Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Does a Primal "High Carb" Day Look Like?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Does a Primal "High Carb" Day Look Like?

I'm curious to find out what a "high carb" day would look like. I'm trying to slowly reintroduce carbs into my diet after being VLC for a while, but I don't want to enter into a "high carb" zone either - I simply want to enjoy both fats and carbs while still losing weight. Can anyone shed some light on this?
    An avocado a day keeps the doctor away!

What is your height, weight and activity level? Those are all relevant factors to consider in determining optimal macro levels.

Comment

I cycle. A few low or zero carb days, then a few days with a few sweet potatoes for dinner along with the meat. Always moderate fat, though. I have experienced no weight gain doing this. But I'm at maintenance now. For losing, I was only doing one or two carby days during the week, and higher fat to a degree.
      Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

5'8, 150-55 , moderate - high activity (training for half marathon, bike 30 mins back and forth to work 3 times a week, walk approximately 2-3 hours a week). But I have recently gained at least 5 lbs (afraid to look to the scale) in fat over the past month due to restricting and binging then on carbs. Looking to up the carbs without undermining any weightloss efforts I try to make.

Comment

Originally posted by VTmeetsMontréal View Post
          5'8, 150-55 , moderate - high activity (training for half marathon, bike 30 mins back and forth to work 3 times a week, walk approximately 2-3 hours a week). But I have recently gained at least 5 lbs (afraid to look to the scale) in fat over the past month due to restricting and binging then on carbs. Looking to up the carbs without undermining any weightloss efforts I try to make.
          Based on your height, and weight - alone - that's not too bad of a size to weight ratio. I would definitely think about adding white rice, sweet potatoes, and regular potatoes..
          If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

I'm curious to find out what a "high carb" day would look like. I'm trying to slowly reintroduce carbs into my diet after being VLC for a while, but I don't want to enter into a "high carb" zone either - I simply want to enjoy both fats and carbs while still losing weight. Can anyone shed some light on this?
            Completely depends on who you ask/what the situation is. For me, a high carb day would likely include white potatoes, white rice, maybe even some sugar(gasp!), as long as my fructose stayed under 50g.

I do typically backload my carbs, a carby breakfast doesn't do much for me. Maybe:

IF or eggs for breakfast.

Multiple plates of AYCE sushi, so a couple pounds(?) of white rice.

Meat, veg, and mashed potatoes for dinner, and maybe some Hagen-Daas for dessert.

So maybe 600g+ of carbs?

Bear in mind that would all be after lifting late in morning, and that I'm young-ish, male, and I guess "an athlete". I also can't be bothered to do high-carb/low fat refeeds, I just eat fat with my carbs. If I was doing HC/LF, my carbs would of course be higher. While weight-loss isn't a primary goal, I am slowly leaning out the last bit.
            Lifting Journal

Comment

just shoot for 20% of your calories from carbs, mostly glucose. say a 3/4 - 1lb of sweet potatoes in a day.

Comment

Depends on what your local weather is...
                “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
                  just shoot for 20% of your calories from carbs, mostly glucose. say a 3/4 - 1lb of sweet potatoes in a day.
                  Thanks for the posts everyone!

Jakey, I read on another post that your brain uses 600 g of glucose a day? Therefore carbs comprised mostly of glucose are okay in larger quantities? Does this mean that fructose carbs aren't as good (fruits and such) for weightloss?

Comment

Thanks for the posts everyone!

Jakey, I read on another post that your brain uses 600 g of glucose a day? Therefore carbs comprised mostly of glucose are okay in larger quantities? Does this mean that fructose carbs aren't as good (fruits and such) for weightloss?
                    hi, that would be 600 calories of glucose, which is about 125 grams. fructose is really only good for one thing, metabolically speaking, and that's refilling liver glycogen. which is to say, it won't fuel anything. every single cell in your body can use glucose though, which is pretty cool.

also, to be clear, i guess i was describing my own diet, not a high carb diet. i shoot for 100grams of carbs a day, which is about 400 calories. so my liver makes a little extra glucose from amino acids for my brain, and probably some ketones while i sleep. i still derive most of my calories from fat, but i'm not in VLC land.

Comment

Looking at the Primal Blueprint, weight loss section between 80-120 gs, and maintenance between 100-150.

I usually am between 80-120. I'm in maintenance, but i don't eat a lot of calories overall, and I find that 45f/35p/20c works well for me with 1600 cals per day. So, it's usually closer to 80.

Comment

I do 80-100 carbs and eat about 1400-1500 a day. My carbs are generally a few servings of fruit, sweet potatoes etc.

You can get a Livestrong account and track what you eat =- it lists fats/carbs/proteins/calories- very easy to use and probably if you tracked for a week or two, you'd catch on to the food combos that get you where you want to be.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                        Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

If you're looking for a menu? A high-carb day for me might look like:

Breakfast:
                          3-6 eggs fried in butter
                          1-2 sweet potatoes, baked in the microwave, also with butter or coconut oil

Lunch:
                          Salad with beef, coconut oil for dressing
                          Maybe some rice or another sweet potato
                          Orange, banana, or other fruit

WORKOUT: Sprints or resistance training

Dinner:
                          AYCE sushi, so about 1000-1500 calories of various seafood with lots of white rice
                          Sometimes a bowl of Greek yogurt and frozen blueberries (sometimes I have this for breakfast instead)

Obviously lots of variations but that's what it might look like for me.
                          Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Today is a carby day for me.

750g sweet potato
                            1 lb. strawberries
                            4 eggs
                            1 red pepper
                            1.5 lbs. turkey tenderloin
                            1 can of sardines

~2100 cals, 226g protein, 195g carbs, 50g fat....according to cronometer.

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
                              hi, that would be 600 calories of glucose, which is about 125 grams. fructose is really only good for one thing, metabolically speaking, and that's refilling liver glycogen. which is to say, it won't fuel anything. every single cell in your body can use glucose though, which is pretty cool.

also, to be clear, i guess i was describing my own diet, not a high carb diet. i shoot for 100grams of carbs a day, which is about 400 calories. so my liver makes a little extra glucose from amino acids for my brain, and probably some ketones while i sleep. i still derive most of my calories from fat, but i'm not in VLC land.
                              While I respect your view (and anyone's view for that matter), I eat about 700 grams of carbs from fruits and vegetables a day and they are my primary fuel for my very active body and mind. If the carbs from fruit aren't fueling anything, how am I getting around?

Comment

Working...
                              X