Leaking Microwave ovens!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking Microwave ovens!

I never gave my microwave oven a thought! I put food in and it comes out hot. End of.
    What I didint realise, or even think about, was the implications of a leaky MW.
    Apparently it can cause cataracts, dizziness, headaches and possibly things that are not linked to leaky MWs yet.
    I certainly get dizzy and headaches, but I dont know if I can put it down to my old MW though.

I decided to test it and this is a proven way of effective checking for leaks.

To test it, switch your mobile phone on and place it in the microwave and shut the door. DO NOT SWITCH IT ON!
    Then ring it from another phone. If it rings, it shows waves are getting in, which means they are also coming out! It needs replacing.

Looks like I need to go shopping!
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

What possesses people to look up this stuff? From most places I've looked, this is a bunch of bunk. Microwave ovens run on a different frequency than cell phones. I you really want to know if your microwave leaks, buy a proper detector and use it.

Comment

This does sound like an urban legend....can anyone verify ?

Comment

Microwave Cooking: microwave oven, microwave oven repair, microwave ovens

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_spectrum

If your microwave is undamaged, you're fine. That grill/mesh over the glass is designed to filter out the radiation.

Comment

Total bunk! The microwave has a protective cage like a Faraday cage built into it to prevent the microwaves from getting out. It doesn't block all radio waves.

Now if your door seal is messed up or the microwave and/or door is otherwise defective, then you should be just fine.
            Last edited by DavidR; 04-04-2012, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynna View Post
              What possesses people to look up this stuff?
              What possesses people to be so rude?
              I bow down to your superiority!

Comment

Funny you should mention this. A friend of mine was over the other week and insisted on doing this test in my microwave. It didn't ring.
                FaceBook: PaleoMusings

We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

Comment

Originally posted by curlygirl View Post
                  Funny you should mention this. A friend of mine was over the other week and insisted on doing this test in my microwave. It didn't ring.
                  It didint? Thats interesting. Why would some ring and others not? Hmmmm.......

Comment

To me the Microwave is the devil...in every way.

Comment

Originally posted by Rattybag View Post
                      What possesses people to be so rude?
                      I bow down to your superiority!
                      I don't understand why people post information without actually looking into it themselves to verify whether or not it has validity. The same goes for urban legend emails. Most of this information is fairly verifiable. Posting or forwarding these false rumors, urban legends or pseudo-information just perpetuate them.

From what I understand the waves put out by a microwave oven are fairly short, so if you're really worried about it, just don't stand right in front of it when you're using it.

Comment

According to this, this test should be valid with a 2.4GHz cordless phone. I think WiFi devices are also in that range.

Comment

Working...
                        X