How do we feel about Agave Nectar?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do we feel about Agave Nectar?

I found an ice cream called "coconut bliss" (cappuccino flavor) and the ingredients are organic coconut milk, organic agave nectar, organic fair trade coffee & coffee beans and organic vanilla beans.

So I'm eating this anyway because it's delicious, buuuttt it raises the question of agave nectar in foods. How do we feel about this?
    An avocado a day keeps the doctor away!

to be avoided

Use local raw honey
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

It's just about as bad as HFCS
      Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

ouch! it's that bad? why's that?

Comment

Originally posted by activia View Post
          It's worse than HFCS
          Fixed that for you.

The big knock on HFCS is that is has a higher percentage of Fructose than Sucrose -- 55/45 for HFCS vs. 50/50 for Sucrose. Agave Nectar has an even HIGHER percentage of Fructose.
          Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
          Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

Comment

Woops! Well I will enjoy the sugar roller coaster while it lasts I suppose! It's actually a little frustrating how hard it is to actually know what's good for you and what isn't ... God I walk through the cookie isle and everything looks so healthy now a days! I feel bad for those who know even less than I do!

Comment

As Robb Wolf has said, agave should only be used to make tequila.
              My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

definitely crapola. i'd stick to raw honey, or hell, even regular sugar before i went to that stuff.

Comment

Ahh sooo annoying! When it first came out they made it sound like pure unicorn tears or something!

Comment

I still have that coconut chocolate energy bar sitting in my pantry, for this very reason. After finding out it was that terrible, I had to put an end to it. This was right after watching Dr. Oz's sham on how great Agave Nectar was.
                    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

I put it in my coffee and I dunno, doesn't seem to bother me.... I'm not under any impression it is healthy, but it does the trick to sweeten my coffee. I like it more than sugar or honey...

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                      Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

Three words. Stevia, stevia, stevia

Comment

Originally posted by dbalch View Post
                          Three words. Stevia, stevia, stevia
                          +1

Those who complain of bitterness or an aftertaste either use too much or use an inferior brand adulterated with fillers. Pure stevia powder is one mighty fine sweetener.

Comment

Stevia tastes like shit. Sugar/HFCS/Agave Nectar... all "sugar". None is better/worse than the other.
                            "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Martha View Post
                              +1

Those who complain of bitterness or an aftertaste either use too much or use an inferior brand adulterated with fillers. Pure stevia powder is one mighty fine sweetener.
                              I thought it was the opposite. I've tasted the real stevia leaf and it is quite bitter - like sweet tea. They have to do a lot of extracting and mucking around to get it all sweet and no bitter. I think it's only pure sweet when it's been highly processed.

Comment

Working...
                              X