No Red meat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Red meat

For 20 years I have only eaten chicken and fish, if I don't get red meat in my diet, do I need extra supplementation?
    Nobody can imprison your power of imagination.

Restarted the journey:
    SW: 153lbs (Starting date - 05/08/2013)
    CW: 146lbs (13/08/2013)
    GW: 130lbs

Naw.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Depends on what else you eat, as well as your age and gender. If you are a per-menopausal female you need lots of iron and, by not eating red meat, you are passing up a good source of iron. So, unless you are eating lots of chicken liver, or lots of iron-rich vegetables like spinach, you might want to take an iron supplement.

Comment

fish is pretty awesomely comprehensive if you eat a variety of species (fatty and lean).... you could track your micronutrients on cronometer.com if you are really concerned!
        Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
        Friend me on "The Facebook"
        Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Comment

Why no red meat??
          Sandra
          *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Depends on what else you eat, as well as your age and gender

Comment

Tons of fish is probably better for you than red meat, anyhow, but who eats a pound of fish every day?
              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Originally posted by Lizard View Post
                For 20 years I have only eaten chicken and fish, if I don't get red meat in my diet, do I need extra supplementation?
                Have you used any nutrition software, on- or offline, to check your macronutrient and mineral intake, especially your electrolyte mineral intake?

Comment

Thx for the info guys (32 year old female).

I grew up eating so much meet and I had a iron difficiency and very low blood pressure, and whenever I used to eat red meat I felt tired and sloggish (15 years).

I stopped eating red meat (and eggs) and only chicken breasts (no liver) and fish, at the age of 16 years my blood pressure and iron went back to normal.

I started adding eggs to my diet about 6 mnths ago and I'm doing fine. Just had the underactive thyroid issue (T3) the last year and I think that confused all the hormones in my body that caused me to gain 4 lbs and feeling crappy. (5.4f and 129 lbs). I experienced a lot of cravings (nuts & cheese since gaining wait) and started Primal a week ago. (previous diet for about 15 year included no fat at all, only fish & chicken, and some cheese once a month)

I have gained weight since Primal (was 127 nou 129lbs)

Restarted the journey:

Comment

Do you eat eggs? Do you eat the "whole fish"? Do you eat shellfish? If so then you are just fine.

If I lived coastal I would probably opt for this sort of diet, but being in the midwest BEEF it is!

Comment

Neckhammer, yes I do eat fish & eggs and shellfish, and really feel blessing living by the coast & to enjoy all the seafood available. I guess we just adapt to what is available and convenient for us

Restarted the journey:

Comment

I read a article today of Mark about testosterone and Vit D. I think that is one of my main issues at this stage(underactive thyroid), my testoterone hormone count is 0.5 and should be 3.2 for a women at 32 and I don't take any Vit D supplements & zinc (muscle loss and lack of energy/cravings). Will go to the stores tomorrow to get some Vit D and stopped the pill for the testosterone issue. Also I feel like I crave and eat a lot of much protein & see some jounals with 90g protein, 70 carbs and 110 fat. Don't really know how to accomplish that. Or is that the way to lose weight, more fat than protein and carbs (still waiting for my ordered Blue Print book)

Restarted the journey:

Comment

Originally posted by Lizard View Post
                          I read a article today of Mark about testosterone and Vit D. I think that is one of my main issues at this stage(underactive thyroid), my testoterone hormone count is 0.5 and should be 3.2 for a women at 32 and I don't take any Vit D supplements & zinc (muscle loss and lack of energy/cravings). Will go to the stores tomorrow to get some Vit D and stopped the pill for the testosterone issue.
                          Yeah, magnesium supplementation and more D than most people get are both good. You should in fact try to get more of all the fat-soluble vitamins than people on a modern nutrient-denuded diet do. Importantly, this means more A as well as D. Too much of either one when there's too little of the other seems not to be a good thing; plus it seems the two work together synergistically. Getting A up probably means a few ounces of liver once or twice a week -- a particularly prized cut of the animal among hunter-gatherers. Often some was eaten raw as the portion belonging to the hunter who made the kill -- you may recall Costner doing that in Dances with Wolves.

The Daily Lipid: New Evidence of Synergy Between Vitamins A and D: Protection Against Autoimmune Diseases

Also I feel like I crave and eat a lot of much protein & see some jounals with 90g protein, 70 carbs and 110 fat. Don't really know how to accomplish that. Or is that the way to lose weight, more fat than protein and carbs (still waiting for my ordered Blue Print book)
                          In the meantime, you might like to read the online "101". It's here:

Primal Blueprint 101 | Mark's Daily Apple

It'll tell you there the rough figure for the grams of protein you need to eat daily. For most people this is 0.7 to 0.8 grams per pound of lean body mass. Note: this is protein, the actual component, not meat; and this is lean body mass not total body mass. For someone of 130 lbs lean body mass the calculation would be:

130 x 0.7 = 90g

To be honest, it gets a bit complicated, and somewhere between 6 oz. and 12 oz. of actual meat or fish, depending on your size (except for huge people or athletes in hard training) is going to be OK.

For the rest you must take in fat and carbohydrate. Again it's possible to calculate it, aiming at percentages of total calories consumed. One might eat somewhere between, say, 40% and 65% of calories as fat. The rest, then, is carbohydrate. Someone might eating primal style, say, 60% fat, 20% protein, 20% carbs.

But, again, it gets a bit complicated. You can go "by ear". If you just stick (mostly) to non-starchy vegetables and -- unless you have very fatty meat -- have about one 15 ml tablespoon of healthy fat -- e.g., butter, olive oil, or coconut oil -- with every meal, either cooking with it, drizzling it over a salad, melting it on cooked veg or just eating it off the spoon, you'd be in that range.
                          Last edited by Lewis; 04-02-2012, 12:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

beef here!

Comment

Thanks so much for the info about the protein & Vit A & D, Lewis Especially 'Note: this is protein, the actual component, not meat; and this is lean body mass not total body mass.' My protein intake daily falls within that bracket shhhh, what a relief.

The only protein I have to much off is fish, I can just eat and eat....might have to try to only eat fish 3 times a week or so and stick to eggs and chicken the rest of the time. I don't eat liver at all.

I'm going to the pharmacy a bit later to get my Vit D & A, I'm already using magnesium in the evenings (help with a goodnight sleep aswell). Thanks for the article 'Protection Against Autoimmune Diseases', very interesting.

Can't wait to try a bit of a new approach with my meals today.

Restarted the journey:

Comment

Working...
                              X