No announcement yet.

Yes, you MUST eat fat!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can accept "EAT MORE FAT." I just find it had to wrap my mind around eating it straight up (Butter from the stick, oil from the jar.) My mind balks.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Comment

Hehe - 6 months ago I didn't think it was possible either. Now, I down half a cup of coconut oil without problems.

Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Comment

After reading Mark's post on "Nuts" today, I realized maybe I am consuming too many per day (around half cup per day). Really enjoy eating a variety of nuts since going pb about 2 years ago. Maybe that's why I may have trouble losing the last of the BF besides eating not enough food?!

Lot of good posts, here. Think I'll try eating more animal fats, cook with the good oils, avocados, and coconut milk. See what happens.

From what I've read increasing the fat intake is a must too as I consume 50g to 85g a day. Hopefully this will help improve my energy level and recovery from crossfit wods!

Comment

Butter, dairy cream and lard are my go-to fat sources for dealing with lean meats like whitefish and (ughghg) chicken breast. But I eat whole chickens alot, including the heart, liver and giblets, and the fat content overall is right on target.

Comment

fireandstone, how much fat do you think you consume each day?

Comment

"(Butter from the stick, oil from the jar.) My mind balks."

Agreed. Even Dr. Atkins said that if you eat butter by the stick, you won't lose weight ("you don't have to count calories, but calories do count")

Comment

I am a little confused. I understand the concept that I should eat a lot of fat, and limited carbs... but could someone give me a ballpark for protein? I'm 53, female and 126 lbs. I just started sprinting, and plan to continue doing so around 4 times a week.

Thanks

Comment

Also, could someone explain to me why protein causes in increase in insulin???

Thanks again

Comment

This article is supposed to "explain why it is possible to have an elevated blood glucose while eating essentially only meat and fat."

http://lowcarb4u.blogspot.com/2009/07/how-can-eating-excess-protein-raise.html

"In muscle cells the branched-chain amino acids have two possible fates. First, when branched-chain amino acids enter a muscle cell, they promote protein synthesis.

Second, if there is an excess of amino acids in the muscle cells, the surplus branched-chain amino acids enter the pathway of energy production." (called the glucose-alanine cycle).

"If this pathway is correct, it shows that excess amino acids not only provide the raw materials for glucose synthesis in the liver, but they also require additional glucose synthesis in the liver in order to allow branched-chain amino acids to be converted into energy."

Comment

Dr Kurt Harris answers the question 'Can dietary fat be stored as bodily fat?'

http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2...a-lock-on.html

Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
                      Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
                      No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
                      Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Comment

"fireandstone, how much fat do you think you consume each day?"

I eat about 3000 calories per day, out of which 200g (800 calories) is protein, 30-50g of carbs (120-200 calories), and the remainder is fat. So about 2000-2100 calories of fat.

Comment

Bumping, for the newbies.
                          Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Nice one Griff, cheers.

Comment

I cook with my left over bacon grease as much as possible. Many people use coconut oil but I found that for my palate the bacon flavor goes with more things then a coconut flavor.
                              "Live Free or Die"

Comment

Anybody got any tips on what to do with hot lard after frying eggs in it? I don't want to just pour it on the eggs, it'll go everywhere!
                                The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
                                Blog
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X