Clueless relatives

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clueless relatives

So we are at my wife's cousin's house listening to them tell of a visit to Sri Lanka. The subject drifted to the food, which apparently consists of lots of heavily spiced rice and beans. The one who had visited the country commented that much of the population suffered from more or less constant diarrhea. The first person to comment said, "what a healthy diet"!! After being told what the result of said diet is...

Truly I despair.

traditional diet of rice and beans, with spices vs. standard american diet? clear winner. obesity levels in sri lanka? not high. is much of the country actually suffering from constant diarrhea? i have no idea, but i doubt it.

animal protein is often the first thing to go from poorer people's diets. to be honest, this doesn't sound so terrible. not optimal, but hardly anything to ridicule!

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
      traditional diet of rice and beans, with spices vs. standard american diet? clear winner. obesity levels in sri lanka? not high. is much of the country actually suffering from constant diarrhea? i have no idea, but i doubt it.

animal protein is often the first thing to go from poorer people's diets. to be honest, this doesn't sound so terrible. not optimal, but hardly anything to ridicule!
      I would have to agree.

It is interesting that many of the poorer cultures (assuming they aren't starving, which is another thing altogether) are often healthier and happier than those that have abundance of wealth and food. Simplicity can be a beautiful thing IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Egerland View Post
        So we are at my wife's cousin's house listening to them tell of a visit to Sri Lanka. The subject drifted to the food, which apparently consists of lots of heavily spiced rice and beans. The one who had visited the country commented that much of the population suffered from more or less constant diarrhea. The first person to comment said, "what a healthy diet"!! After being told what the result of said diet is...

Truly I despair.
        To me... that sounds like a sarcastic comment.

Comment

There's no indication that the food is causing the diarrhea, either.

Comment

Poor sanitary conditions would be the most likely cause. It's a huge leap to think that the issue is widespread or related to the actual food and not the conditions the people are living in or how sanitary the water or food is.
            Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
            CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

Does it really need to be pointed out that people in poor countries tend to be malnourished due to not having enough to eat ( the expression "hand to mouth" was created precisely to underscore this point )? When you couple malnourishment with malabsorption ( diarrhea ) obesity would be the last thing I would expect to find. Not finding obesity and then using its absence as a justification and / or validation for the local prevalent diet seems misguided.

-PK
              My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Comment

diet of rice and beans can be very healthy, if obviously consumed in moderation with good meat and veg.

rice and beans was not the reason most of us got fat/sick and flocked to paleo to get healthy

some people think of paleo/primal as voodoo magic or a miracle, but I hate to break it to them, there are plenty of other diets out there that contradict paleo that worked for many people and resulted in significant weight loss and good health, because most of the diets out there have one thing in common, they cut out processed junk food and get people eating whole foods. rice and beans is not the worst thing you can be eating by far
                Last edited by lardomuncher; 03-29-2012, 08:24 AM.

Comment

I don't miss beans...maybe lentil soup, but that'd be it
                  If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

Are you sure it's the Sri Lankans who had the constant diarrhea and not your relatives or the people they were traveling with?
                    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Generally speaking, you get diarrhea from eating pathogens, usually from your own or other people's poop usually transmitted via unwashed hands. However, the consistency of one's stool is distinct from having an active case of diarrhea. When applying Paleo/Primal to the third world it's really important to lower your standards and take more of a realistic WAP approach (The Weston A. Price Foundation - Weston A Price Foundation). Apart from modern wheat, it is possible to survive, reproduce, and be relatively healthy by eating grains and legumes, if there is nothing better available or affordable. Human beings have a wide range of nutrition and conditions on which they can survive. As much as I hate corn-syrup, corn products, and the USDA's guidelines and policies, the US population is probably much healthier (in their younger years at least) than many third world countries because of how INCREDIBLY CHEAP beef and dairy are due to subsidization of corn. That being said, deceiving the public about the long-term health effects of grains is nothing short of criminal, but I do admit to having some cognitive dissonance about how the majority of the US population accesses animal products. Any thoughts?

Comment

Most people don't understand food lectins and are programmed to sympathize with the Eastern people.

Comment

Working...
                        X