Low Carb and depression

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Carb and depression

Lately I can't go more than 2 days eating less than 75 grams of carbs because I get really depressed. I feel better temporarily after I eat half a sweet potato or a small serving or rice, but then I feel guilty about eating it and hungrier the next day. Then I eat another potato or some more rice, and it's a never ending cycle of depression, temporary relief, then guilt. I can't seem to lose any weight and that is adding to my feelings of hopelessness. Then I feel ugly and self conscious every morning I wake up and look in the mirror at the fat woman staring back at me. My self esteem has gone out the window and I don't know how to find it again. Does anyone have any remedies for these feelings? Just to recap, my goal is to lose 30 pounds or at least fit into a size 6 again, I'm currently a size 12.

whats the rest of your diet like? half a sweet potatoe isnt that extreme, id avoid the rice..

i eat a large sweet potato once a week
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Comment

Get the carbs out for a few days, will help you to re-establish control which will increase self esteem- has done utter wonders for me personally:
      Atkins Article : The Fat Fast

The high fat is amazing for depression.

Then plan on being CAREFUL with carbs till summer starts. Make small changes- use raspberries and blueberries, not apples, grapefruits or bananas. Don't have more than 1 sweet potato per week. If you must have rice, have it in a chicken bowl in public and enjoy it. Don't buy any sweets like chocolate and don't have wine.
      Going off dairy like kefir may also help- just have some goat cheese in a big a$$ salad.

Comment

If low carb is making you feel shitty then stop going low carb. You can listen to diet gurus and authors argue over what macro-nutrient is the best all day, but the best thing you can actually do is experiment with your diet and find what makes you feel best. I tried low carb and it was awful, and since I added back in natural carbs I've lost 20 pounds and feel great.
        Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
        CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

Originally posted by @lex View Post
          If low carb is making you feel shitty then stop going low carb. You can listen to diet gurus and authors argue over what macro-nutrient is the best all day, but the best thing you can actually do is experiment with your diet and find what makes you feel best. I tried low carb and it was awful, and since I added back in natural carbs I've lost 20 pounds and feel great.
          +1
          Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

listen, not everything is diet related... you say you feel depressed eating low carb, then depressed after a day when you add carbs back. maybe time to get someone you can talk to - a shrink...

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
              listen, not everything is diet related... you say you feel depressed eating low carb, then depressed after a day when you add carbs back. maybe time to get someone you can talk to - a shrink...
              True, it could be that the diet changes were just triggers and not root causes, there could be underlying issues that need to be addressed. You also seem to have a guilt association with food which you need to get rid of, nobody needs to feel guilty over a potato or piece of fruit despite what some crackpots on the internet say.
              Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
              CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

Originally posted by jakey View Post
                I contest to the fact that I started to feel depressed when I went VLC for awhile and there were no other changes in my life. You really cant understand it until you feel it yourself.

It is also good to work on other things as well as diet, but diet most certainly has affects on the mind! I suggest you do some more research in this area, as it is huge. Ever gotten butterfly's in your stomach when you were nervous? That's one example..anyways

I would suggest making sure you are getting lots of sunlight, exercise, and try some meditation techniques. This is great for stress management. I have no doubt that your diet is effecting your mood tho. Do what makes you feel good. There is no need to go VLC unless you have a serious medical condition.
                Primal since March 2011

Comment

Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
                  Get the carbs out for a few days, will help you to re-establish control which will increase self esteem- has done utter wonders for me personally:
                  Atkins Article : The Fat Fast

The high fat is amazing for depression.

Then plan on being CAREFUL with carbs till summer starts. Make small changes- use raspberries and blueberries, not apples, grapefruits or bananas. Don't have more than 1 sweet potato per week. If you must have rice, have it in a chicken bowl in public and enjoy it. Don't buy any sweets like chocolate and don't have wine.
                  Going off dairy like kefir may also help- just have some goat cheese in a big a$$ salad.
                  What in the hell are you taking about????
                  "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I agree with Jack Kruse that carbs aren't healthy in the winter. We're just at a point where you will be able to increase your carbs and enjoy them once summer starts.
                    You are not depressed because of eating low carb, you are depressed because the carbs are making you fat and you feel depressed. You might also give up on losing weight, seriously, till next fall, then go full force on it again. In the meantime, you should do a trial run of no carbs Atkins Fat Fast for a few days to gear yourself up so you know you *can* do it. What has happened is you've gotten yourself in a place mentally where you think you can't do it. I know, I've been there. The leptin reset is a good low carb program you might also consider doing between now and summer.
                    THE LEPTIN RX...FAQ's - Jack Kruse

If you can, also consider getting outside for a little while in the morning in the cold or taking cold showers and baths- energizing anti depressing and metabolism boosting.

Comment

Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
                      I agree with Jack Kruse that carbs aren't healthy in the winter. We're just at a point where you will be able to increase your carbs and enjoy them once summer starts.
                      You are not depressed because of eating low carb, you are depressed because the carbs are making you fat and you feel depressed.
                      Most people don't get depressed because they gain a pound or two... I think you are off base here. This person wasnt even complaining of weight gain.. so that is quite the leap.. they added carbs after they felt depressed...
                      Primal since March 2011

Comment

^^ She said in the OP that she can see visual proof of what carbs are doing to her and that is making her depressed. Likely, her body fat % has gone up or plateaued at a point that she is not happy with. High body fat really can depress you- I should know- and *carbs* *do* *cause* *it* in winter. I'm with Dr. Kruse 100% on this.

Also, 75 grams of carbs a day at the tail end of winter is HIGH CARBS, not low carb.

Comment

Originally posted by ar0e View Post
                          Lately I can't go more than 2 days eating less than 75 grams of carbs because I get really depressed. I feel better temporarily after I eat half a sweet potato or a small serving or rice, but then I feel guilty about eating it and hungrier the next day. Then I eat another potato or some more rice, and it's a never ending cycle of depression, temporary relief, then guilt. I can't seem to lose any weight and that is adding to my feelings of hopelessness. Then I feel ugly and self conscious every morning I wake up and look in the mirror at the fat woman staring back at me. My self esteem has gone out the window and I don't know how to find it again. Does anyone have any remedies for these feelings? Just to recap, my goal is to lose 30 pounds or at least fit into a size 6 again, I'm currently a size 12.
                          Didn't read any other answers, but there are several possible issues.

1. is carb/sugar addiction. In that case getting through the withdraws is the most important issue to claiming back your health and your life

2. is gut dysbiosis. In general the little bad guys that exist primarily on startches and sugars are pissed that you have cut off their food supply. In general this means the same thing as one applies cause these little pests actually cause your depressed symptoms an cravings.

3. Factors outside of diet that you have associated with your carb load making you feel good

4. Going low carb too quickly. There is some discussion as to a small percentage of people cutting too quick inducing some of these symptoms, so a more scaled reduction in carbs may be need.

5. Simply not eating enough food. Extreme low calorie can also lead to these symptoms.

6. Make sure your getting your vitamin D! I should have listed this first for depression related things, but sometimes the most obvious can slip your mind.

Dunno which one is your case, and I'm sure there are a couple I didn't even include but I think these are the main ones.
                          Last edited by Neckhammer; 03-20-2012, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Eat the carbs. Get your brain some glucose.

If you're doing something that's having negative results for your body, listen to your body. You may not lose the weight as quickly as you want to, and I know that can be hard, but listen to your body and eat what it needs! If you drop 30 pounds and you're depressed, have you actually done yourself any good?

Comment

Originally posted by bobbitt81 View Post
                              Eat the carbs. Get your brain some glucose.

If you're doing something that's having negative results for your body, listen to your body. You may not lose the weight as quickly as you want to, and I know that can be hard, but listen to your body and eat what it needs! If you drop 30 pounds and you're depressed, have you actually done yourself any good?
                              Not disagreeing in all aspects, but "listen to your body" isnt always the best advise. Suppose it is gut dysbiosis causing her issues. Listening to her body just gets her listening to microorganisms causing her ill health.

Comment

Working...
                              X