Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home-made mayo

Hey,

About home-made mayo, I was thinking about the idea, but then I remembered.. I need to use raw eggs for that.
    Isn't that quite risky? salmonella, bird flu (in my country some chickens had it, they were killed.. but you can never know).

Is there anything I can do about it? like heating the mayo up or something then cooling it again?

I believe you can temper (?) the eggs if you're really concerned, but you probably don't need to worry about it. Which country are you in?
    carl's cave

Comment

Originally posted by Drlove View Post
      Hey,

About home-made mayo, I was thinking about the idea, but then I remembered.. I need to use raw eggs for that.
      Isn't that quite risky?
      In a word..no. The risk is extremely small.

Comment

Well, In israel here our ministry of health has instructed us to avoid eating eggs when the yolk is still mushy, I'm not even talking raw.
        I don't know if I should take the risk of bird flu and Salmonella just for some bloody mayo. Will tempering it do the trick, or will it ruin the mayo?

Comment

The best thing you can do for your health is to stop listening to your government.

Comment

Where do you get your eggs from? If you know where they are coming from and they are being raised correctly that you can see, I wouldnt be concerned. You can pasteurize the yolks if you want but that sometimes makes it harder to make the mayo.

I don't think I'd eat raw conventional egg yolks.. although before I went primal I did it for years and never had a problem.
            Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Hardwarehank View Post
              The best thing you can do for your health is to stop listening to your government.
              that right there is an awesome quote!

unless you are getting eggs from feedlots where the chickens are on top of each other and swimming in their own poop...the eats will be perfectly fine to eat raw.
              http://myquest4happiness.blogspot.com/
              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread48307.html (journal)

Comment

Well, I don't think it's complete conventional feedlots, because those eggs are organic.. but I'm still skeptic.
                If it was only the salmonella risk, which is usually extremely small, especially when the eggs are high quality ones, then maybe.
                But I'm talking about bird flu here.

Comment

find a better place to get eggs then, one that doesn't just slap labels on the carton. find a local supplier that cares for his chickens.
                  http://myquest4happiness.blogspot.com/
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread48307.html (journal)

Comment

I don't eat store-bought eggs raw. But we also get pastured eggs from a guy we know who raises just a few hens - I'll eat those raw in a heartbeat. If you know and trust your source, it's no problem. If you don't, I wouldn't risk it.

Comment

I've never had a problem with my family making homemade mayo and this was in Peru. I'm sure it's much better than buying commercial one.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardwarehank View Post
                        Can I get an AMEN to this one! (And for most things, add your doctor to the statement.)

Comment

The recipe I use calls for Apple Cider Vinegar. I was under the impression that this was assisting in keeping it safe? No?

Comment

you can use cooked egg yolk (from hard boiled eggs) to make mayo if you prefer.

Same process, but you have to push the yolk through a very fine sieve to get it really soft and smooth -- and then add the oil/vinegar and emulsify.

Comment

I thought of boiling the eggs for a pretty short while, creating "soft" boiled eggs, is that what you meant?

And I do wonder about the vinegar, though I don't think it'll make it that safe if the bacteria is already there.

Comment

Working...
                              X