Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATTN: coffee enthusiasts/afficionados/snobs.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATTN: coffee enthusiasts/afficionados/snobs.

So, I just went a little over month without coffee. I decided that the only coffee I'll be drinking from now on is what I make myself. That being said, I'd like to learn a bit more about making GOOD coffee!

There's a local place here that I just bought some whole bean coffee from -- they source their coffee from a single organic co-op in Guatemala that's shade grown at altitudes of 3,500 to 5,000 feet. I've read a bit of Dave Asprey's writings about mycotoxins in food, and I think this is the closest to mold-free I can get around here. So, I have some questions:

-Aside from a coffee grinder, are there any other good ways to grind coffee? I used a blender today, but I have a feeling that's not too optimal.

-What's the best way to store roasted coffee?

-What are some good resources for coffee info, science, etc.?

-What's the best coffee:water ratio? I used two tablespoons of coffee per 6 ounces of water today, but I'm sure there might be something better.

Discuss anything else coffee-related you'd like to.

One easy answer: the best water to coffee ratio is whatever makes the appropriate strength coffee for what you like.
    carl's cave

Comment

I still don't know, after slowly becoming a coffee snob over time. I know a co-worker of mine had suggested 1TBsp/every cup of coffee.. I pretty much stuck with that formula, even though my dad said that was too strong.

I liked talking to this one guy about coffee making, because he was one of the baristas there, before the shop eventually closed down . He mentioned getting a Bird (Berg?) grinder. He also mentioned; and I did purchase, a clever brew (a more thorough brewing method), but it does require precision, in that you weigh your ingredients. I've been slacking on my use of the clever brew, because I'm too lazy to get a food scale, but this may change. There are videos on youtube about using the clever brew.

When it comes to coffee storage, my sister (she being a former barista at Border's) advised me to stick it in the freezer. I've read otherwise, elsewhere. So, I'm agnostic about it, at this point.
      If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

I've used my magic bullet to grind beans. A lot less expensive than shelling out for a burr grinder.

I wouldn't store in the freezer. It affects the oils in the beans. Just a cool, dark place (e.g. a cupboard) is fine.

Comment

I like my over the cup cheapo cone to brew. No giant equipment (I have it all--espresso maker, coffee maker, french presses plus others) and it makes by far the best cup. Get a cone (Melita makes a plastic one for 3 bucks, or ceramic for sale at Starbucks, $12 or so) uses a number 2 filter, and put in two scoops of ground coffee, not too fine. Then pour the water over it, stir a bit, then watch your perfect cup drip out. We discovered this on vacation when we were dying to use some beans we bought. We ended up adopting it for our at home method.
          Started Whole30 December 31, 2011
          Integrated Leptin Reset/Jack Kruse plan Jan 13, 2012
          Starting Weight: 174.8
          CW:160.0 lbs

Comment

I would like to find a good burr grinder for making french press coffee. Does anyone have one of those hand crank grinders? I'm looking at getting one of those. Sorry, I have no knowledge to add, just using this thread as a convenient place to post my own question, heh.

Comment

Originally posted by lssanjose View Post
              He mentioned getting a Bird (Berg?) grinder.
              Burr grinder. It is the type of grinder. I do not own one, but I understand they are optimal for precise grinding and grinding coffee to a very fine size as for Turkish coffee.

The kind I have could not grind it fine enough for Turkish.

He also mentioned; and I did purchase, a clever brew (a more thorough brewing method), but it does require precision, in that you weigh your ingredients.
              Have you tried the french press? In my opinion it gives the best flavor. It doesn't filter out the natural oils in the bean. I only use a French Press for my coffee.

When it comes to coffee storage, my sister (she being a former barista at Border's) advised me to stick it in the freezer. I've read otherwise, elsewhere. So, I'm agnostic about it, at this point.
              I used to freeze my beans (advised other too), but noticed after a while they didn't taste the same. The reason is the frigid temperatures breaks down the oils and changes the taste of the beans. After doing some research, the optimal is "A cool dry place!" Whole beans will stay fresher longer than ground.

I grind my beans as I need them. Otherwise they are stored in air tight containers in the pantry. The taste is consistent over time. I generally purchase about a 3 months supply at a time. Mind you, I buy Eight O Clock brand coffee from the grocery store. So I catch the BOGO sales and stock up until their next sale.

Comment

I have a good burr grinder, but think it is discontinued (kitchen aid) But what I have found is that buying coffee at Peets (used to) that when they grind it in their uber expensive burr grinder that somehow it always tasted better...I think theirs cost the price of a small car. Oh well. Have never used the hand grinder types.

Comment

There is some info floating around here somewhere that unfiltered (french press) coffee has a component that raises LDL...not sure where that came from...

Comment

Originally posted by carlh View Post
                    One easy answer: the best water to coffee ratio is whatever makes the appropriate strength coffee for what you like.
                    I guess I'll have to do some experimenting then! I like my coffee STRONG. I'll try using a little next water next time, haha.

Originally posted by autopilot View Post
                    I've used my magic bullet to grind beans. A lot less expensive than shelling out for a burr grinder.

I wouldn't store in the freezer. It affects the oils in the beans. Just a cool, dark place (e.g. a cupboard) is fine.
                    How finely does the magic bullet grind coffee? My blender created some very finely-ground bits and some pretty large chunks. I've read that this leads to the larger bits being "under-extracted." I've also read that blade-grinding coffee negatively impacts the taste. I did notice that this coffee tasted slightly different than it does in-shop, but that could be due to how I brewed it.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidR View Post
                      Burr grinder. It is the type of grinder. I do not own one, but I understand they are optimal for precise grinding and grinding coffee to a very fine size as for Turkish coffee.

The kind I have could not grind it fine enough for Turkish.

Have you tried the french press? In my opinion it gives the best flavor. It doesn't filter out the natural oils in the bean. I only use a French Press for my coffee.

I used to freeze my beans (advised other too), but noticed after a while they didn't taste the same. The reason is the frigid temperatures breaks down the oils and changes the taste of the beans. After doing some research, the optimal is "A cool dry place!" Whole beans will stay fresher longer than ground.

I grind my beans as I need them. Otherwise they are stored in air tight containers in the pantry. The taste is consistent over time. I generally purchase about a 3 months supply at a time. Mind you, I buy Eight O Clock brand coffee from the grocery store. So I catch the BOGO sales and stock up until their next sale.
                      Thanks for this, David. I appreciate the clarity.
                      If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

+1 carlh.... the coffe you like IS the best coffee. That being said keep the coffee beans or grounds away from the freezer as autopilot says. Best to grind just prior to brewing. Difference in grinders can cause small differences in taste...not sure i ever new the difference. The key for me has always been the roast! I loath starbucks..they burn..roast their beans to long ..IMHO.
                        I usually stick with espresso but then that is my favorite style. I also love Soorj, Armenian style, fine ground..almost a powder cooked in a special small pot..can't recall the Armenian name right now. But the grounds are boiled in water...(tsp per cup) and sugar is added... or as I was trained by my Armenian friend chocolate syrup...It is a little bit bigger than espresso size and can be gritty to finish but a nice cup of coffee.
                        In the end it is try and try again... you will find that some of the best coffee ever is at a diner along some old road in the middle of the night when you are bone dead tired and need to push those last 6 hours home.

Good luck!
                        Living the dream, inside a myth

Comment

Coffee secret: place a very small square of dark chocolate at the bottom of your mug and stir to dissolve the chocolate. OR if you grind your own coffee beans, grind a few raw cacao beans up with the coffee. It will intensity the flavor and add so much volume. Amazing!

I will only drink coffee that passes through a cat's rectum.
                          Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

I bought a burr grinder from Costco~ PITA to clean, gave it to Goodwill and went back to my $20 Hamilton Beach from Target! One thing to remember~ a 'cup' is 5oz. the average coffee mug is 10oz. So, 2T grounds for a mug of coffee would be a starting point, then adjust to your preference. Also, I second that one cup Melitta drip into the cup one, but DH likes the 4 cup Mr.Coffee auto drip. Nothing fancy ~

Comment

Originally posted by Littlesigh View Post
                              I also love Soorj, Armenian style, fine ground..almost a powder cooked in a special small pot..can't recall the Armenian name right now. But the grounds are boiled in water...(tsp per cup) and sugar is added...
                              Good luck!
                              Sounds the same as how Turkish coffee is prepared.

Comment

Working...
                              X