Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Isn't really primal... but you eat it anyway?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isn't really primal... but you eat it anyway?

Just wondering what if anything you eat or do that isn't really primal. Perhaps we need a list of what isn't really primal first :lol:

What I consider not primal
    • Milk - lactose, the fact that we stop producing lactase after childhood supports this.
    • Cooking with oils (cooking with animal fat or coconut oil is ok - as they suffer less from heat damage)
    • Alcohol
    • Anything that couldn't really be eaten raw - such as potatoes
    • Sugar or any modern substitute (some exceptions - such as honey)
    • Cooked foods - only really been part of the human diet for the last 10,000 years

Where do I break the rules?

Currently... just cooked foods and potatoes.
    :-)

Originally posted by Ast View Post
    Just wondering what if anything you eat or do that isn't really primal. Perhaps we need a list of what isn't really primal first :lol:

• Milk - lactose, the fact that we stop producing lactase after childhood supports this.
    • Cooking with oils (cooking with animal fat or coconut oil is ok - as they suffer less from heat damage)
    • Alcohol
    • Cooked foods - only really been part of the human diet for the last 10,000 years

Um, the archaeological evidence shows humans cooking and eating food 250,000 years ago.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
      Um, the archaeological evidence shows humans cooking and eating food 250,000 years ago.
      Matt LaLonde provided nutritional evidence regarding cooking; and inspired me to cook my vegetables, more often.
      If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

Originally posted by Ast View Post

• Alcohol

I drink milk.
        I eat potatoes raw on occasion, but usually cook them.
        And I cook my meats. I won't eat meat raw.
        Primal since March 5, 2012
        SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

mine are gluten free treats, on occasion.
          If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

Alcohol- the ill effects last for days and when eaten with other non primal foods.............. just really bad.

Comment

Actually we dont stop producing lactase, the problem is once you pasteurize milk it no longer controls lactase... raw milk has both lactose and lactase. So you can actually build up your lactase bacteria. Humans have been herding animals for milk for a lot longer then we've been eating grains and I think a lot of people are well adapted to handling raw milk products.

I consume... raw milk cheddar cheese, whipped cream, white rice on a fairly regular basis and dont consider it my 20%.

I cook all my meat too, we have been cooking meat for a lot longer then 10K years.

Sometimes I eat soybean and/or canola oil in salad dressings or when I go out to eat but I try to minimize this...

ice cream would be the only other thing I eat somewhat regularly (once every other month..maybe more in the summer) that is not primal.. everything else is random
              Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

Milk. Sure. I drink only raw goat milk kefir and raw goat cheese. Supposed to be much easier to digest.

Potatoes. I say they're primal. I believe our bodies evolved on cooked food.

Alcohol - don't underestimate human ingenuity when it comes to getting stoned. I bet there was some kind of fermentation going on. American Indians had it.

Comment

chocolate! I love bits of Theo 70% chocolate bars. No fake crap in it so I justify it.

Is rice primal? I thought it was a grain...

Comment

Originally posted by Nelle View Post
                    chocolate! I love bits of Theo 70% chocolate bars. No fake crap in it so I justify it.

Is rice primal? I thought it was a grain...
                    It's a safe starch, pretty well tolerated. It's very "grey"
                    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

Originally posted by dbalch View Post
                      Alcohol - don't underestimate human ingenuity when it comes to getting stoned. I bet there was some kind of fermentation going on. American Indians had it.
                      Seriously. Even birds and elephants and other animals know about fermented fruit.
                      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Popcorn.

It's just yummy sometimes.

And potato chips. "Kettle" brand.

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                          Popcorn.

It's just yummy sometimes.
                          +1 on the popcorn! My occasional guilty pleasure! Air-popped with CO, drizzled with kerrygold, salt, and some parmesan cheese...

Comment

Was there a reuben with chilli cheese fries on that list?

Comment

Peanut butter. More specifically Trader Joe’s natural creamy peanut butter. It’s delicious. I just eat it straight out of the jar. If anything ever becomes my downfall/undoing it will be peanut butter. I hate to say it but if I were stranded on a desert island with only 5 foods, peanut butter would have to be one of them.
                              “You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.” - Ron Swanson

Comment

Working...
                              X