Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last meal of the day - how long before bed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last meal of the day - how long before bed?

How many hours before bedtime is your last meal of the day... and do you have any 'snacks' after that?
    :-)

I eat around 2-3 pm then do CrossFit at 6.30 pm and don't eat after. I am in bed about 9 pm, so 6-7 hours before bed.
    Last edited by Ayla2010; 03-21-2012, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Same. No snacks. Also no Crossfit.
      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

about 4/4.5 hours before bed I eat something

Comment

3-4 hours normally, usually no snacks, but once in a while I might have some cheese half hour before bed.

Comment

I probably go 5-8 hours between dinner and sleep. No snacking or anything like that either, it helps me wake up with a bit more focus and drive the next day. I'm up for an hour or so, eat breakfast, then it's off to work or some other activity. I've never bothered with fasting, one meal a day, or any of that because 3 squares a day based on real food seems to be working just fine.
            Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
            CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

i usually eat a big meal 1-2 hours before bed, no snacking after. i also have a snack a few hours before that meal.
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Originally posted by @lex View Post
                I probably go 5-8 hours between dinner and sleep. No snacking or anything like that either, it helps me wake up with a bit more focus and drive the next day. I'm up for an hour or so, eat breakfast, then it's off to work or some other activity. I've never bothered with fasting, one meal a day, or any of that because 3 squares a day based on real food seems to be working just fine.
                I need to do this, it sounds like it would work for me. I notice that when I eat closer to bedtime and I need to wake up for work, waking up is harder.
                "Carbs are the victim, not the crime" - ChocoTaco

Comment

Incidently, the whole don't eat before bed or you will gain weight has been proven to be bullshit. Now if eating affects your sleep that is different of course. But no worries on the weight thing.

Comment

depends 1-4 hours.
                    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

Just before going to bed, normally feeding between 7 and 9 pm, dinner proper and a few cups of tea after my meal with some coconut milk, ham or other snack till I feel comfortably full. If I don't, I wake up hungry at 2 am, and seeing I need to get up between 3 and 4 am, I can't afford losing 2 hrs of sleep I find it easier to fast in the am, than in PM. Ideally, I aim for an early lunch (10-11 am), pre-workout snack (~3 pm) and a dinner (7-9 pm) as my 3 meals a day. If I train in the morning, i go fasted.
                      Last edited by Leida; 03-22-2012, 08:10 AM.
                      My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                      When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

Jack Kruse makes an interesting argument for not eating too close to bedtime:

COLD THERMOGENESIS 7 - Jack Kruse

"SNACKING AFTER DINNER: EFFECT ON CIRCADIAN CYCLES:

"If you choose to eat within 4 hours of sleep you will never see the prolactin surge you need, because any spike in insulin turns off this critical sleep time release that corresponds to the cellular maximums of the autophagic process for humans. Something also happens. Agouti, the incretin gut hormone also rises in the blood to higher than normal levels to block leptin from entering the brain. Diurnal cycles for agouti are coupled to NPY and have major affects on leptin. Agouti is a gene product that normally increases the release of leptin from fat cells at night to signal the brain of what the energy status is of the body. This is great when it is working well. When it is elevated due to heavy carbohydrate use in our diet it creates a massive problem. This is why late night carbohydrate snacking is a real bad thing to do."
                        Makin moves. Makin money. Makin bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by highaerials36 View Post
                          I need to do this, it sounds like it would work for me. I notice that when I eat closer to bedtime and I need to wake up for work, waking up is harder.
                          If I eat close to bedtime I end up staying awake longer and getting out of bed is an absolute pain in the ass. Since I changed things up I sleep like a log, and literally snap awake at 5-7 am every day. I collect myself for a bit then cook a decent breakfast, then it's off to the farm. The breakfast keeps me satisfied through the early morning and I end up eating a smaller lunch at around noon or so. Work continues, and I end up getting back to the house around 5 or 6 for dinner. I go back to the farm and finish things up then head back home and relax for the evening before going to sleep. On workout days I exercise before dinner and eat a larger meal, but it's essentially the same from day to day. I rarely snack, and if I do it's a banana or apple on my way out the door. My job is physically demanding, so this method works for me. If I worked at a desk or something like that then I'd probably eat differently, but everyone needs to tweak things to fit their particular situation and goals.
                          Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
                          CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

Originally posted by Forever Young View Post
                            Incidently, the whole don't eat before bed or you will gain weight has been proven to be bullshit. Now if eating affects your sleep that is different of course. But no worries on the weight thing.
                            Any study you know of that supports that? I agree with it (makes sense from a biological standpoint) and I've been hearing that from everyone, but I'm a huge nerd and would love to read the study.

Comment

Unless you are following a fasting protocol, it honestly doesn't matter. Prior to doing leangains, I would eat whenever, snack whenever. This whole NO snack thing is BS too. If you are hungry eat. There isn't some "fewest meals and no snack" award ceremony.
                              "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X