Seasonal Allergy's Anti-histamine foods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seasonal Allergy's Anti-histamine foods

OK Spring appears to have sprung early this year in the Northeast. I'm sadly starting to feel some slight allergy symptoms.. so I think its time to start honing in on foods that can help alleviate them more then just eating primal...

I found this:
    Healthy Eating: Anti-histamine Foods - JPost - Health & Science

I actually think that fruit makes my allergies worse (I had a ton of cut strawberries yesterday which is why I'm sure I had a slight sinus headache..) But this might just be me. Since I felt this I dropped carbs from Noon until.. probably tonight. I'm going to try and stay away from fruit that seems to give me allergy symptoms Also only having starchy carbs at dinner...

I'm thinking of trying lemon/ginger tea and sunflower seeds though. Anyone else have tips?
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Another article..

Carrots, spinach, mangoes, tomatoes, and other green vegetables are high in vitamin A and can be a very valid option to eat as an antihistamine. Fruits, especially citrus fruits like oranges, are high in vitamin C and can be used as an antihistamine as well. Salmon and walnuts along with some meats can be high in Omega-3 which makes a good antihistamine. Some foods are high in Quercetin and Pycnogenol which can help block the release of histamine by cells. These foods include broccoli, citrus fruits, berries, onions, garlic, and apples. Bromelian is an enzyme found in pineapples that is considered by many to be the best natural antihistamine.

These foods that have antihistamine properties slow down the release of histamine to help with allergic reactions. Fruits and vegetables are not only good for you but are good for helping with allergies. Instead of taking a pill for a mild allergic reaction, you could eat an apple or orange. Rather than taking an antihistamine nasal spray, a person could have some steamed broccoli. There are so many fruits, vegetables and berries to choose from.

===
    Lucky as primals we eat so many vegetables!
    Primal since March 2011

Comment

I'm also going to try and get my hands on some more local honey and eat a little bit daily..
      Primal since March 2011

Comment

I found local honey helped my symptoms last year.

I find that first article a bit iffy. Citrus is very histamine-promoting - this outweighs the effect of vitamin C. That's why it's used as a traditional cold remedy, to get the mucous flowing. Berries are also histamine promoting. Red wine is extremely high in histamine.

Pineapple's a good one to try. It's one of the few fruits I ever eat. Also garlic, and the onion family in general.

Red onions are the only food I know of that contain significant amounts of quercetin to have a noticable anti-histamine effect. Coffee and green tea are also quite powerful anti-histamines. Black tea is high in histamine because it's fermented.

Any fermented foods, sardines, mackeral, smoked fish, hard cheeses are all high in histamine. Fresh salmon is quite beneficial as an antihistamine due to its high omega 3 content. But make sure it is fresh.

Spinach and tomato are histamine-promoting.

That's a distillation of my knowledge and experience.

I find I have much more energy eating a low histamine diet as it helps stabilise my blood pressure, which can dip quite low during a histamine attack. Before I started this, I had chronic non-allergic rhinitis all year round, peaking at 3pm each day, and hayfever in the early spring only, i.e. I only react to tree pollen.
        F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
          I found local honey helped my symptoms last year.

I find that first article a bit iffy. Citrus is very histamine-promoting - this outweighs the effect of vitamin C. That's why it's used as a traditional cold remedy, to get the mucous flowing. Berries are also histamine promoting. Red wine is extremely high in histamine.

Pineapple's a good one to try. It's one of the few fruits I ever eat. Also garlic, and the onion family in general.

Red onions are the only food I know of that contain significant amounts of quercetin to have a noticable anti-histamine effect. Coffee and green tea are also quite powerful anti-histamines. Black tea is high in histamine because it's fermented.

Any fermented foods, sardines, mackeral, smoked fish, hard cheeses are all high in histamine. Fresh salmon is quite beneficial as an antihistamine due to its high omega 3 content. But make sure it is fresh.

Spinach and tomato are histamine-promoting.

That's a distillation of my knowledge and experience.

I find I have much more energy eating a low histamine diet as it helps stabilise my blood pressure, which can dip quite low during a histamine attack. Before I started this, I had chronic non-allergic rhinitis all year round, peaking at 3pm each day, and hayfever in the early spring only, i.e. I only react to tree pollen.
          Yeah further research shows that the foods that they thought would help actually have histamine in them! I know apples/strawberries/tomatoes def produce a histamine response. I have the Oral Allergy Syndrome. It is 100X worse on CUT fruit. I do much better eating it whole or cut 2 seconds ago..

Dairy is also terrible for my allergies.. which is why I limit to just some raw milk aged cheddar.

I have really bad tree pollen allergies, dust allergies, dust mites, and a VERY minor cat hair allergy (and I have 2 cats). I'm certainly a lot better then I was but I want to get even better....
          Primal since March 2011

Comment

Originally posted by activia View Post
            Yeah further research shows that the foods that they thought would help actually have histamine in them! I know apples/strawberries/tomatoes def produce a histamine response. I have the Oral Allergy Syndrome. It is 100X worse on CUT fruit. I do much better eating it whole or cut 2 seconds ago..

Dairy is also terrible for my allergies.. which is why I limit to just some raw milk aged cheddar.

I have really bad tree pollen allergies, dust allergies, dust mites, and a VERY minor cat hair allergy (and I have 2 cats). I'm certainly a lot better then I was but I want to get even better....
            I've made such good progress that I can tolerate goat's cheddar now in reasonable quantity. It's not so aged as cow's cheddar and has a sweeter taste. I've also reintroduced prawns. I can still get quite a strong reaction to chilli but it varies. Apart from that I'm still quite strict. I was avoiding asparagus, but seem OK with that now.

I'm eating 1-2 red onions a day. I recommend you check out quercetin supplements.

Eating food as fresh as possible is really important. Also, avoiding high histamine foods at breakfast and lunch is paramount. During the evening this is less important when eating quite late, as I usually do - these foods can actually help me sleep. So I usually eat fish in my evening meal. Eating fish at lunchtime can induce drowsiness and tends to make me nap when I do that on a non-work day.
            F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

what about sprouts? do they produce histamines? they are my main srouce of vegetables along with sweet potatoes
              If man made it, don't eat it

Comment

Originally posted by huntingBears View Post
                what about sprouts? do they produce histamines? they are my main srouce of vegetables along with sweet potatoes
                I'm not sure - I don't recall seeing them on a list of vegetables to avoid. I don't like sprouts. There's a very strong-tasting chemical in them which makes me feel nauseous. I don't eat cabbage very often as it makes me very gassy.

Comment

Originally posted by activia View Post
                  This has been my realization of late, and it's a real bummer. I love dairy. But it makes me snarfly. And that makes me sad.
                  Steph
                  My Primal Meanderings

Comment

I, too, have heard that local honey is one of the best anti-springtime allergy cures, but since I rarely get seasonal allergies, I can't vouch from personal experience.

Comment

Originally posted by BestBetter View Post
                      I, too, have heard that local honey is one of the best anti-springtime allergy cures, but since I rarely get seasonal allergies, I can't vouch from personal experience.
                      I'm not a local to my area, and my hayfever only got bad after a few years of living here. It was barely noticable before. Others who've moved into the area have found the same. I buy a honey from hives a few miles from where I work. I have a new jar lined up to start taking with apple cider vinegar soon. It's worth a shot as it has plenty of other immune-system-boosting benefits.

Honey works really well in sauces for salmon.

Comment

Paleo-bunny, I am having an extremely difficult time right now reacting to histamine foods. I can't eat fish, ground lamb, pork, grassfed beef or elk and I can't eat ripe fruits. Apples are supposed to be ok, but I just had a reaction to a few spoonfuls of organic apple sauce. I've had to cut out all of my foods and start from scratch. So far I am eating turkey, potato, rice, oats, peas, carrots, pears and cabbage every day...UGH! I'm so bummed, especially to be relying on carbs and no omega3! If you could add five new foods to my list that work for you what might they be? I really need ideas on what to try next...

Anyone have to go through an elimination diet for histamine intolerance? What foods could you easily tolerate, please? (still trying to get an appointment set up with my naturopath, would love quick ideas in the meantime, thanks)

Comment

Hi Goldstar. You might be OK with fresh fish. e.g. a whole fresh sea bass or trout. I can tolerate salmon and trout fillets well now. I don't know what the histamine content of fish oil capsules is like - I would have thought lower. You need to avoid sardines, mackeral, prawns, smoked fish. But don't eat fish as leftovers. You will have a stronger reaction to it if you eat a portions thats been in the fridge for a day.

When I started out I ate a lot of white rice, butter, sweet potatoes, red onions, soft fresh goats cheese, eggs, green leafy salads, courgettes, spring onions, leeks, fresh herbs, garlic. I cut out fish completely for a couple of weeks and gradually upped my intake. I recommend you take quercetin supplements.

You have to ascertain what your level of histamine intolerance is. Mine is improving all the time as my gut continues to heal. I've found the worst thing for my gut health is foods high in omega 6. I recommend using butter and coconut oil for fat. I've noticed huge improvements in my histamine tolerance since I took up coconut oil and cut back on my olive oil intake a few months back. I even ate some mussels without any reaction a few weeks ago

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply, paleo-bunny. Yes, butter and cream cheese is all I can use for fats, I couldn't tolerate my krill oil pills. I tried scrambled eggs once and they seemed ok, then I tried boiled eggs and they weren't. Guess I have to eat super fresh for a while. I will try the goat cheese, salads and red onions as well as the quercitin, all great ideas.

I got this histamine problem suddenly after a cold and at my last visit to my ND he told me it's possible for the cold virus to disrupt gut bacteria. I made the mistake of eating alot of gluten free english muffins with yeast in them, too, because I wasn't hungry for anything else besides homemade chicken broth. I later found out yeast is extremely high in histamines. I think healing the gut is important because a good deal of the DAO enzyme we have to break down histamines is in the mucosal lining of the small intestines. I had leaky gut/IBS problems over a year ago and fixed it with L-glutamine and eating primal. I highly recommend L-glutamine powder daily for a while, it does wonders to help heal the intestinal lining quicker. I am doing that again right now.

Glad to hear you are getting better.

BTW, what do you use for dressing on your salads, please?
                            Last edited by Goldstar; 03-24-2012, 09:19 AM.

Comment

I've had problems with yeast infections, atopy and seasonal allergies, as well as histamine dysregulation and body clock disorders. One aspect comes from my Dad's genes, the other from my Mum's.

For salad dressings, I use a little EVOO and apple cider vinegar. Sometimes I don't bother with dressing. I've become doubtful about the alleged anti-inflammatory properties of EVOO. But a little in a dressing once a day is probably OK. Salad leaves l recommend are rocket (rucola), watercress, red chard, lamb's lettuce. Avoid spinach.

I recommend you eat coconut oil too. It's great for frying sweet potato chips.

Sorry there are no low histamine meats I can recommend as I don't eat meat - I'm a pescatarian. I believe chicken and pork are the worst for inflammation and histamine, and obviously any cured meats are out. Perhaps something like fresh game would be suitable. It's going to be a shock to your system to cut out meat entirely. On the other hand you need to prevent your gut environment become too acidic so you do need to eat plenty of fresh vegetables and perhaps some fruit if you tolerate it.

Breakfast: I recommend an omelette fried in butter or coconut oil, with fresh parsley or coriander and red onion (fry the red onion first). Also leeks are good, or small pieces of courgette. And a bit of soft goat's cheese too rounds it off nicely.

Lunch - Baked or microwaved sweet potato with butter and soft cheese, with a green leaf salad with spring onion.
                              Alternatively a big salad with fried sweet potatoes or butternut squash, and other fried vegetables thrown in with feta cheese (if you can handle that). I'd avoid any raw veg other than salad leaves, fresh herbs and spring onions.

Dinner- This is the time to have your fish or meat, and carbs (white rice or more sweet potato) and plenty of vegetables with moderate fat. I usually have traditional risottos or oriental stir-fry dishes with rice noodles or white rice. Avoid bottled sauces. Flavour with fresh garlic, spring onions, fresh or ground ginger, fresh coriander. Use butter of coconut oil for frying.

You need to look at how you are exercising too. You may find that even low level cardio can cause histamine release. A giveaway is a beetroot-red face afterwards. I'd had that since childhood. Now it's gone completely (I only do low level, with a few sprints). You're best off doing your exercise during the evening . Histamine will help you sleep. During the day it will make you feel drowsy. That was one of the problems I had.

In hindsight (I've been eating low histamine since May last year), I would have cut back on EVOO sooner and replaced it with coconut oil.
                              I'm not sure whether white potatoes are OK. I'm sensitive to deadly nightshade so I only eat white potatoes about once a week when I eat out.
                              Other veg that should be OK: fennel (good for detox and the liver). I'm sure there other veg but it's difficult to make recommendations when I don't know what's available to you.
                              When you have gut problems there's the gut/brain axis to consider, as activia points out, but also the liver, as it plays a key role in the immune system and detoxification.

Anyway, do you have any symptoms other than IBS?

Comment

Working...
                              X