Highly disappointed in Trader Joes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highly disappointed in Trader Joes

I went to Trader Joe's for the first time today, thinking it was going to be a haven in the sense of finding all kinds of primal yumminess. I found almost nothing there. I was looking at the labels, the salami has added sugars and such. the "uncured no nitrites or nitrates" bacon had sugar in it. the "organic" eggs are not farm raised, their "free range" which if you read marks book, you know pretty much means nothing. I was simply unimpressed with everything I saw there.
    Taking life one day at a time.

I agree that Trader Joe's meats and eggs are not ideal. They are, however, better than the supermarket. I don't buy my meats, eggs, or dairy from there. I do buy organic fruits and veggies, and they have a decent selection of organic frozen fruits and vegetables. The prices are pretty good too. It's like everything else, you have to look closely and read the labels. I can also buy some packaged foods that, although not what I would consider healthy, do pass as junk food for my kids, and they're happy. It keeps them out of McDonald's-and that's a start. It is a place where you can get some quick items if you are in a hurry, or forgot that important ingredient at the farmer's market.
    Keep going, look and read. You will find some good food and some good prices.

Comment

I never find much at trader joe's either. I'm not sure if it is just because the one near me is small - but it has tons of packaged food items and a small produce section. The meat choice is terrible. I have heard good things about the frozen seafood so I may try that. They have lots of dairy - but I don't eat dairy. I almost never go there anymore.
      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Hands down, they have the best price I can find on Kerrygold butter. That alone is worth the trip for me, but I usually end up with a few other things also.

Comment

They have good prices on kerrygold, coconut oil, cheese, nuts and wine. Other than that ....overrated, but I do get a half cow at a time for my meat so that only leaves some veggies, and my meat already processed those into real food for me

Comment

It's just one stop out of 3-4 stores my wife visits while grocery shopping. (she's so sweet)

On her list there is...

Frozen Wild Blueberries
            Kerrygold Butter
            85% Dark Chocolate
            Coconut Oil
            Herbal Teas

We have better sources for meat/eggs/veggies etc..., but TJ's is great for the items listed above.

Comment

I used to think the frozen fish were a ripoff, but a lot of it is actually wild-caught, which makes them really good deals if you compare them to Whole Foods or even Costco.

I am lucky that the produce store I shop at is nearby a TJ's, so after I get my fresh produce, I go in to get:

- frozen blueberries
              - butter
              - frozen spinach
              - frozen cod
              - cheese
              My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

I stopped thinking highly of Trader Joe's, a long time ago. The produce selection is a joke, IMO. I do like their meat section, however. But, it's a inconvenient trip, for me. I save time, by going to Whole Food's, since it's closer.
                If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

Need to go to Trader Joe's today. On my list:
                  Frozen hashbrowns, which are nothing except potatoes
                  Frozen shrimp
                  Thai chili-lime cashews
                  Real cultured, full-fat sour cream
                  Real full-fat greek yogurt
                  Various varieties of pre-made sauces which have no non-primal ingredients in them and are perfect for mixing with my grass-fed meat and veggies for nearly instant meals
                  Pre-bagged, pre-washed organic kale (Which is the only way I can get myself to eat kale; I hate washing and tearing up kale!)

Comment

For me, TJ's is a god send. I can not afford the upscale grocery (Harris Teeter), and can't deal with the filth of a Food Lion. I get my meat at the Farmers Market. I agree, TJ's does not have much grass fed, but nor does anywhere else around me.

Eggs are hard to find true pastured except for the Farmers Market- those cost a pretty penny and often sell out. No other grocer (except perhaps whole foods or earth fare) carry genuine pastured eggs. TJ's organic ones are the least expensive in my area.

The produce is hit or miss, the same quality as Harris Teeter and 15%-20% cheaper, better than Food Lion. Sometimes they have amazing items- the best heirloom oranges at times. Avocados are about half off the Teeter, and they have things like today- red peppers for $.69. Yeah, they need to be used in the next day or two, but considering I have paid $2.99 for a red pepper elsewhere...

It is what it is- a lower priced alternative to upscale grocers. The quality is not always there, but generally comes close. I paid $12 a pound for pastured bacon at the farmers market, I don't expect $5 a lb. bacon to be of the same quality.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

TJ is KILLING me right now ..

they are changing their supplier for coconut oil because the old one cant keep up with the demand .. this kills me because i love that coconut oil especially because its affordable .. and i CANT FIND ANY! they dont expect it for a couple months, and at my local store (we only have 1) they only get 1 case per shipment and cant order ..

id buy a damn case if i could.. if anyone can get me some let me know!

ETA - Kerry Gold was up .20 a 1/2lb when I went yesterday... still cheaper than other places but now $2.99 here
                      started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                        I used to think the frozen fish were a ripoff, but a lot of it is actually wild-caught, which makes them really good deals if you compare them to Whole Foods or even Costco.

I am lucky that the produce store I shop at is nearby a TJ's, so after I get my fresh produce, I go in to get:

- frozen blueberries
                        - butter
                        - frozen spinach
                        - frozen cod
                        - cheese
                        I agree with the gist of the OP's comments, but I would like to second the comment that it is an excellent source of cheap wild caught frozen fish. The selection is seasonal, but I have bought tons of their salmon, cod and turbot. And by the way, turbot, a cold water fish is the least "fishy" fish I've ever eaten.

Other things I buy at TJ's, Turkey Bacon, goat yogurt, goat cheese, frozen veggies, wine, cacao bars, occasional fresh fruits.

I do NOT like their selection of fresh meats. I buy all my meat from local farmers, or the grass fed section at Whole Foods.

Comment

Originally posted by dbalch View Post
                          I agree with the gist of the OP's comments, but I would like to second the comment that it is an excellent source of cheap wild caught frozen fish. The selection is seasonal, but I have bought tons of their salmon, cod and turbot. And by the way, turbot, a cold water fish is the least "fishy" fish I've ever eaten.

Other things I buy at TJ's, Turkey Bacon, goat yogurt, goat cheese, frozen veggies, wine, cacao bars, occasional fresh fruits.

I do NOT like their selection of fresh meats. I buy all my meat from local farmers, or the grass fed section at Whole Foods.
                          +1
                          Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

One of my local TJs has free range organic roasting chickens, the other doesn't. I guess because one of them is a bigger store and in a higher income part of town. I try not to go on Saturdays, but I think I need to go check on the Coconut oil situation!

Comment

Coconut milk
                              Coconut oil
                              Almond milk
                              Nuts
                              Red wine
                              Frozen seafood (shrimp and some fish)
                              Butter
                              Organic broccoli, brussels sprouts, green onions, and some others...
                              The prices are great for the quality. For meat, though, I go across the street to Whole Foods where they have the pasture-raised beef and wild-caught salmon. Joe is cool--just don't expect him to do it all!

Comment

Working...
                              X