No announcement yet.

what's your opinion on cottage cheese?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's your opinion on cottage cheese?

Years ago, I liked cottage cheese. 2% to be exact. The texture is funky, yes. I used to make pancakes out of cottage cheese, an egg and a banana, and they were AWESOME!

I distinctly remember my naturopathic doc at the time saying that cottage cheese was pretty UN-processed as far as dairy goes.

What say you, MDA-ers?
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

It's my favourite breakfast. Full fat Marks & Spencers cottage cheese with raspberries & some pouring cream. Yum - even if everyone I know thinks it is mad :-)

Comment

I love it but it's dairy so I don't use it.

Comment

I like cottage cheese~ don't seem to have any issues with it~ I especially like it mixed with diced onion and cucumber

Comment

I enjoy it infrequently. The whey has properties that don't agree with me, and I dislike the dry curds. So I have the creamed (with whey) cottage cheese once every few months. Always organic, and in the summer the cows see quite a bit of pasture grass.
          5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

Comment

Originally posted by patski View Post
            Years ago, I liked cottage cheese. 2% to be exact. The texture is funky, yes. I used to make pancakes out of cottage cheese, an egg and a banana, and they were AWESOME!

I distinctly remember my naturopathic doc at the time saying that cottage cheese was pretty UN-processed as far as dairy goes.

What say you, MDA-ers?
            Well, it's fairly low-fat, which is NOT, of course, a good thing. I like to go for full-fat dairy produce in order to get the fat-soluble vitamins -- plus it usually tastes better.

Dunno what the person meant by "unprocessed". Most of it would be made in something pretty much like a factory -- certainly not a "cottage" (I think people in cottages would probably have called a new un-matured cheese green cheese) -- and I expect most of the milk used is pasteurized, and possibly homogenized. Unless you buy from a small producer it's going to be from cows that have been reared fairly intensively -- although that depends somewhat on where one lives -- and may not have eaten much grass.

So I don't see it as top-notch nutrition. But if you like it, why not use it? It's not like it's soya chunks or rapeseed oil or something else utterly industrialized and noxious.

Be interesting to make it at home.

Comment

My understanding is that 2% merely refers to the liquid part of creamed cottage cheese. The curds themselves are all the same. So they're not necessarily lower fat...
              5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

Comment

i have no existential, is it primal questions, cause... i can't stand the stuff!!! least favorite dairy product in the entire world!!!

Comment

Love the stuff, especially with sliced peaches. I get the 4% when I can find it. I go through phases.

Comment

This would be fasted than making eggs in the morning...hmm
                    "Carbs are the victim, not the crime" - ChocoTaco

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                      Well, it's fairly low-fat, which is NOT, of course, a good thing.
                      Sure it is. There is nothing wrong with something that's low fat. Especially in the case of cottage cheese - which is almost always made with CAFO milk - I'll always go with lower fat varieties, particularly 1%/

Cottage cheese has its pros and cons.

Pros: It's very filling, is loaded with good quality animal protein and is a low-calorie, high protein food.

Cons: The proteins are very inflammatory, it's almost always made with CAFO milk and is usually accompanied with nasty emulsifiers and thickeners.

Solution: My go-to is 1% Friendship Small Curd Cottage Cheese with no added salt. Friendship brand is the ONLY brand of cottage cheese I've ever seen that is JUST MILK in the ingredients list (EXCEPT NON-FAT - their 1%, 2% and 4% is clean). No added ingredients or thickeners of any kind. Since it's CAFO milk, I go with the low-fat variety. Because it's low-fat and the proteins are inflammatory, it's not a good thing to eat regularly. However, those things make it FANTASTIC for eating post-workout. The inflammatory dairy proteins are the best proteins available for muscle growth - better than meat - and post-workout is one of the times where you actually want inflammation since that is how muscles grow and heal. Since fat is counterproductive to muscle growth, the very low-fat cottage cheese shines. An awesome post-workout meal: super lean eye round ground up into burgers, baked sweet potato fries and a big bowl of pumpkin puree with cottage cheese and cinnamon for dessert. Clutch.
                      Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

I could never stand the stuff as a kid. But two cups of it mixed with 1/4c of unsweetened apple sauce and a bunch of cinnamon makes a nice snack on lifting days.

I target 3-4000 calories on those days, and workout fasted in the morning, first meal of the day is typically lunch. Do you have any idea how hard it is to eat 4000 calories of primal foods in two meals?!

Comment

I'll stick to eggs in the morning, then.
                          "Carbs are the victim, not the crime" - ChocoTaco

Comment

I prefer home-made quark (from kefir) to cottage cheese, because it has more flavor & no artificial stuff is added to it.
                            My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                            When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I'm still confused-- I read that dairy is not Primal but see folks saying how they eat cheese, butter, cream, and now cottage cheese. What am I missing? Is it Primal or not? I've cut out dairy but if it's "allowed" then I want it back in! Same question for rice which people keep suggesting to eat sometimes...

Argh, the more read and research, the more confused I get.

Comment

Working...
                              X