Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In a rut - need advice

Hi,

I've been primal now for almost two months. I have no complaints and feel awesome. I eat primal 95% of the time with just the occasional drink or a few chips and salsa once a month or so. I am a 25 year old male, 5'10 and weigh 210 after starting primal at 234. I am happy with my results so far but I have been in a rut for the last 2 weeks or so. My day usually consists of IF until lunch. (12-2 depending on how i feel) Lunch consists of a big ass salad with chicken or some sort of protein ( pork, chicken, steak, ground beef are the usual ) with a salad, cauliflower or brussel sprouts. Usually fitting an avocado in there 3-4 days a week. On most days I dont snack but if its a heavy lifting day I may have a handful of almonds, pistachios or possibly some fruit. Dinner around 6:30 or 7 on most days and consisting mostly the same as lunch. A lot of protein with either salad or vegetables. Only drink water throughout the day. As far as portions go, I dont really watch them. I eat if Im hungry and dont eat when Im not. I guess my question is is there anything I can try to implement to jump start my weight loss again? Should I watch portions more carefully? Is it bad to IF most weekdays? If I'm hungry I will make 3 eggs with a few slices of bacon.

My workouts are pretty steady.
    Monday - sprint,
    Tuesday - usually rest or do a quick tabata if I feel good.
    Wednesday- lift
    Thursday - rest day.
    Friday -lift heavy
    Saturday and Sunday - pretty active days for me mostly consisting of racquetball and basketball.

My schedule is pretty flexible. If I feel good, I am more active. If I am sore, I rest. If I'm hungry, I eat. If I'm not hungry, I don't. Any information or recommendations are appreciated. I feel great and I am not discouraged at all, just looking for a little direction to continue my weight loss. Thanks.

First of all, you lost 24lbs in 2 months. GREAT job! Congrats!!!

Do you feel energized after lifting?
    Are you getting stronger in weight and reps everytime?

I'm assuming you gained some muscle too.

My guess is you should add some carbs after lifting. Fasting everyday isn't necessarily bad but eating something first thing might help you actually lose some weight. I mean, I've been eating 3 meals a day and fasting 24hrs/week and I'm losing weight steadily. But that's me. You gotta experiment with this. Sorry, I don't have definite answers for you.

Comment

what jo said..

try adding some carrots or sweet potatoes on your lift days, and fasting everyday isn't bad, but you might want to experiment. try two weeks of something different to give your body a chance to give you results.

i didn't have good success with fasting everyday, but i didn't have anything bad either...but now i'm going to give a 48 hour fast a go and see how it treats me, just to try it out...probably eat a whole cow on wednesday though

plus take your measurements, sometimes the scale doesn't do anything for me or it goes up, but my measurements tell a different story on whats going on in my body
      http://myquest4happiness.blogspot.com/
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread48307.html (journal)

Comment

i agree you are gaining muscle .. but lots of people lose faster when they give up fruits/nuts .. i know its true for me as well
        started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Comment

Check measurements along with weight if you haven't. You probably really are just adding muscle. Check your sleep. Check your fat intake (it could be too low). Try some coffee if you can tolerate it (add butter too). I read the Bulletproof Exec. along with MDA to troubleshoot. Trial and error. Congrats on the progress so far!!!

Comment

I'm too new to have any advice, but wanted to give you a virtual high five for the amazing weight loss to date! Great job!
            Primal since March 5, 2012
            SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

Originally posted by JoPaleo View Post
              First of all, you lost 24lbs in 2 months. GREAT job! Congrats!!!

Do you feel energized after lifting?
              Are you getting stronger in weight and reps everytime?

I'm assuming you gained some muscle too.

My guess is you should add some carbs after lifting. Fasting everyday isn't necessarily bad but eating something first thing might help you actually lose some weight. I mean, I've been eating 3 meals a day and fasting 24hrs/week and I'm losing weight steadily. But that's me. You gotta experiment with this. Sorry, I don't have definite answers for you.
              I feel pretty good after each workout. There are times every now and then where I feel drained. I am definitely getting stronger and I still feel really good.

I'll try adding a few more carbs on my lifting days as well as maybe fasting every other day.

I'll play around with it and I'm sure I'll find something that will work for me. I'll keep at it and get back here with the results.

Comment

Originally posted by Scros10 View Post
                I feel pretty good after each workout. There are times every now and then where I feel drained. I am definitely getting stronger and I still feel really good.

I'll try adding a few more carbs on my lifting days as well as maybe fasting every other day.

I'll play around with it and I'm sure I'll find something that will work for me. I'll keep at it and get back here with the results.
                Looking forward to hearing the update!

Comment

Move slowly, add some walks into your routine and find more time to play. Other than that great progress and routine.
                  Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                  PS
                  Don't forget to play!

Comment

Do things you like to do. Go for a walk daily, or do some chores. I've been known wash the car as a part of my move slowly for the week! Another tip is eat when you're hungry. Now I thought I was eating when I was hungry for a while, but it turned out I could wait another couple hours without feeling bad at all. I like the fact you're doing the fast til 12-2, as long as you feel good doing it. I know some people do better eating a ton of protein in the morning. I don't.

Comment

Scros10
                      It sounds as if you are doing fantastic!
                      Maybe this is just the way your body gets to it's optimum size (not weight)...I say it because lots of people who lose alot in the beginning and very little for the next few months.
                      I lost 15 pounds in the first two months going from 165 to 150 and at 5'8" that means I'm getting awfully close to my "ideal weight" In the last 4 months...at a virtual standstill weight wise, BUT, I've started IF - naturally as I just eat when I'm hungry, moving more (slowly), resting more and I am seeing different improvements - even thought my weight has stayed the same my measurements have changed - waist is down, jeans size is waaaay down (I went from a 10 to a 4/6) and everything just looks and feels better, you know?
                      Stay with it - try to take pleasure in the intangibles and maybe reduce weighing yourself to once weekly - or monthly?
                      Take the pressure off of the number on the scale and make sure you FEEL good.

good luck

forward
                      pbj
                      my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

Comment

Well, I promised I would come back and let you know how it was going. I started eating breakfast on a regular basis and it has definitely helped. I still feel awesome and it kicked off my weight loss again. I've dropped 5-6 pounds in about 3 weeks since adding back breakfast on a regular basis to take my total weight loss to over 30 pounds now. I still fast but mainly just on days I am running late to the office. It amazes me (dont know why anything amazes me with the PB anymore) that something as simple as adding in MORE food can help so much. Thanks to all for helping me out.

Comment

Nice to see that more food helped. I know that everyone is all into eating only when you're hungry. I don't entirely buy into that notion, especially if you have weight to lose or an unhealthy metabolism. I doubt that Grok wasn't an opportunist. If an easy meal presented itself, I doubt Grok would have passed it up because he wasn't hungry.

Opportunity!

Comment

Working...
                          X