Milk and body fat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milk and body fat?

Is there a connexion between dairy and stalling out on weight loss? I'm trying to figure out if this is all in my head or not.

Generally, self impression is that when I go dairy free I feel like I become more lean, and when I do partake of dairy regularly, I tend to, uhm, increase body fat.

I don't know if this is all in my mind, or if this is a possible "known truth" about some people and how they react to dairy. I don't have lactose intolerance (as far as I know), and I don't feel like I have less energy when I drink milk. I just seem to get tubby.

--Me

many of us, myself included do not lose weight when taking in dairy ... that being said i gave it up when i switched over and besides butter or occasional heavy cream in small amounts i have none ..

other things like nuts, fruit, etc sometimes slow weight loss too .. change 1 thing at a time and see what works!

milk = cow puss .. not designed for you
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Comment

I definitely stalled on my fat-loss if consuming dairy products especially yoghurt and it gave me that puffy look.

Comment

Dairy messes my body up on all levels. Are you constipated? It has that effect also in addition to making you fat.

Comment

Milk does negatively effect my body. It makes me hold onto water and I do gain weight.

I have no problem with fermented milk products. I eat lots of cheese and lots of yogurt. No problems at all.

Comment

Originally posted by adamm View Post
            Generally, self impression is that when I go dairy free I feel like I become more lean, and when I do partake of dairy regularly, I tend to, uhm, increase body fat.
            trust yourself!

Comment

I'm good w dairy and dumped those last #'s when reduced meat and added more dairy.

Comment

Go with the n=1 result - doesn't matter what it does to other people If you get puffy after eating it, don't eat it. But I think you will find that many others agree with you. My own little n=1... I cut dairy and simultaneously seriously fell of the paleo wagon in the form of sugar (but still kept out dairy - think too many pints of coconut ice cream, dark chocolate and skittles - sigh). In the last 3 months I think I have consumed 1-2k "extra" calories per week compared to what I used to eat and have managed to not gain weight... part of me thinks it is the lack of dairy that is somehow connected. Could be a crap theory though.

Comment

Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
                  Dairy messes my body up on all levels. Are you constipated? It has that effect also in addition to making you fat.
                  To be honest, I don't think I've ever been constipated in my entire life. I tend to be on the looser side of things

Also, as a type 1 diabetic, skipping dairy (heavy cream) in the morning with my coffee lowers my insulin requirements by 50%. Dairy in the evening, however, with a meal, doesn't have any impact.

--Me

Comment

yep it did for me, even small amounts.

Comment

I would love to see something more than anecdotal evidence when it comes to dairy and weight loss stalls.
                      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                        I would love to see something more than anecdotal evidence when it comes to dairy and weight loss stalls.
                        I agree with this. Unless you're chugging kefir by the glass or you're lactose intolerant, it shouldn't cause a stall more than anything else. If you use dairy and watch your calories I don't see why you couldn't lose weight. I eat a couple tablespoons of cottage cheese when I feel hungry and it satisfies me until my next meal.
                        An avocado a day keeps the doctor away!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                          I realize that it's not a study exactly, but here is Lyle McDonald's take on dairy (milk specifically).

I'm of the opinion that dairy in moderation is fine. Just bear in mind that it's really easy to over use and therein becomes scapegoat for a fat loss plateau or stall. YMMV.
                          http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

you will not see any hard facts, because it isnt for everyone .. it does however seem to be a majority

and most that say it doesnt effect them have never taken a month or two off to see .. it REALLY made me feel better to walk away from it
                            started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Comment

Working...
                            X