No announcement yet.

Planning a fast~ anyone interested?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm really looking forward to this fast~ had steak and salad last night for dinner~ it didn't sit right, it's usually my no problemo meal but instead, I had heartburn all night. Something is out of whack. I really need this break from food. Only 2 more days!

Comment

I often do a 4-6 hour eating window, or 24 hr dinner-to-dinner fasts, with an occasional 40 hour fast here and there. I love it, and I never have hunger issues, so I recently decided to do a longer (week+) water only fast to try to deal with some digestive problems. I had to break my fast around the 56 hour mark, not from hunger (wasn't hungry at all) but because my already low blood pressure and pulse dropped lower - my pulse went into the 40s with arrythmias. I even tried drinking broth with himalyan salt and minerals added, thinking it might be an electrolyte issue - no improvement. A few minutes after having a smoothie with coconut oil, banana, molasses, and almond milk all my vitals normalized. I tried to resume the fast the next day, same problem.

I really love the idea of fasting, but I just don't know enough about which signs and symptoms are dangerous and which aren't, and I wouldn't know what to do if I had the same problem (besides obviously breaking the fast). So, I'd love to join, but unfortunately I think my body would conspire against me again if I tried!

Good luck with your fast!

Comment

Originally posted by BestBetter View Post
        I often do a 4-6 hour eating window, or 24 hr dinner-to-dinner fasts, with an occasional 40 hour fast here and there. I love it, and I never have hunger issues, so I recently decided to do a longer (week+) water only fast to try to deal with some digestive problems. I had to break my fast around the 56 hour mark, not from hunger (wasn't hungry at all) but because my already low blood pressure and pulse dropped lower - my pulse went into the 40s with arrythmias. I even tried drinking broth with himalyan salt and minerals added, thinking it might be an electrolyte issue - no improvement. A few minutes after having a smoothie with coconut oil, banana, molasses, and almond milk all my vitals normalized. I tried to resume the fast the next day, same problem.

I really love the idea of fasting, but I just don't know enough about which signs and symptoms are dangerous and which aren't, and I wouldn't know what to do if I had the same problem (besides obviously breaking the fast). So, I'd love to join, but unfortunately I think my body would conspire against me again if I tried!

Good luck with your fast!
        I think you've already found your best time/length fast~ seems like 40 hours works well for you. Believe me, if I had anything happen like you did, I'd be breaking the fast immediately too! After all, part of this whole thing is learning to listen to your body~ sounds like yours has made it's preferences loud and clear!

Comment

First 24 hours done. I made it through yesterday without too much trouble, just a slight headache, but that might have been from the lack of caffeine as much as anything. I had three eggs in the morning before starting. From 9AM on, I had two cups of tea, two cups of chicken stock and lots of water. The chicken stock really helped get over the feeling hungry. I even survived a movie theater full of stinky popcorn!

This morning I feel pretty good, not really hungry. Having some ginger tea now instead of coffee.

Comment

the ideal kick start for me on a "big" fast (48 or more hours) is simply 1kg (2.2lbs) of beef mince (20%fat minimum) cooked in any way (meatloaf,burgers,or just plain with some herbs) after eating that I find hunger is non existent for days.

a large high fat high protein meal is a must IMO before a big fast.
            "Today’s technological age is enjoyed by the fattest, laziest humans in the history of humanity." -Mark Sisson

Comment

Well I ended up at about 34 hours. We had friends invite us for dinner and cards and I didn't really want to explain, so I ended early. Have to say that even though I didn't go as long as intended, I still feel pretty good, and wasn't really hungry too much. I will probably give it a go again in a week or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Ang View Post
                Well I ended up at about 34 hours. We had friends invite us for dinner and cards and I didn't really want to explain, so I ended early. Have to say that even though I didn't go as long as intended, I still feel pretty good, and wasn't really hungry too much. I will probably give it a go again in a week or so.
                I hope you weren't too disappointed~ maybe think of this as a trial run? I'm still planning on starting tomorrow~ really looking forward to this fast~ haven't been able to get into the mindset for quite awhile and IFing hasn't addressed some of the 'bad habits' I've developed lately

Comment

I hate to say this - I sincerely do! but I need to back out. All weekend I knew that something wasn't quite right, but didn't know what. Figured it out today between various appts. My shingles is back - and it's starting to hurt (thankfully not nearly as bad as the first time) and I'm having to take a ton of medicine...don't want to take this on an empty stomach.
                  I'll read along and try as soon as I'm through this. The first time took over a month...

Comment

Originally posted by wren View Post
                    I hate to say this - I sincerely do! but I need to back out. All weekend I knew that something wasn't quite right, but didn't know what. Figured it out today between various appts. My shingles is back - and it's starting to hurt (thankfully not nearly as bad as the first time) and I'm having to take a ton of medicine...don't want to take this on an empty stomach.
                    I'll read along and try as soon as I'm through this. The first time took over a month...
                    Oh ouch! take your medicine and heal~ there will always be time to fast~

Comment

Originally posted by Nady View Post
                      Yes, I had chronic eczema.
                      Thats really interesting! Did it completely go away for ever or more temorarily for the time being and got back later?

I as many others here also do IFs but never longer then 30H once in a while, would really like to try out a 5 day fast, see if that helps my acne problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Nady View Post
                        It took 3 days to quit smoking~ that was 15 years ago! But I still have absolutely no desire to smoke~ even when around smokers.
                        Wow that is awesome to. Would you mind giving some back story to that one? Like how long had you smoked for before, had you tried to quit before, how hard was it to not smoke during the fast compared to when youve tried to quit before when not fasting (that is if that was not your first time trying to quit).

Because thing is I have a drug addiction which im currently getting under control but im looking for that last thing to completely quit and STAY THAT WAY. I have "quit" many times but after every time that desire have always been there so have been to easy to slip back.

Comment

Originally posted by jimpag View Post
                          Thats really interesting! Did it completely go away for ever or more temorarily for the time being and got back later?

I as many others here also do IFs but never longer then 30H once in a while, would really like to try out a 5 day fast, see if that helps my acne problems.
                          As long as I don't eat grains, my skin is clear~ no eczema. But if I eat anything~ like a cookie, or one of those great cheese biscuits at Red Lobster, I break out. I'm still intolerant~ after 20 or so years, I don't think that's going to change.

Originally posted by jimpag View Post
                          Wow that is awesome to. Would you mind giving some back story to that one? Like how long had you smoked for before, had you tried to quit before, how hard was it to not smoke during the fast compared to when youve tried to quit before when not fasting (that is if that was not your first time trying to quit).

Because thing is I have a drug addiction which im currently getting under control but im looking for that last thing to completely quit and STAY THAT WAY. I have "quit" many times but after every time that desire have always been there so have been to easy to slip back.
                          I smoked 2 or more packs of cigarettes a day for 28 years. I had quit before but had a lot of stress issues at the time and started overeating instead. I ended up smoking again less than 6 months later. This last time, I did a 3 day fast (no smoking from day 1) and on the third day, I knew my system was clear of the nicotine. Then came the hard part~ breaking all the hand-to-mouth habits without using food. I kept a glass of ice water close by at all times and when I reached out for that cig, I took few sips of water instead~ I actually managed to not gain any weight! But you know, it was 6 months before I could get in my car without automatically opening the ashtray!

I don't know if fasting will help you with whatever issue you're working on, I only know that it can get your system cleared faster than any other way~ the rest of it is in your head. You must truly want to put your weakness behind you or you will always be mentally fighting the the urge.

Comment

I am going to try this - I wish I had seen it earlier! I have never fasted before, so I am probably not going to try 5 days, but I will start today. I have two questions. One is that I take 2 T of fish oil each day. That helps when I take supplements and medicine that I shouldn't take on an empty stomach. How much of a problem would that be? The other question is that I am hooked on having my two cups of coffee a day with coconut oil. That oil also helps prevent me getting sick when I take my morning pills (I am on a heavy duty B-12 protocol and I would throw it up if there isn't something in my stomach).

So...hmm, is there such a thing as an oil fast? Or is that just pointless?

Comment

Every monday through friday I only eat a nice big dinner...

Black coffee tea water and seltzer all day though.

Comment

Originally posted by BygoneCat View Post
                                I am going to try this - I wish I had seen it earlier! I have never fasted before, so I am probably not going to try 5 days, but I will start today. I have two questions. One is that I take 2 T of fish oil each day. That helps when I take supplements and medicine that I shouldn't take on an empty stomach. How much of a problem would that be? The other question is that I am hooked on having my two cups of coffee a day with coconut oil. That oil also helps prevent me getting sick when I take my morning pills (I am on a heavy duty B-12 protocol and I would throw it up if there isn't something in my stomach).

So...hmm, is there such a thing as an oil fast? Or is that just pointless?
                                I take all of my vitamins same as when I'm not fasting. I know there are those that disagree, but if I skip the B's or minerals, I have problems. I don't know why a little oil would be a problem~ it's not like it causes an insulin spike or anything~ as far as the coffee, I love mine too~ but today, I'm going to drink tea

Maybe just do the best fast you can and remember that food that requires hours of processing is what you want to avoid~ I think if a juice fast is considered therapeutic, there isn't anything wrong with taking the small amount of oil you need for your meds.

Comment

Working...
                                X