Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doesn't eating a lot of fat make you really tired?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doesn't eating a lot of fat make you really tired?

I know that when I try to up my fat intake, I just get extremely lethargic and want to pass out. I'm having a hard time getting my ratios down and figuring out ideal intake of food in general. Can anyone help me out?

Fat takes a lot of energy to digest, and will slow the digestion of carbohydrates. Carbohydrates will raise your insulin levels like no nothing else (especially high glycemic index ones) When a person's insulin levels are high, they can not utilize stored fat for energy as readily. They can, however use carbohydrates that have just been ingested. This leads to the common misconception that without carbohydrates, we wouldn't have any energy. In a culture where everyone eats cereal, bread, pasta, sugar, etc like it's going out of style, everyone has elevated insulin levels and nobody can have energy without their carb blasts.

my advice to you is to reduce carbs and increase fat even more, and maximize your nutrition, as many nutrients, namely b vitamins are needed for the metabolization of fat for energy, and all nutrients impact the functions of other ones in some way or another. After a week or two of this if it isn't working out, get a metabolic typing test (research metabolic typing). Some people, although not many, are just not cut out for low carb, high fat diets (as much as people around here deny it).

But when you say that you "try to eat more fat" that tells me that you still are getting a significant portion of your calories from carbohydrates, and your insulin levels are too high. Play around with it a little bit. Try 30% carbs then 20% carbs, then maybe 10% carbs if those aren't good. Give each one a few days starting with 30% first and moving downward.

Cheers.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Quite the opposite in fact. I have huge amounts of energy that i never had before eating Primal.

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
      Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
      I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

Comment

nope

but i can vaguely remember a time about 7-8 y ago when i changed to LCHF. and it took a few months for my body to swich over to using fats as fuel. so during that time i was tired. never after that.

challenge yourself
        i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Me neither!

I sometimes have a couple of eggs, cheese and a whole cup of cream for breakfast, never get tired.

Now, if I eat the same amount of calories using mainly carbs, I'll go back to bed

Comment

Katrina,

How long have you been eating primal? Could it be that you are just getting through the low carb transition blues? Wait a week or so for your body to re-learn how to properly run on fats. After that you should be fine.

guido

Comment

Not at all. Only a plate load of carbs make me sleepy. A big steak and salad or veggies never do.

Comment

YES! Please STOP this paleo psuedoscience nosnense

DOUGLAS GRAHAM RAW VEGAN

google him TONS OF ENERGY

Comment

Why no, eating fat doesn't make me tired. It's a good, stable source of energy and doesn't drive insulin.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
                  Current weight: 199
                  Goal: 145

Comment

Hmmm. Well...

I wouldn't say my energy is shooting through the roof with lotsa fat, but I don't feel tired, either.

I'm only 1 month into this.

Comment

Oh look, a CW troll in the comments.

In any case, no, I only get tired if I eat carbohydrates. Cut the carbs out and you shouldn't get tired - I'd imagine that with your high-fat meals you're having too many carbs.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

I find I don't have that after eating rush that I did when I had a carb-heavy diet (gee, wonder why) - but my overall energy level is very stable.

Comment

Good fats have made up 52% of my calories over the past 4 weeks. I'm 5 weeks into PB eating, and I've been a little disappointed in how lethargic I still get, quite easily -- same as when HC/LF. Although I started PB just as I was getting sick, which knocked me out for a good week plus, and I wasn't really able to kick laws 3-5 into gear until about a week ago.

So, hoping it's a matter of recovering from the sickness combined with taking a little while for the body to adjust to the change (I've heard adjustment ranges of 3 to 8 weeks) -- it's definitely too early for me to make an evaluation on the energy front. I *have* lost 15 of the 30 pounds targeted loss, which is enough to keep me psyched for a while! All I can say is CW and years of vegetarianism was not working (about 18 years of that; started eating fish a couple of years ago; and the first beef was yesterday; only regular dairy is whole milk plain kefir and homemade greek yogurt made with whole goat milk, and the occasional latte).

Plus I'm trying to be realistic about how much difference the diet is going to make (which seems to be fairly on target -- strict no grains or starchy veggies; minimal fruit; FitDay stats from the past 4 weeks show a daily average of 79g of carbs; protein may be a tad low at an average of 90g; I'm also under a lot of different stresses right now and struggle with laws 6, 7 & 8 -- which are also going to have an impact on energy levels I'm sure.

Please keep us posted on your progress -- would love to know how long it takes for you to see a change.

Comment

I think Nora Gedgaudas of Primal Body-Primal Mind stated that too much Protein could be tiring, as it takes a lot of energy to digest. But she reccomends moderate protein and high FAT. The fat is burned much more easily and doesn't cause that kind of fatigue.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
                            Current weight: 199
                            Goal: 145

Comment

Janet made me LOL. dingbat

I feel GREAT when I eat FAT!!! NO more food-induced carb comas.

Comment

Working...
                              X