Coffee makes me tired

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee makes me tired

Coffee makes me tired. I understand it works by stimulating your adrenal glands is that right?
    If so could this mean I have adrenal fatigue? Or is that a made up thing?
    I am incredibly tired all the time, I've yet to crack this diet, fatigue and better skin are my two main aims
    Could adrenal fatigue be holding me back?
    If man made it, don't eat it

No, it's just this diet. Honestly, I haven't been properly awake since I started. I don't think this works for me. :P

Comment

There are all types of revelations out there about coffee and all sorts of research on adrenal fatigue. I'd do a little more searching and compare your symptoms.

Honestly, if you think its the coffee drop it for a few weeks/months. See how you feel (after initial withdraw).
      Being tired all the time can be any number of things.
      Maybe try a whole30? Follow a strict, clean plan and maybe its what you need to reboost yourself.
      Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Comma View Post
        No, it's just this diet. Honestly, I haven't been properly awake since I started. I don't think this works for me. :P
        It's a template, adjust as necessary until you feel good. Understand that the beginning your body is in shock to the chagne.
        Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

i think adrenal fatigue would be the wrong word here, more like glucose exhaustion. sounds like you need some more carbs, your serotonin is down so your depressed which means your melatonin production is down so your not sleeping well. the brain and body runs on glucose unless your in ketosis in which case you have bigger problems than fatigue to worry about. btw i support paleo living and am not against a primal diet but i think some people take it to far with the low carb idea. try to include some more healthy carbs i personally recommend fruit.

Comment

I eat a sweet potato and an apple every day, as well as sprouts and spinach and the occasional seaweed
            My main concern here is the coffee making me feel tired, not perking me up like it's supposed to
            I spent a good many years very stressed and eating poorly so im worried i've messed up my adrenal system or whatever it is

Comment

Originally posted by huntingBears View Post
              I eat a sweet potato and an apple every day, as well as sprouts and spinach and the occasional seaweed
              My main concern here is the coffee making me feel tired, not perking me up like it's supposed to
              I spent a good many years very stressed and eating poorly so im worried i've messed up my adrenal system or whatever it is
              Sad to say the coffee could be making it worse. I have an adrenal condition but can't give it up yet. I agree with evertastica that you may just need to cut it out for at least 30 days to see. I did and felt much better--replaced it with herbal tea. But now I've backslid into drinking it again. And I feel more tired. Sigh. Makes me want a coffee. . . .

Comment

My situtation is a bit different from yours but may help. I was experiencing hairloss, mood swings, afternoon crashing so I gave up coffee last weekend. I noticed some hypothyroid/adrenal fatigue symptoms and was suspicious of stress/cortisol and all that science stuff that is floating around about coffee and possible effects of low carb lifestyles. After a week I have noticed some improvements. Also eating more starches has helped. Moving my average carb intake from 30-75g to 100-150g.

Comment

I just today read a post by Chris Kresser suggesting the people with wheat intolerance (which is apparently a LOT of us) will often react to coffee and a number of other food items as well. Do you have an known issue with wheat?
                  Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                    I just today read a post by Chris Kresser suggesting the people with wheat intolerance (which is apparently a LOT of us) will often react to coffee and a number of other food items as well. Do you have an known issue with wheat?
                    Im coeliac and havent eaten wheat, or other glutens for over 20 years, but coffee still makes me tired, so Im not sure that wheat could be the problem here. But as has been said before, everyone is different. Be so much easier if everyone reacted the same way to everything! lol
                    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

Comment

I'm not sure if I am allergic to wheat but I do get hayfever and am allergic to cats and dogs so maybe? I would sometimes get an itchy roof mouth which seems to have disappeared on primal and I was incredibly tired on CW diet (though still am very tired, hopefully still adapting) I spent a lot of years pretty stressed and I still do get stressed a bit now (though i try not to) but i think that's because i've not adapted to this diet yet
                      I do get very itchy still though, I only wash with water and wash my clothes with soap nuts but still very itchy, wish i knew why!!!

Comment

but yea i'm quitting the coffee and tea to see how i feel, cheers

Comment

I have extreme adrenal issues (horrible heart-pounding panic attacks over stupid everyday things, and basically housebound for 10 years due to severe anxiety) and coffee makes me tired too. The most it does to me (if I drink a ton) is make me feel wired and jittery while still exhausted. But I'm also finding out that I have milk issues (and I only drink coffee with milk), so it could be different things.

I think cutting out caffeine for a while is a good idea. When I switched to decaf I found that it made me feel more awake than regular-caf. I think it's mostly because of the psychological effect of "I'm drinking coffee so it's time to wake up" without the paradoxical sleepy-time physical effects.

Good luck.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Comment

May I throw my 2 in? Your fatigue may be due to iodine deficiency. Over at the "Iodine, Anyone?" thread we have explored many peoples symptoms. Including adrenal fatigue. People are finding out, once they have adequate iodine in their body, many symptoms of fatigue, et al. disappear.

When you come upon 'Grizz's' signature in a post, he has been summarizing the facts uncovered in that thread and also from the YAHOO IODINE SUPPORT GROUP. The thread is amazing and has grown quickly. The basic theory is we all need iodine, we all are low because it has been depleted from farm fields and enough of us live away from the sea and seafood. Also we all have toxins from our environment. Things likfluoridede, chloride, and bromide are taking up residence in our cells designed for the iodine. Iodine, is a halide like the other chemicals mentioned. So you just cannot supplement iodine without supplementing for the detox your body will put you through while replacing the bad chemicals/minerals with the good.

I really recommend the thread. We have some very active people researching the topic and posting.
                            Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
                            I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
                            Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
                            ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

Comment

I absolutely agree that people should take iodine and look into iodine deficiency symptoms. Coffee still makes me tired though and I take 50mg/day.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Comment

Working...
                              X