Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Favourite PROBIOTIC?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Your Favourite PROBIOTIC?

    Hey Guys,

    Whats everyones favourite probiotic supplement... or the one that has had the most powerful impact?

    Im currently in the process of healing my gut (GAPS diet) so Ive used Bio-Kult and I'm now using Primal Defense Ultra. Im consuming about 40000CFU (8 capsule) a day from PD Ultra and not really having any die off which im surprised by.

    Are their any brands you guys totally recommend highly?

    Ive heard good things about Dr Ohirra Probiotics so might try them next.

    P.S. I also eat a lot of sauerkraut and drink Raw Kefir too!

    Thanks

    Oz
    Last edited by ozbuckley; 03-24-2012, 03:45 PM.

  • #2
    Heard a really cool paleo doc (practicing paleo x 12 years!!) rec one called Pharmax brand in passing at PaleoFx. He is the man as far as Paleo docs in my book, thus I am seeking it out when I run out of my biokults. I don't think he has any stake in the company or anything, just thought the guy who came up with it did a great job.
    Last edited by L8F; 03-24-2012, 04:56 PM.
    Started Whole30 December 31, 2011
    Integrated Leptin Reset/Jack Kruse plan Jan 13, 2012
    Starting Weight: 174.8
    CW:160.0 lbs

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm almost done with a bottle of Garden of Life RAW probiotics - 33 strains, 85 billion count. It gave me AWFUL toxic gas for a few days (die off?) and I have been consistently bloated since I've been on them - not sure if that's also part of the die off, or if I'm just having a bad reaction. I also drink kombucha and eat cultured almond/coconut 'yogurt'.

      I'm going to check out pharmax - thanks for the recomendation, L8F

      Comment


      • #4
        real sauerkraut and kefir.

        Comment


        • #5
          VSL#3 with 750 billion count. I'll warn you it is very expensive but I've had great results with it that I did not see with 4 other brands, including Custom Probiotics.

          jakey - some people can't handle real ferments for a short time due to histamine, mold, etc. Once the gut begins to heal and metabolic processes correct, fermented foods can be reintroduced. In fact, GAPS recommends fermented foods with every meal.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by jkr View Post
            jakey - some people can't handle real ferments for a short time due to histamine, mold, etc. Once the gut begins to heal and metabolic processes correct, fermented foods can be reintroduced. In fact, GAPS recommends fermented foods with every meal.
            okay, i'll bite... you can't handle real fermented food, but you can handle pills containing thousands of bacterial cultures? seriously, how does that work? (tone: honestly inquiring, mind blown if true, still skeptical)

            Comment


            • #7
              Is gas & bloating a sign you need probiotics more than you thought (i.e. die-off) or a sign a different probiotic might be a better fit?

              I bought Mark's Primal Flora in a pinch, thinking I'd go with something more potent next month... But Primal Flora is not agreeing with me, and so now I am afraid to go with something more potent.

              (Not trying to hijack the thread... I felt the question related to the OP's post.)
              5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

              "Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jkr View Post
                jakey - some people can't handle real ferments for a short time due to histamine, mold, etc. Once the gut begins to heal and metabolic processes correct, fermented foods can be reintroduced. In fact, GAPS recommends fermented foods with every meal.
                I'm sorry, I'm just gonna call bullshit. Actually my reading of SCD and GAPS suggests that if your in the excessive/diarrhea camp then you are acually REQUIRED to introduce the 24hr yogurt immediately. This is probably the least problematic ferment, but to my sensibilities stating that ANY ferment would be detrimental is outright incorrect.....And re-reading your paragragh....WHAT?

                Basically fermentation contributes to digestion and makes some constituents of health more bioavailable....so why is that detrimental?

                Comment


                • #9
                  I will stick by natural ferments like home made yogurt, kefir, kraut, and lacto-vegetables before any of your overpriced, underproducing, heat intolerant, megPCcorrect (ok I made this one up), store bought probiotic any day of the week and twice on sunday.
                  Last edited by Neckhammer; 03-24-2012, 08:10 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Probably not what you're looking for, but I take Digestive Advantage's lactose intolerance formula. Easily available (most drugstores), has been successful for a number of years at preventing a flare of SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth--I'm prone to it b/c of my short gut), and has the added advantage of lactase enzyme. I add in kefir or yogurt if I am unfortunate enough to be on antibiotics though. I do wish I had more space/time to make my own ferments, I do love Bubbies pickles/kraut though.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jakey View Post
                      okay, i'll bite... you can't handle real fermented food, but you can handle pills containing thousands of bacterial cultures? seriously, how does that work? (tone: honestly inquiring, mind blown if true, still skeptical)
                      Probiotic bacteria and histamine enzymes are two completely different things. Fermented foods contain bacteria (upside for gut health) but also are high in histamine (downside for those with enzyme problems.) Many people lacking adequate histamine enzymes experience sinus and lung problems, may experience intestinal distress but completely different than the war that happens between bacteria. Fermented foods are beneficial BUT the effects for some, like depression, headaches and asthma attacks, are not worth it until some healing occurs.

                      Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
                      I'm sorry, I'm just gonna call bullshit. Actually my reading of SCD and GAPS suggests that if your in the excessive/diarrhea camp then you are acually REQUIRED to introduce the 24hr yogurt immediately. This is probably the least problematic ferment, but to my sensibilities stating that ANY ferment would be detrimental is outright incorrect.....And re-reading your paragragh....WHAT?

                      Basically fermentation contributes to digestion and makes some constituents of health more bioavailable....so why is that detrimental?
                      Feel free to call bullshit. If you did a simple google search on histamine, you'd find that it is completely different than probiotic bacteria. Also, GAPS does not require the introduction of yogurt within 24 hours. Not only have I consulted for many, many families on GAPS, I've also worked with Dr. Allison Siebecker, one of the top experts on SIBO.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Those of us with candida cannot always take fermented foods for bacteria. They are full of YEAST!

                        I'm one of them. It pisses off my dermatitis and makes it worse.

                        I'm using Candex to kill off my candida FIRST, and then I'm looking at Primal Defense HSO probiotics: soil-based bacteria. YUM!
                        A Post-Primal PrimalPat

                        Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by patski View Post
                          Those of us with candida cannot always take fermented foods for bacteria. They are full of YEAST!

                          I'm one of them. It pisses off my dermatitis and makes it worse.

                          I'm using Candex to kill off my candida FIRST, and then I'm looking at Primal Defense HSO probiotics: soil-based bacteria. YUM!
                          Hi Patski,

                          I was/am in the same boat as you with the Candida.

                          You might want to try some homemade raw kefir from goats milk. there is yeast in the kefir but many of the strains have been shown to be arch enemies of candida albicans (the yeast that we have overgrown).

                          But in the end your body will tell you what it needs. Its much wiser than me! ;o)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ozbuckley View Post
                            Whats everyones favourite probiotic supplement... or the one that has had the most powerful impact?
                            I'm now using Primal Defense Ultra. Im consuming about 40000CFU (8 capsule) a day from PD Ultra and not really having any die off which im surprised by. Oz
                            I'm currently taking primal Defense Ultra too. I started a week ago, and have slowly worked up to 4 caps a day. I'm not sure on how high I will go (the suggested serving is 1 cap). I've not seen any results (either good nor bad) yet either.

                            Not sure what symptoms you are looking for in 'die off' - bloat? gas? the runs?

                            Nor do I know fully, how you assess whether you need probiotics, or even if they work! Still I was a bottle fed baby, and have always had serious digestive issues... so I figure it can't hurt.

                            Honestly I think just turning Paleo has done more for my digestion than anything else. So the most powerful impact for me, has had to have been my diet change.

                            Good luck with healing your gut.
                            SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
                            “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Kombucha
                              Innate Response Flora 20-14
                              Apex Energetic Strengtia

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X