Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waking up at 3am consistently :(

Hey guys,

Anyone know why after switching to primal I wake up at 3am as if an alarm clock inside my head went off. I heard a few things here and there that lack of carbs releases something in the body causing poor sleep, but not sure as to how accurate it is. On top of that I am in the 80-100g carb range per day, so that can't really be it, can it?

The two times I have had a sweet potato for dinner I did notice that I slept better, anecdotal evidence?

I lift heavy about 3x a week, FWIW.

Any insight would be appreciated!

what time do you go to bed? maybe your body is done sleeping at 3am. i only sleep about 4-6 hours per night, depending on the night and what time i go to bed. eating paleo for the past several years has only made that worse (better?). if i go to sleep any time before 11pm, i'm up at 3, ready to face the day. there are nights where i accidentally fall asleep around 9pm, and i'm screwed. up at 1am, ready to start my day

Comment

Our Chiropractor/nutritionist advised us that this type of thing is related to blood sugar.. she recommended have a small serving of protein (quality) before bed and see how it went.. made a huge difference for my husband.. best of luck!!!
      Female 5'5", Feb. 29, 2012 SW 208, GW 160
      My journal...
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post734883

Comment

Do you stay wide awake or go back to sleep within a half hour. I almost always wake up sometime around 2 or 3 am and then go back to sleep until my alarm goes off at 4:15. Here an article written by Mark on sleep.

What is Biphasic Sleep? | Mark's Daily Apple

Comment

I go to bed about 11-12. I am awake and I can't fall asleep until 6! Then at 6 I fall asleep until 8:30 or so.

It is kind of annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by lamoka View Post
            Our Chiropractor/nutritionist advised us that this type of thing is related to blood sugar.. she recommended have a small serving of protein (quality) before bed and see how it went.. made a huge difference for my husband.. best of luck!!!
            I try not to eat 3-4 hours before bed. How close to bed is your husband eating the protein?

Comment

Eating dinner right before going to bed (~ 8 pm) stabilized my sleep pattern. If I eat a light dinner and way before bedtime, I wake up about 1-2 am, voraciously hungry and can't fall asleep for an hour or two. If I fast in the am and eat a large dinner before going to bed (at least 60% of daily calories) I still wake up about 2 am, but go to sleep almost immediately until I am ready to be up at about 3:45-4 am.
              My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
              When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Eat more carbs (starchy tubers, sweet potatoes or maybe some fruit) closer to bed time...Don't eat vitamin D later than 2 pm (if you supplement with that).
                Take a walk on the wild side.

Comment

Leida, how much time between dinner and bed?

Comment

30 min to an hour, whatever it takes to get to bed after supper, chat with my daughter & read a little.
                    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I wake up once or twice every night. I blame it on my three year old who wakes up and comes into our bedroom and needs to be put back to sleep. Every. Fucking. Night.

Comment

I have almost the exact same issue - right down to times and all.

I now keep ear plugs and an eye mask within reach - both of which seem to allow me to sleep a little more soundly. I'm also eating later in the evening, which like others said, seems to help! Otherwise, I'm up at like 3 or 4:00am and have a hell of a time falling back asleep until about 6:00. It's really not ideal for us desk jockies doing the 9-5 plus commute.

Comment

Exactly! I have to be up and out of the house at 9 and it is a pain in the arse. Essentially between 3 and 6 I am tossing and turning like an idiot. So in total I get about 5 hours of sleep. That sucks.

I was always under the impression that eating before bed is bad...arg.

Comment

Originally posted by rkd80 View Post
                            Exactly! I have to be up and out of the house at 9 and it is a pain in the arse. Essentially between 3 and 6 I am tossing and turning like an idiot. So in total I get about 5 hours of sleep. That sucks.

I was always under the impression that eating before bed is bad...arg.
                            Shedding the conventional wisdom crap is all part of the process and from what I can tell, this isn't any different...

but maybe someone who knows a little better can chime in on the later in the night eating thing? I'm curious, too.

Comment

Originally posted by rkd80 View Post
                              I try not to eat 3-4 hours before bed. How close to bed is your husband eating the protein?
                              Not calling for a huge meal, but some yogurt or cottage cheese.. I find a few bites of really hardy chili works for me.. that was before primal.. since primal I really don't have that issue.. but he did.. let us know!
                              Female 5'5", Feb. 29, 2012 SW 208, GW 160
                              My journal...
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post734883

Comment

Working...
                              X