Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How evil is bread for someone with a healthy weight?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How evil is bread for someone with a healthy weight?

    And who has no problems eating bread?

  • #2
    If one throws any allergy/intolerance issues out the window, Bread is still typically a source of high-glycemic, empty calories. Not really an ideal food source, no matter how you slice it. (Horrible pun, somebody shoot me now)

    Ultimately, it's like other grain-based carbohydrate sources, except with an added dose of potential allergy/intolerance issues. And bonus bad points for some of the supermarket breads, which sometimes have undesirable added ingredients like HFCS and industrial oils.
    Last edited by jsa23; 04-01-2012, 05:27 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      I guess pancakes stack up the same?
      65lbs gone and counting!!

      Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

      Comment


      • #4
        If you're going to eat it, it should be an occasional thing. I eat it occasionally. Try to find a good sourdough. Or buy some flour made from einkorn wheat and make your own. Einkorn is an ancient non hybridized wheat that seems to cause fewer problems than modern varieties. That being said many people here will tell you bread is the ultimate evil and not to touch it. In the long run its your body and you have to decide what's best for you.

        Comment


        • #5
          The bad boy in bread is the gluten content (though there are others like WGA). Unfortunately gluten is what gives bread its bready texture, so without gluten you get something more cake-like.
          Gluten content varies with the grain with wheat showing the highest - rye has less gluten. It also differs with the variety of wheat: Manitoba flour has a very high percentage of gluten.
          The traditional sourdough preparation degrades gluten, as does long fermentation in general. Your run-of-the-mill-baker usually cannot afford this time-consuming process.

          Gluten is (at least partly) responsible for a leaky gut, so if you have any allergies or autoimmune issues, you'd better stay away.

          That said, I make a very good ciabatta and when I have guests, I will produce a loaf and maybe eat a slice or two. I start the making of the dough about 36 hours before I put the bread in the oven. On the other hand I have become a bread snob and will not eat bread which is inferior to my own. Haven't met many.

          Comment


          • #6
            The thing is, you don't usually see the effects that various foods have on you until you're my age. Then you're a very active 47 and can't see any reason why you shouldn't have a perfecty functioning body because you don't FEEL old, but your body has a crap ton of damage to it that you can't even see. Eliminate the wheat and you can actually tell a big difference.

            So it's kind of like smoking. You can't see the daily damage, but it's most likely there, and it will catch up to you and smack you upside the head one day.
            Durp.

            Comment


            • #7
              Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Bread | Food For Life

              what about the ezekiel breads? They are all sprouted and are flourless. I don't make it a daily staple, but I do eat this sometimes.
              An avocado a day keeps the doctor away!

              Comment


              • #8
                I think it is just up to you. The problem for bread and I was that bread was a food group and eaten like say, we should eat veggies- every meal, every day. Other people have some nasty wheat side effects.

                Maybe view it as a treat- like cheesecake or ice cream.... if you really like it. I feel like Baba about bread- I would not bother with gluten free or ezekial. If (and when) I have bread again, it will be my own.

                http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                  The thing is, you don't usually see the effects that various foods have on you until you're my age. Then you're a very active 47 and can't see any reason why you shouldn't have a perfecty functioning body because you don't FEEL old, but your body has a crap ton of damage to it that you can't even see. Eliminate the wheat and you can actually tell a big difference.

                  So it's kind of like smoking. You can't see the daily damage, but it's most likely there, and it will catch up to you and smack you upside the head one day.
                  I agree with this. Wheat contains lectins which may in fact *accumulate* in the body. To reduce the effects you can take n-acetyl glucosamine but it isn't typically on health food store/drugstore/big box shelves and isn't cheap.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
                    I agree with this. Wheat contains lectins which may in fact *accumulate* in the body. To reduce the effects you can take n-acetyl glucosamine but it isn't typically on health food store/drugstore/big box shelves and isn't cheap.
                    I agree too.

                    If you're not gluten intolerant then occasional bread as a treat (part of your 20%) isn't going to kill you. If I wasn't gluten intolerant I would eat bread occasionally for the convenience factor when on holiday, dining out, travelling, etc.

                    I'm convinced that anyone is better off not consuming bread as a staple, in the long run.

                    I tried making some flatbread using buckwheat and that was delicious, but I couldn't tolerate it unfortunately. If you really want to eat bread as a treat then I think it's best to make your own primalised versions.
                    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The Primal Blueprint is not about losing weight. It's about being healthy. I want to scream this at the top of my lungs:

                      THERE IS TOO MUCH FOCUS ON THIS FORUM ABOUT WEIGHT LOSS!!!

                      Seriously. Weight loss is just incidental to being healthy on this "diet".

                      Yes, you can eat bread if you want. No one is stopping you. And if you maintain a proper balance of calories, then you can eat bread and not get fat. When it comes to fat, it pretty much comes down to calories so if you want, you can have a diet of bread, soda, ice cream and Cap'n Crunch and not be overweight if you don't overeat the calories that your body needs.

                      So congratulations: you are a person at a healthy weight who is anything but healthy. I can easily overeat calories on the Primal Blueprint, be 30 pounds overweight and be considerably healthier than you are being at your "ideal weight" eating bread. Bread is highly, highly inflammatory, and it not only completely lacks nutrition, but the anti-nutrient profile is so high, it will cause you to have issues storing nutrients from the decent food you are eating. There are hundreds of thousands of skinny diabetics out there. Simply put: if you don't care about your health and overall well-being and just care about some arbitrary number on a scale, you're on the wrong forum. There are plenty of forums out there with people eating pasta made out of wood chips and choking down whey protein and "low carb bread" in a effort to "lose weight" with no regard to health.
                      Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 04-01-2012, 12:51 PM.
                      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by VTmeetsMontréal View Post
                        Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Grain Bread | Food For Life

                        what about the ezekiel breads? They are all sprouted and are flourless. I don't make it a daily staple, but I do eat this sometimes.
                        INGREDIENTS: Organic Sprouted Whole Wheat, Filtered Water, Organic Malted Barley, Organic Sprouted Whole Millet, Organic Sprouted Whole Barley, Organic Sprouted Whole Lentils, Organic Sprouted Whole Soybeans, Organic Sprouted Whole Spelt, Fresh Yeast, Sea Salt.

                        "Sprouting" does very little to make wheat more digestible. It does remove some of the toxic properties of wheat, but it's a drop in the bucket. All sprouting does is deactivate enzyme inhibitors. It does little to nothing to reduce phytic acid content, it does very little to reduce lectins such as wheat germ agglutinin (WGA) and doesn't affect gluten content. All the irritants are still intact in the wheat, and now you're going to mix it with lentils and soy, too? That makes it even worse because you're bringing phytoestrogens into the equation.

                        Another issue that has to be addressed: flour goes rancid in a few days after grinding it. I doubt they are grinding their own flour and immediately using it, so you're more than likely buying bread high in rancid PUFA's. Wheat is actually pretty low in fat, but you're throwing in all these other sources of PUFA's. That's a fatty, rancid loaf of crap.

                        The only way to really get decent bread is to:

                        -Buy your own non-GMO wheat berries.
                        -Sprout them yourself.
                        -Dehydrate them and grind them into flour with a grain mill within minutes to hours of making your dough.
                        -Ferment the freshly ground flour in lactic acid (baker's yeast + Greek yogurt or kefir) for at least 72 hours to deactivate most of the WGA and gluten.
                        -Bake.

                        And even then, you're not deactivating all the nasties, just a majority of it. Even if it were possible to deactivate 100% of the bad stuff in bread, it's still a completely empty, nutritionless source of calories.

                        I consider Ezekiel bread garbage. You're better off buying a non-sprouted sourdough because the fermentation process is more crucial than the sprouting process - and be aware that baker's yeast fermentation is very ineffective at reducing the bad stuff in wheat. It's lactic acid fermentation that's successful, and to my knowledge no one is doing that!
                        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                          [

                          The only way to really get decent bread is to:

                          -Buy your own non-GMO wheat berries.
                          -Sprout them yourself.
                          -Dehydrate them and grind them into flour with a grain mill within minutes to hours of making your dough.
                          -Ferment the freshly ground flour in lactic acid (baker's yeast + Greek yogurt or kefir) for at least 72 hours to deactivate most of the WGA and gluten.
                          -Bake.

                          And even then, you're not deactivating all the nasties, just a majority of it. Even if it were possible to deactivate 100% of the bad stuff in bread, it's still a completely empty, nutritionless source of calories.

                          I consider Ezekiel bread garbage. You're better off buying a non-sprouted sourdough because the fermentation process is more crucial than the sprouting process - and be aware that baker's yeast fermentation is very ineffective at reducing the bad stuff in wheat. It's lactic acid fermentation that's successful, and to my knowledge no one is doing that!
                          I agree with this message.....

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X