Vegeterian

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vegeterian

I have not read the book, does the blue print address vegeterians, or have a vegeterian option??

Not really~ if you regularly eat eggs and cheese, you might be able to squeak by, but there really isn't support here for non-meat eaters. Basically, the grains/legumes/soy that vegetarians depend on for their protein needs are not used for primal eating. Are you willing to convert, at least eat fish?

Comment

I'm so sick of this vegetarian phobia. Even Ellen Ashwipe over on her paleo-raw-vegan blog says that she's walked away from shunning CAFO meat diapers because all the available research the Denise Minger has painstakingly scrimshawed onto the backs of her eyelids explains that yer all a bunch of doodoo lovin' surf muppets.

Dang, it sure is a good thing that I can question all the CW around here.

Comment

Yes, there are people who do it in a vegetarian way. It would not be possible to do it vegan, but vegetarian, yes.

You will need eggs and dairy -- and if you feel comfortable eating fish (technically not vegetarian), then it will likely be even more successful because it gives you fish, a bone broth option, as well as caviar, etc.

But yes, technically, it can be done.

Comment

If you're doing it for health reasons, you need to some more reading.

If you're doing it for ethical reasons, then I wish you the best of luck, but don't kid yourself as you are trading optimal health for your morals. That may be admirable depending on your position, but it is a sacrifice.

You may find this a useful place to start...

http://www.amazon.com/Vegetarian-Myt.../dp/1604860804

Here's an interview with the author

Last edited by NWPrimate; 03-23-2012, 03:24 PM.

Comment

pescatarian? simple. vegetarian? no problem. vegan? big problem.

Comment

One more video for you...

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
                pescatarian? simple. vegetarian? no problem. vegan? big problem.
                This.

If you can eat eggs and dairy, you could probably do it. Including fish would be even better.

Vegan? Yeah, that's not going to work. There are just some things that you can only get from animal sources.
                Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                  This.

If you can eat eggs and dairy, you could probably do it. Including fish would be even better.

Vegan? Yeah, that's not going to work. There are just some things that you can only get from animal sources.
                  I respectfully disagree, as I have eaten a whole foods plant based diet for over 30 years.
                  I am not trying to tell anyone what to eat (or not eat), but just thought it only fair to interject here with some first hand experience from the other side of the coin.

Peace - jv

Comment

Originally posted by johneeeveee View Post
                    I respectfully disagree, as I have eaten a whole foods plant based diet for over 30 years.
                    I am not trying to tell anyone what to eat (or not eat), but just thought it only fair to interject here with some first hand experience from the other side of the coin.

Peace - jv
                    From what food source do you get your B-12?

Comment

Originally posted by johneeeveee View Post

Peace - jv
                      You didn't grow up eating eggs or meat or any animal products? That's highly unusual.

While I appreciate your post, I just don't see how you can be healthy over the long haul with no B-12 or a few other key nutrients. You would have to supplement, which kind of makes a healthy vegan diet an oxymoron.
                      Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by Nady View Post
                        From what food source do you get your B-12?
                        The topic of B12 is a big, and somewhat complicated discussion... for anyone, eating any diet.
                        I was a bodybuilder decades ago, ate tons of red meat, etc. I had some issues that led me to getting blood work done, and among other things, my B12 was very low. The other health issues led me to exploring a vegan diet, and after a number of months eating no animal products i went in for another blood test, and lo and behold, although my B12 was still somewhat low, it had actually risen. This puzzled me, as i had expected a different result and had planned on supplementing. That led to much research, which i recommend to anyone who is interested, and learning about intrinsic factor and absorption issues, and studies that showed B12 deficiencies in almost half of meat eating participants.

So... long story made as short as i can, I now take a sublingual 500 mcg methylcobalamin supplement about twice a week, and would need to take this regardless of my diet... although strangely enough, my B12 levels were higher on a vegan diet (before supplementation) than they ever were eating meat. Maybe it's the mass amounts of greens i eat and don't wash overly well. i dunno, but this is my experience for what it may be worth. I suggest anyone concerned or interested read "Could it be B12", or take a look at the Framingham study.

I have also trained many vegan athletes who were tested and were low B12... and adding animal products had zero effect on raising their levels. Some now get regular injections, as many athletes, vegan or not, seem to regularly do. many of the meat eating athletes i have trained also tested low for B12 and are now taking injections.

It can most definitely be an issue, and it's most definitely not a purely vegan issue.
                        Thanks - jv
                        Last edited by johneeeveee; 03-23-2012, 05:50 PM.

Comment

johneeeveee:

I would be interested to see how you align your vegan diet along the lines of primal (and that includes if you take supplements -- many primals do anyway, so why that would be at issue is funny to me. ).

Can you give an example of your macro-ratios of calories and the sources that you use? A sort of "average kind of day" in the life of your diet?

That includes supplements (if you use them) like protein powders and stuff.

I would find it very insightful.

Comment

Btw, right on about B12.

For a supplement, you are definitely using one of the better supplements. A lot of vegans simply rely on nutritional yeast and the supplements in soy milk and such -- but it doesn't break down to the right number of micrograms, and the amount you hae to consume of this stuff to actually get the daily allotment is quite high. Whereas, taking methylcobalamin is exceptionally good, and the body absorbs it fairly easily.

Of course, this is not as easy on the body as an animal source, but in so far as viability of the diet, I think it's definitely a workable solution.

I always find it ironic when people go "but you have to take supplements!" and yet -- so many of the people on this forum DO take supplements in the forms of vitamins, pills, and even protein powders.

While I would rather get all of this from food, I certainly don't think that supplementation is wrong or inherently problematic -- whether a person is vegan or not.

Comment

Cool, thanks, Zoe... happy to... and love the discusion.

I eat a lot of the same things as "paleo" folk... just minus the meat, really.

Where we do differ, although i am still learning all the different ways the paleo diet varies... is that i tend to run on fruit and veggie carbs and limit my fats (avocados, hemp seeds, chia seeds, some soaked and sprouted nuts and seeds from time to time), whereas paleo dieters i believe mostly run on fats or are "ketone adapted". correct?

I eat from 3-4000 calories a day, mostly carbs, with the remaining 10% made up of protein and fats. I take in from 40-70 grams of protein a day, usually less than 20 grams of so from fats. I tend to look a bit further out than 'daily" and more over the long haul if that makes sense. i take no supplements other than the sublingual B12. I weight train and do hill runs and sprints, yoga, and martial arts training. I'm 50 years old.

Thanks very much for asking : )

Oh, and I don't eat any soy or processed foods, or grains, which i think is in line with raw paleo folk... just TONS of organic whole fruits and veggies, and small amounts of nuts, seeds and avo : )
                              Last edited by johneeeveee; 03-23-2012, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X