Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who all feels depressed eating like this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who all feels depressed eating like this?

I have been only doing this for two weeks, but I feel so depressed, I'm not sure what's going on and whether I can do this. I do not think it is carb flu. I haven't had any other carb flu symptoms (headaches) for a while, besides of being a bit tired and always sad. No cravings, no hunger. Blood sugar is well regulated, but since starting this I have felt mostly depressed, with one weird euphoric day where I was all jittery. I upped my carbs today with a piece of toast with honey because I have to keep it together for the kids. Not sure that will make a difference. Anyway, I just wanted to know:

Does anybody else feel persistently depressed on Paleo?

I did for years till I switched to intermittent fasting and started carb cycling- some days I eat up to 2,000 calories and others 1,000 or less & no carbs, just vegetables, butter and a little protein.

Comment

Maybe you need to add in more carbs and get some extra vitamin D and get some sunshine.

Comment

I get plenty of light. I was definitely not depressed before Paleo. I did somehting called Good Mood Diet and was just so happy every day. I really miss that. :P

Comment

This is a low carb symptom. I had this too even after months of eating low carb. I would up your carbs, but not with toast, use good healthy carbs (sweet potatoes, squash, pumpkin, fruit, root veggies). Have some higher carb days and some lower carb days. I'm happy all the time now. I eat between 75-100 most days, and one or two days a week even higher and occasionally lower.
          Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

You could also be dealing with the fact that you are feeling deprived of the old foods you loved. This can be handled by finding primal foods that you love, try new recipes!! Keep experimenting and make sure you indulge a little in primal stuff that you love. I can tell you over time you no longer will crave these old foods and feel this way about them.
            Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

I don't feel deprived one bit, I love the new foods much more than the old! That's the only reason I'm still sticking for this, in fact.

Comment

I been on it for almost a month and couldn’t be any happier ---energy off the roof--- my walks are the highlight of my days--- not only do I get to exercise I also get to meditate and do a little soul searching and strengthening my character--- I do not see myself ever going back to that cluster mess of a lifestyle I was living before---
                "If it is againts the law for a man to fend for himself ---then outlaw I am"

Comment

I feel very much up and down. There are days when I am just sad and hopeless, and then I feel really good. I don't think I feel deprived per se, but when I feel sad, I start poking the wound of not being able to eat fruit & make myself feel more unhappy because of it. I don't think for me it is starch or carb, it is sugar. Once I was sugar-free for a few weeks, my mood was very even. Then I had a big crash and ate fruit and honey, and now I am trying to clean up again, and keep getting the 'spells'. I figure another week or two of staying off sugars and sweeteners should do it.
                  My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                  When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

I will up the carbs. Thank you so much for the advise.

Comment

Dropping carbs too low definitely exacerbates depression for me. As was said above, try eating some clean primal carbs (not toast!) and see if that helps a little. If I keep some clean carbs in my diet and eat good quality paleo foods, I do well, but I also need to make sure I'm getting enough sunlight, sleep, and exercise along with it. Even CW advice for people with depressive conditions says that sleep, exercise, and sun exposure are essential parts of wellness. If you're busy with kids and other responsibilities, you might want to check in and see if you're taking enough time for self-care.
                      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

I think I felt better when I had some starch on the Good Mood diet.

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                          Dropping carbs too low definitely exacerbates depression for me. As was said above, try eating some clean primal carbs (not toast!) and see if that helps a little. If I keep some clean carbs in my diet and eat good quality paleo foods, I do well, but I also need to make sure I'm getting enough sunlight, sleep, and exercise along with it. Even CW advice for people with depressive conditions says that sleep, exercise, and sun exposure are essential parts of wellness. If you're busy with kids and other responsibilities, you might want to check in and see if you're taking enough time for self-care.
                          I was good before and besides of diet nothing has really changed, so must be the carbs?

Comment

Originally posted by Comma View Post
                            I was good before and besides of diet nothing has really changed, so must be the carbs?
                            If you felt fine eating carbs, dropped the carbs, and suddenly started feeling shitty then the smart bet is that you should be eating more primal carbs.
                            Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
                            CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

could be all the meat?

Comment

Working...
                              X