I sleep less on a caloric deficit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I sleep less on a caloric deficit

Is this supposed to happen? I am naturally sleeping 7 hours now instead of the usual 8-9, but I am concerned about recovery from working out. I've found that every time I restrict calories my sleep level decreases, either on SAD, or Primal. Any explanations?
    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

That's interesting. Is it coinciding with whatever caffeine intake you have throughout your day/week?
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

Why are you so afraid of carbs?

Comment

Originally posted by DarthFriendly View Post
        wtf don't hijack my threads D:

I'm not sure if it's the caffeine. The coffee I drink at home is pretty weak, and at 11pm when I sleep, I'm hella tired. But I keep waking up at 6 now instead of 7 by alarm. And I don't wake up feeling that refreshed either, so I don't know what's up.

Comment

This is totally conjecture, but I would imagine that with less food to digest, your body has more energy left over for other functions like detoxing and repair and therefore you need less sleep. How do you feel on less sleep- are you waking up earlier because you feel refreshed or are you waking up earlier with interrupted sleep and feel tired?

Edit- never mind, I see you don't feel refreshed.

Comment

hey, depending on the deficit, this could be a stress response. how many calories are you cutting?

Comment

google "ketosis sleep" and I think you'll get your answer
              Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

I don't think I'm in ketosis because I now eat about 50-150g carbs a day, plus all of the carbs are eaten at night before I go to sleep. I'm at a caloric level of 1400-2200 a day, and average maybe 1900-2000 a week? I'm a girl, and I work out almost every day for up to an hour doing heavy lifting and up to 20 min doing sprints. I walk a little bit. I don't think it's a huge deficit (compared to SAD when I was at 1300 daily and doing an hour of cardio) so I don't know why this is happening again.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott F View Post
                  google "ketosis sleep" and I think you'll get your answer
                  I'm not her, but I found - from what was googled - the quick material I glossed over interesting. I wake up within four hours of sleep. I don't know if I should force it either.
                  If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

ROFL. Stop it right now! You're killing me! ROFL. I can't take all this jiggling from the laughter because it's causing "chronic cardio" and I may have to have some carbs.... and I'm afraid now!
                    "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                      I don't think I'm in ketosis because I now eat about 50-150g carbs a day, plus all of the carbs are eaten at night before I go to sleep. I'm at a caloric level of 1400-2200 a day, and average maybe 1900-2000 a week? I'm a girl, and I work out almost every day for up to an hour doing heavy lifting and up to 20 min doing sprints. I walk a little bit. I don't think it's a huge deficit (compared to SAD when I was at 1300 daily and doing an hour of cardio) so I don't know why this is happening again.
                      Ok, It looks to me you are working out way too much to the point of overtraining/overreaching and it's likely affecting your sleep quality. What is your goal from that much volume?
                      Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Comment

I second Scott's point. you should do more "walking,"less sprinting, also

Comment

How close to your sleep do you exercise? If it's too close, it will affect your ability to fall asleep.
                          I also wouldn't be able sleep long enough to be fresh the next day if I often went to bed feeling hungry...
                          Take a walk on the wild side.

Comment

You should be afraid of carbs except in summer-they kill.

Comment

They only kill if you are a sock-puppet.
                              F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Working...
                              X