What gives?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What gives?

I no longer eat pasta, grains, diet coke. The three main things that caused a problem in my former diet I have cut out. Yet my scale continues to say I am not loosing, I'm holding steady with an additional pound once in a while. I walk on a more regular basis...not daily but at least 3 days a week. I have limited my dairy, eat meats, veggis and fruits yet nothing seems to be happening. I feel like I get full faster but confused as to why my scale stays the same...granted it is a cheap $6 scale from Family Dollar lol. Should I ignore the scale.

What should I do?

There are a few things to think about:

1) Yeah, cheap scale... check that.
    2) Make sure you're also cutting out SUGARS as well. If ketosis is what you want, be careful of the sugars found in fruits and other natural starches. Still good for you, just limited quantities.
    3) Start doing more than walking if you haven't already. I'm in a plateau phase right now as well (30lbs down, 20 more to go) and am going to be focusing a lot more on my "lift heavy things" and "run for your life" sessions.

Also, just don't get discouraged. Sometimes your body needs to heal a bunch of other systems inside itself before it gets to (or back to) weight loss. I know my first week SUCKED when I cut out sugar, and I had zero weight loss to show for it, but my skin cleared up in about three days. Sometimes you've just got other stuff to work out.

Good luck!
    If you want to reach the end of the trail, first you must find the beginning.
    If you want to be strong enough to walk the trail, trust your feet.
    If you want to go fast, go alone - if you want to go far, go together.

6'0" white female, age 24
    Pre-paleo: 247.8 lbs
    Current weight: 212.8
    Goal: 199.9 (and to rock a two piece bathing suit surfing in Costa Rica this November!)

Comment

Also can I take CLA while on this diet? Conjugated Lenolic Acid.

Comment

Originally posted by Joara View Post
        Also can I take CLA while on this diet? Conjugated Lenolic Acid.
        If you eat plenty of eggs and grass-fed animal meats, you probably wouldnt. What made you take that anyway ? It can have bad side effects including an increased chance of diabetes.
        But Im no doctor!!
        I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

Comment

Do you have a food log or can you tell us what and when you eat during the day typically?
          Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

Weight from a scale is not an accurate measure of health. Ditch the scale, focus on measurements and (if possible) body fat %.

Comment

The scale is a ridiculous way to track progress. I use one out of pure curiosity, but I fully realize that weight doesn't mean much. Take measurements, take pictures, go by how your clothes fit. In the past month I have lost only a couple of pounds, but the pants I bought a month ago are falling off! Hang in there and be patient with your body. Like Avalon said, there is much healing to be done!
              You don't have to be sick to get better.
              Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
              Primal start: 1/2/2012
              My Primal Journal
              Living, loving and learning.

Comment

Originally posted by Avalon View Post

Also, just don't get discouraged. Sometimes your body needs to heal a bunch of other systems inside itself before it gets to (or back to) weight loss. I know my first week SUCKED when I cut out sugar, and I had zero weight loss to show for it, but my skin cleared up in about three days. Sometimes you've just got other stuff to work out.

Good luck!
                So glad you posted this! Like the OP, I'm also really bummed about not losing and my perfectionist mentality had me ready to quit. It's been 8 days of no grains, sugar, fruit and I have only lost 2 pounds (1 of which was back this morning). But I just keep reminding myself that I'm feeling better. I just noticed yesterday that acne I've had on my chest for as long as I can remember is completely gone! And I have lost an inch from my waist and have more energy. I resolved today to not weigh myself for a while and just focus on eating for wellness. Eventually, if I am eating whole Primal foods and not SAD foods, while maintaining a moderate exercise/activity level, some weight *has* to come off. (Right? RIGHT!?) Even if it's only a few pounds and it takes a year, it will be worth it.

Comment

What about exercise? I am not seeing that anywhere. How about sprinting once a week?

Comment

I do see fruit (sugar) in what you eat every day, and I don't see animal fats.

Since I started doing this I have had periods of weight loss and periods of stability. I have always found the stability periods have coincided with eating dietary sugars (inc. fruit) and higher carb, including wheat. I still do eat dietary sugars and carbs from time to time because I think I need to (not wheat normally, seems to be addictive), but actual weight loss spells have always been low carb/sugar and lots of meat and fat. Veg is a constant, as is animal fats.
                    Last edited by billp; 03-22-2012, 02:17 AM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Originally posted by SugarBritches View Post
                      ....It's been 8 days of no grains, sugar, fruit and I have only lost 2 pounds (1 of which was back this morning)...But I just keep reminding myself that I'm feeling better. I just noticed yesterday that acne I've had on my chest for as long as I can remember is completely gone! And I have lost an inch from my waist and have more energy. I resolved today to not weigh myself for a while and just focus on eating for wellness. Eventually, if I am eating whole Primal foods and not SAD foods, while maintaining a moderate exercise/activity level, some weight *has* to come off. (Right? RIGHT!?) ....
                      I recommend a heaping serving of *patience* And ditching the scale. Society gets so hung up on weight loss at the expense of overall health...instead of "right sizing" as a result of optimal health.

I've been eating this way for 4.5 months, and it was about 6 weeks before I noticed a difference in the way my clothes fit. Granted, I eased into Primal one food elimination/introduction at a time, so I wasn't expecting miracles. But the other benefits of eating for optimal health were clear from the first week....edema has disappeared, better sleep, no middle-of-the-night panic attacks and insomnia, less PMS, better hair, skin and nails, less 'carb' craving, more *meat* craving, almost no gas & bloating, less frequent hunger, more alert, etc., etc. I am reaquainting myself with my hunger cues, and enjoying lots of really tasty, high quality food.

Sounds like you're experiencing the benefits as well

Now my belt & bra are on the tightest notch, and I'm wearing pants I havent seen in a year. I have no idea what my starting and current weight are, since there is no scale in my house. I'm confident that eating and living well will eventually result in settling at a naturally healthy size/weight, and I'm willing to wait and see what that is. The only drawback to primal eating? I freaking LOVE food, always have, and waiting until I'm hungry to eat something mouthwatering is trying my patience!
                      Sandra
                      *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Comment

Typically in the morning I have two egg muffins and a fruit smoothie. The last two mornings I skipped the smoothie and had 3 muffins. They had egg, spinach, tomato and sausage. At college I get a salad using pineapple juice instead of ranch. Dinner varies, baked chicken and vegetables, baked pork chop and veggis, baked ham. No pasta, no rice, small portions of potatoes though. Very limited milk and cheese. Also no grains or bread. This has been my diet for the last week. I get full on one plate now instead of seconds and even thirds like I use to so I do see that difference. I only drink water now....and occasionally a starbucks white chocolate for all the vitamins (and great flavor lol).

I try to walk at least 3 days a week, being in school and taking care of two kids in school kinda cramps my workout options.

What next?

Comment

I haven't taken CLA but some one told me I should.

Comment

Depends on how much you weigh really. Are you wanting to lose 10lbs or 50lbs? That makes a huge difference.
                            I have only lost 9lbs'ish since starting this WOL in Nov of 2010. I hover around 200lbs and really don't think about it too much.
                            I figure if my body wanted to weigh less, it would.

Typically in the morning I have two egg muffins and a fruit smoothie.
                            I take it that egg muffins are just made of eggs? You make these yourself?

I only drink water now....and occasionally a starbucks white chocolate for all the vitamins (and great flavor lol).
                            WTF? What vitamins are in a white chocolate mocha? Seriously?

I haven't taken CLA but some one told me I should.
                            You *can* take it, but if you are eating properly you don't need to. There is a lot of CLA in grass fed beef/bison/lamb.
                            There should be adequate amounts in pastured eggs.
                            People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

The egg muffins are eggs, spinach, tomato and sausage. I don't have a can with me but it's one of those enriched sport drinks. Coffee, guarana and I think ginseng as well. As good as it is I will probably cut it out of my diet. I don't know if the meats I get are grass fed. I buy from food lion, Harris Teeter, or Piggly Wiggly.

Comment

Working...
                              X