Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you for or against dairy consumption?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you for or against dairy consumption?

I'm mainly talking about raw fermented cheese and greek yogurt

It works for me. Goat's and sheep's.

Dairy is an even vaguer term than carbs.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Raw and fermented dairy give me no problems whatsoever. I enjoy them frequently.
      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

It all depends. How do you feel when you eat it? In the beginning I cut it out for about 2 months and then added it back in a little at a time. For me i saw no down side to it. i still don't use a ton. Heavy cream in my coffee, butter in cooking, and a little cheese here and there.
        My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

I'm agnostic towards it. It doesn't do anything bad to me, but I'm not a huge fan of it either.
          Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
          CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

Some decisions aren't amenable to popular vote. I'm against peoples' harming themselves when they know better, and I'm for their doing whatever works for them. I eat dairy, but avoid bulk lactose, which means milk is out and cream/butter/cheese/yogurt/kefir is in. Works for me...
            6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
            ― Søren Kierkegaard

Comment

I gave up dairy except for butter back in October 2011. I can state that my nasal congestion for whatever reason has improved, even with this early spring and tons of pollen and mold in the air. I also feel better overall. I used to mock those that said that giving up dairy improves health, but I am a believer now.

Comment

I'm neither. each person has to find their own way. I do not consume it, but DS and DH have raw yogurt from our cow share.

Comment

I use butter on occasion for cooking. I put heavy whipping cream in my eggs. Cheese on occasion. Don't drink much milk as is. I never have drank it a lot, but rather infrequently, so not really giving anything up. Though I do like goats milk enough to drink it more regularly and plan to buy dairy goats when I have some property.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                    Raw and fermented dairy give me no problems whatsoever. I enjoy them frequently.
                    This.

Raw milk. Mmmmm (No lactose problems with raw, and I'm VERY lactose intolerant of pasteurized.)
                    10% fat smack you in the face tangy Greek yogurt. Mmmmmm.
                    Raw cream and butter.

I don't do much cheese just because I have to avoid salt.
                    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

I don't enjoy Greek yogurt unless I add at least an equal quantity of berries, and then I'd rather just add heavy whipping cream instead. Stopped eating any kind of cheese a few months ago, and haven't missed it (except for its role in pizza) enough to try adding raw fermented ones.
                      “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ―Bruce Lee

2012: 01/17 238~34% | 03/17 215~28%| 5/17 196~24% | 8/22 188 ~20% (then I got lazy)
                      2013: 1/27 190~20%

Comment

I did a paleo challenge at my gym and gave up all dairy except for butter/ghee for 6 weeks as part of it. I was surprised with how much fat I lost quite quickly during that time (I was already primal, so dairy was the only major change). I have had some issues with lactose intolerance, so I think I may have had a lesser reaction going on to full-fat dairy (HWC, cheeses, Greek yogurt) than I do to milk and so didn't overtly feel the effects. I don't know how I would be on raw dairy--I can only get raw milk cheese here.

I've simply accepted that *for me* it's probably best to keep dairy to an occasional indulgence rather than eating it regularly. However, I am agnostic about it for other people. It's something to experiment with if you're having problems, but if it works for you to keep it in, then awesome (and I'm sort of jealous because I miss my daily yogurt).
                        “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Definitely an individual choice.

For me - cheese, cream, butter and greek yogurt are fine. Milk is not (makes me fat and cravy), though I admit that I don't have (legal) access to raw dairy. When I visit my mom, I'll probably try some.
                          Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                            Definitely an individual choice.

For me - cheese, cream, butter and greek yogurt are fine. Milk is not (makes me fat and cravy), though I admit that I don't have (legal) access to raw dairy. When I visit my mom, I'll probably try some.
                            Agree totally. Milk always made me feel bloated & nauseous. I found the most divine tasting greek yoghurt here in Oz flavoured with vanilla bean (for those in Oz, Black Swan brand from Coles) - I have 2-3 teaspoons each morning & my tum feels much happier.
                            Odille
                            F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
                            following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Comment

kerrygold
                              kefir (goat's milk is my favorite, but pricey)
                              ghee (for roasting vegs)

no milk

i like cheese and greek yogurt but rarely buy them

Comment

Working...
                              X