No announcement yet.

What to eat before strength training ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to eat before strength training ?

I am already very lean at around 6-7 % body fat. So I don't need to burn the stored fat for fuel. What do you normally eat before a weight lifting session ? I am not talking about isolation exercises, I do very heavy compound lifts.

Thanks

Originally posted by AliLeo View Post
    I am already very lean at around 6-7 % body fat. So I don't need to burn the stored fat for fuel. What do you normally eat before a weight lifting session ? I am not talking about isolation exercises, I do very heavy compound lifts.

Thanks
    Nothing. Weight lifting should be about burning off the glycogen stored in the muscles.

Comment

Originally posted by js290 View Post
      Nothing. Weight lifting should be about burning off the glycogen stored in the muscles.
      It depends on the goals, actually. If we're talking strictly glycogen stores, that's one thing. But, if we're talking about strength training (muscle fibers), that's another.
      If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

So no muscle will be lost if I burn the glycogen then replenish it post workout ?

Comment

Originally posted by AliLeo View Post
          So no muscle will be lost if I burn the glycogen then replenish it post workout ?
          Nope. But, remember 80% of the composition is tied to diet. Supplement your lifting regimen with adequate protein.
          If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

I usually eat either nothing or some type of fruit. I would avoid fatty foods pre-workout.

Comment

My 2 cents: I am currently doing Starting Strength type workouts; pretty heavy lifting and for the last two weeks i have been working out in a fasted state. My strength has continued to go through the roof. I feel stronger, lighter, and more explosive. I eat dinner the night before and then workout around 930 in the morn. Focus has increased and no loss in energy levels at all.

Comment

Try some BCAA or a quick protein shake to get your muscles firing and in preparation for the repair they'll be doing after your session.

Comment

Starving. Check out Arthur De Vany's stuff.

Comment

After trying to figure out what was best for me before my strength training I found I work better in a fasted state.

Comment

I lift fasted and eat right after in the gym. Usually some kind of protein on salad. Takes 10 minutes and kicks in by the time I get home or to work.

Comment

i always take in some for of lean protein and some form of carbs pre workout. nothing fatty though. i can't and could never lift heavy or do any HIT workouts in a fasted state. i'm not able to give 100% unless if have some protein and carbs

Comment

i heard they suggest eating/drinking something sweet and milky, for sugar and proteins absorption. Don't know whether this is true or not.

Comment

Originally posted by aikidochris View Post
                            Try some BCAA or a quick protein shake to get your muscles firing and in preparation for the repair they'll be doing after your session.
                            +1
                            “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Working...
                            X