Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulletproof chocolate coffee?

Hi Everyone,

So I was just looking at a package of unsweetened bakers chocolate, and realized it pretty much has the exact same nutrition contents as butter. Butter has 1 gram more fat per serving and 0 carbs, while the baker's chocolate has 4 g carbs and 2 grams fiber.

Would it be safe to put a hunk of baker's chocolate in my coffee in the morning instead of butter? I love the idea of the bulletproof coffee, but I can't choke it down! I find it awful!

What do you think?

Baker's Unsweetened Chocolate, 8-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 4): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

here's the product for reference.
    An avocado a day keeps the doctor away!

I would suggest that since dark chocolate (75%+) is fine in moderation, that there should be no problem with making coffee with some chocolate in it.

I don't know what the exact %cocoa is in the Baker's though.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Comment

The only ingredient is chocolate - so I'm assuming it's around 99% or more. This is why I wonder if it could potentially replace the butter and have the same health benefits?
      An avocado a day keeps the doctor away!

Comment

It will be delicious. I have put melted unsweetened baking chocolate in it and it really adds a lot. The chocolate helps keep the butter emulsified and adds a chocolaty depth without sweetness. The only trouble is that it tends to stick to the cup rather than get completely mixed in.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

If you got Raw Cocoa Powder (not the stuff you get from the grocery store) that might work even better as it wouldent stick to the cup & the quality is better.
          I get mine of a seller on Ebay(UK) but probably be able to find at some heath food stores or online easy enough
          Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I think you should add both chocolate and butter, would be tremendous!
            Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Comment

Originally posted by DinoHunter View Post
              If you got Raw Cocoa Powder (not the stuff you get from the grocery store) that might work even better as it wouldent stick to the cup & the quality is better.
              I get mine of a seller on Ebay(UK) but probably be able to find at some heath food stores or online easy enough
              I add about a T to my coffee- I love the flavor. And I do find that it gives me a longer lasting boost.

Comment

I was thinking of doing a smoothie in the mornings with chocolate protein powder and some ice.
                After some replies on another thread, I decided to just add the protein powder to the hot coffee. Blended it up with the butter and coconut oil....came out great.

Used the following protein powder:

Primal (2013)
                Locavore (locally grown foods when possible)
                Training consists of Muay Thai, BJJ, weight training, and mountain biking

Would like to be in good shape by my 36th Birthday (07-07-2013)

Comment

Good for you raptoyell. I was going to suggest you make it, only without ice.

The jury is still out on whether the "insulin spike" from whey powder is good, bad, or neutral.
                  5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Comment

Sounds good. I can't imagine what could be wrong with BC.

Comment

Experimentation is the answer to all our questions. Do it.
                      www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Comment

Yep! I use Dagoba 100% baking or Scharfen Berger 99% baking...I still use butter and/or coconut oil. It's amazing. I also add cayenne pepper if I'm feeling frisky.

Comment

Originally posted by MollyGolightly View Post
                          Yep! I use Dagoba 100% baking or Scharfen Berger 99% baking...I still use butter and/or coconut oil. It's amazing. I also add cayenne pepper if I'm feeling frisky.
                          oh snap! I'm definitely adding some cayenne extract to my drink tomorrow.
                          Thanks for sharing that.
                          Primal (2013)
                          Locavore (locally grown foods when possible)
                          Training consists of Muay Thai, BJJ, weight training, and mountain biking

Would like to be in good shape by my 36th Birthday (07-07-2013)

Comment

I make Bulletproof(TM) mocha every morning. I'm not a fan of coffee, but I love chocolate! I developed a new way to make chocolate bars using Upgraded chocolate powder and cocoa butter. A lot of people make chocolate as a hobby, but it takes a lot of time, requires expensive equipment, and you have to use sugar. My recipe uses a shortcut to crystallize the chocolate without conching and you can choose your sweetener. It is here: CARB WARS BLOG: BULLETPROOF® CHOCOLATE BARS

Comment

Dave Asprey had something on his site about adding high quality unsweetened cocoa powder in addition to the butter. I would try this before eliminating the butter entirely. I haven't tried it because I like it the normal way, but it sounds good.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Working...
                              X