Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typical Primal/Paleo Meals

Hey Y'all,

I have been eating gluten-free for years and have been eating low-dairy/low-sugar for a few months, but I am ready to take the plunge into full primal/paleo (I haven't decided if I'm keeping the "grey-area" foods yet)! Hooray!

Anyways, I need help with building a daily menu. I searched through the message boards a bit to find a similar thread, but did not succeed. The internet provided some menus, but I want more!

Please share a typical primal/paleo menu/your go-to meals. If there's another thread that you've seen, redirect me please!

Thanks!
    Began Primal 3/26/12

Height: 5'1'', HW: 215, LW: 98, SW: 137, GW: 110

CW: 128

Follow me! http://humblehappyhealthy.wordpress.com/

Hmm... tough one. Ummm, NOT!
    Let's see, Meat and veg.... occasional tubers too, but I'm not active enough to need a lot of tubers.
    Salads some days and cooked veg others. Lots of veg variety!
    Eggs of course, for breakfast or lunch.
    Organ meets (heart or liver) a couple of times a week... usually at breakfast or lunch with some eggs.
    But foods aren't nearly as meal segregated at they used to be.

Some dairy, like 10% fat greek Yogurt and whole raw milk.
    Some fruit.

I eat what I feel like eating when I feel like eating it.
    That generally means NO breakfast... and lunch anywhere from 11am-2pm.
    Dinner at around 6.... 7 in the summer when it's hot and the sun sets late.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by adr617 View Post

Please share a typical primal/paleo menu/your go-to meals. If there's another thread that you've seen, redirect me please!

Thanks!
      For me breakfast will often be 1/2 a grapefruit (or a small bowl of berries, or some other piece of fruit), and a couple of eggs. Usually I'll have bacon or sausage as well, and sometimes steamed vegetables -- asparagus or something like that. Occasionally, I'll have cold smoked fish or I'll fry some lamb's liver or kidneys to go with the bacon. I generally try to have a tablespoon of butter with the meal to keep the fat content up -- maybe scramble the eggs with that, or just eat it off the spoon, or -- now and then -- spread it on a couple of gluten-free oatcakes.

Lunch is usually a large salad dressed with a tablespoon of olive oil and some cider vinegar or lemon juice, eaten with 2 to 4 ounces cold meat or fish and a couple of ounces of good quality unpasteurized cheese. I might have some fruit as well. Easy -- same most days.

Dinner will be a largish piece of meat or fish with steamed vegetables. I'll make sure I have, again, around one 15ml tablespoon of good fat, either cooking with it, melting it over the vegetables, or eating it off the spoon. Maybe, since I had butter for breakfast and olive oil for lunch, I'll use coconut oil for a change. Or I might have a made dish -- say chilli con carne -- and perhaps an avocado to accompany that. I might eat a bowl of natural yoghurt, perhaps goats' or sheeps', as my pudding.

I don't really snack. I often have some dark chocolate and what would be around an ounce or so of nuts, but it will usually be with a meal -- maybe stirred in the yoghurt. I have a coffee with double (heavy) cream in the morning and occasionally a drink -- perhaps wine or a glass of cider or the infamous Paleo Norcal margarita. I take the naturally fermented cod liver oil in the morning, and I take Naturalcalm magnesium supplement in the evening.

This sort of regimen (awful word) worked out as -- last time I checked -- around 2500 kcal's a day in the rough proportions 60% fat, 20% protein, 18% carbs, 3% alcohol (which doesn't add up to 100% LOL). Micronutrients were way up -- about double on most nutrients and far more on some.

Mark gives some sample meals in his book; Robb Wolf gives a full 30-day plan in his.

Another useful resource would be Sally Fallon and Mary Enig's Eat Fat, Lose Fat -- probably pretty cheap 2nd hand. That gives three sets of very detailed meal plans. It's not Paleo as such but it's a similar sort of regimen and you could miss out, or add in, to change the style to a more strictly Paleo one:

Amazon.com: Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats (9780452285668): Mary Enig, Sally Fallon: Books
      Last edited by Lewis; 03-25-2012, 07:29 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I'm sick of eggs so b'fast is usually leftover meat and veg from supper. Or if I have to cook veggies fast I'll do pan fried mushrooms and zucchini or snap peas in a bit of pork fat.

Lunch is a salad - spinach, 1/2 apple, sprinkle of nuts, avocado, whatever other veg is in the fridge and some type of meat.

Supper is meat and 2 or 3 veg.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamame View Post
          I'm sick of eggs so b'fast is usually leftover meat and veg from supper. Or if I have to cook veggies fast I'll do pan fried mushrooms and zucchini or snap peas in a bit of pork fat.

Lunch is a salad - spinach, 1/2 apple, sprinkle of nuts, avocado, whatever other veg is in the fridge and some type of meat.

if you check out balancedbites.com and go to their shirt section, you'll find a fitting phrase: "Dinner, it's what's for breakfast.."
          If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

I like one-pan meals.

Breakfast
            Start some meat cooking in the pan. Liver, ground beef, steak, bacon, what have you. Add any veggies at the same time. When the meat's about half-way done, I crack a few eggs in there. Either leave them whole or scrambled.

Lunch
            Usually I don't eat any lunch but instead I exercise in a class or out in the sun. I make a point to get some sun each day because I work in an office with no windows to the outside. If hungry, I open a can of sardines or salmon in the bathroom so I don't spill fish juice in my office. Eat it with mustard packets.

Dinner
            Cook some kind of meat (usually air or sea creature since my man is CW all the way), steam some veggies, microwave a sweet potato and slather my own plate with butter. Add red wine and super dark chocolate for dessert.

Random indulgences (not every day)
            Berries with cream (sometimes whipped from a can, yeah, I know), fruit salad, a whole young coconut, figs and almonds or dates and walnuts, cheese, nuts, more chocolate than is necessary, beer (fan of microbrews), wine (live in damn good wine country), Indian lentils with rice, going out for sushi and miso soup, sneak a few french fries or bites of ice cream from the boyfriend's plate.

I've lost almost 30lbs eating this way.
            Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
              Hmm... tough one. Ummm, NOT!
              Let's see, Meat and veg.... occasional tubers too, but I'm not active enough to need a lot of tubers.
              Salads some days and cooked veg others. Lots of veg variety!
              Eggs of course, for breakfast or lunch.
              Organ meets (heart or liver) a couple of times a week... usually at breakfast or lunch with some eggs.
              But foods aren't nearly as meal segregated at they used to be.

Some dairy, like 10% fat greek Yogurt and whole raw milk.
              Some fruit.

I eat what I feel like eating when I feel like eating it.
              That generally means NO breakfast... and lunch anywhere from 11am-2pm.
              Dinner at around 6.... 7 in the summer when it's hot and the sun sets late.
              Meat & Veggies. Seems like that's the answer and finding different combinations is the excitement.
              I'm curious how my body is going to change with "breakfast." I have always been a huge breakfast eater, but I see it's pretty common for paleo-people to not eat breakfast.
              Thanks for your reply!
              Began Primal 3/26/12

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                For me breakfast will often be 1/2 a grapefruit (or a small bowl of berries, or some other piece of fruit), and a couple of eggs. Usually I'll have bacon or sausage as well, and sometimes steamed vegetables -- asparagus or something like that...
                Your menu seems to be pretty close to what I think I will fall into. Gotta love dark chocolate, wine, & cider
                Began Primal 3/26/12

Comment

Originally posted by Mamame View Post

Sounds easy & good!
                  Began Primal 3/26/12

Comment

Sbhikes, I read your stats at the bottom of your post. I'm 5'1'' and starting at 136. I am hoping to lose a bit off my tiny frame. I want to try the things that worked for you! It seems like you kept your carb intake pretty low. Was that intentional or just happenstance?

Thanks!
                    Began Primal 3/26/12

Comment

I did not believe I could lose any weight so I did not start for weight loss. I didn't believe I could lose weight because I had hiked 3000 miles by walking the length of the US and before I was done hiking I had started to gain weight. Once back in civilization I gained like crazy, visibly in the mirror every day. It was horrifying.

I tried to keep up exercise by running every day or walking or bike commuting but if I did too much exercise, my voracious hiker hunger would flare up and I couldn't stop eating. I tried to be sedentary and just put up with the weight gain hoping that my hiker hunger would go away eventually after I "healed". When I thought I was ready to try to lose weight, I started exercising and eating "right" but my hiker hunger went insane and I was in tears trying to deal with it. So I came at this through dietdoctor.com and his LCHF Swedish diet. He promised it would calm my hunger. Day one on LCHF my hunger ceased. It was a miracle. I went through all the agony of getting keto adapted and it was like becoming a normal person for the first time in my life.

I started out making sure I went as low carb as possible while still eating vegetables every day. I started out with a lot of yogurt and creme fraiche. Since my partner isn't on this diet, breakfast became my main meal to get grass-fed ruminants in. Once I got over how strange it is to eat meat and veggies for breakfast, I wondered why I had never done it before.

Most people here will not advise you to go low carb. They'll either say it's dangerous and will kill your thyroid or that it's simply not necessary and you might not feel good. I believe from my experience with walking across the country, which I think gave me serious insulin resistance, that it was necessary for me. You may not want to go as low carb as I do (I feel good around 60g or 15% of calories). Basically, I find that Mark's carb curve works exactly as advertised for me.
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                        I did not believe I could lose any weight so I did not start for weight loss. I didn't believe I could lose weight because I had hiked 3000 miles by walking the length of the US and before I was done hiking I had started to gain weight. Once back in civilization I gained like crazy, visibly in the mirror every day. It was horrifying.

I tried to keep up exercise by running every day or walking or bike commuting but if I did too much exercise, my voracious hiker hunger would flare up and I couldn't stop eating. I tried to be sedentary and just put up with the weight gain hoping that my hiker hunger would go away eventually after I "healed". When I thought I was ready to try to lose weight, I started exercising and eating "right" but my hiker hunger went insane and I was in tears trying to deal with it. So I came at this through dietdoctor.com and his LCHF Swedish diet. He promised it would calm my hunger. Day one on LCHF my hunger ceased. It was a miracle. I went through all the agony of getting keto adapted and it was like becoming a normal person for the first time in my life.

I started out making sure I went as low carb as possible while still eating vegetables every day. I started out with a lot of yogurt and creme fraiche. Since my partner isn't on this diet, breakfast became my main meal to get grass-fed ruminants in. Once I got over how strange it is to eat meat and veggies for breakfast, I wondered why I had never done it before.

Most people here will not advise you to go low carb. They'll either say it's dangerous and will kill your thyroid or that it's simply not necessary and you might not feel good. I believe from my experience with walking across the country, which I think gave me serious insulin resistance, that it was necessary for me. You may not want to go as low carb as I do (I feel good around 60g or 15% of calories). Basically, I find that Mark's carb curve works exactly as advertised for me.
                        As it does for me. I'll include starches, but I typically don't go over the carbohydrate curve, overall. I found, I've been toting with danger a little too much; and realize, at times, I need to reign it in a little more carefully than I had in the past. Living off canned food for a few months, while living on campus may have done something; maybe it was the Chinese food I had once a week, in Chinatown. I really don't know what triggered these "sugar in urine" readings. All I know is, I felt this blueprint was a means to get my health (not so much weight) in order, after all my feeble attempts at getting things right, conventionally.
                        If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

The last 3 days I've been living almost exclusively on a stew I made. With kangaroo, chicken, tomatoes, potatoes, kidney, white rice, carrots, onions, celery, broccoli and eggplant.

Comment

I have a similar build, I'm 5'2"... I started eating paleo about 2 years ago when I weighed 142. I lost 22 lbs in 5 months and stayed at that weight which was fine with me. I was eating 80% paelo till January when my husband and I decided to start eating 100% paleo. My husband had lost weight and gained it back, I wanted to support him by eating 100% paleo but I wasn't really looking to loose any weight. I lost 5 lbs in the first month so now I weight 115.

I often end up eating 2 meals a day with a light snack. I try to just eat when I am hungry, if I have late large breakfast; eggs, meat veggies then I usually don't want lunch. My breakfast is often late because I drink home made chai with coconut cream topping that I make, it's pretty satisfying. Sometimes I skip breakfast and have a substantial lunch; salad with meat, avocados and nuts.

I always make a nice dinner for my husband and son. Since I used to be a chef I often do pretty creative stuff, always paleo.
                            I've never counted carbs or calories. I have no idea how much carbs I eat. I may eat sweet potatoes once a week, I rarely eat fruit, if I do it is usually citrus, sometimes I have a little honey or some treat made with almond flour. I have a glass of wine a couple of times a week. I cook with butter, tallow and coconut oil.

The big difference to me is how the shape of my body has changed since I've been eating 100% paleo. Even when I was thin in the past I never had a waist, now for the first time I have one. My overall health has greatly improved since switching to paleo, I really feel 20 years younger.
                            Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

I would strongly advise you to eat pastured, grass fed meats, if possible. Save the bones and make broths. Broths are highly nutritious and are a great base for a lot of different types of meals. For example, you know the lower stalks of asparagus spears that are a little tough? I blend them in with my broths for asparagus soups. Broths are a great way to stretch your food dollars. Right there I made a full meal out of food that most people throw away.

Also, try intermittent fasting. Eat only two big meals a day. Don't snack inbetween. Exercise on an empty stomach.

Comment

Working...
                              X