worth of real, whole food carbohydrate and I purposely try to get my carb count high. That's THREE POUNDS of sweet potatoes, and you're coming in 40% under the SAD. I challenge you to try eating 3lbs of sweet potatoes daily.



                            Patently false. Raw honey doesn't impact your triglycerides and VLDL. The issue is with isolated, processed sugars. Raw honey and fruit all contain fructose, but they're also packed with enzymes and micronutrients that mitigate the negative effects of white sugar or HFCS, where these beneficial cofactors have been removed. BTW, Lustig should drop about 40 lbs for his health. Maybe he should eat some fruit instead of choking down sticks of butter.
                            Good because I don't trust you (or me) I trust Biochemist Mat Lalonde's opinion. And in his OPTexperience.com seminar he specifically says don't eat these sugars: Agave Nectar (its the worst), High Fructose Corn Syrup, table sugar, brown sugar, turbinado sugar, maple sugar, molasses, honey, candy, rice syrup, cocnunt tree sap nectar or sugar, sorghum syrup, any type of syrup
                            Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Scott F View Post
                              Good because I don't trust you (or me) I trust Biochemist Mat Lalonde's opinion.
                              So you would put yourself in the hands of a single persons interpretation? I dunno if that is such a good idea either. I don't "trust" anyone. I listen to what they have to say and either agree or disagree based both on their presentation of the data and my own knowledge base of the subject.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X