What carb level are you at?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What carb level are you at?

I ate very low carb two years ago but just can't seem to do it again. I feel better around 100 grams a day but am not losing weight.

Will you share how you determined your carb level and how much weight you are losing at that level?

THANKS!!!!

If you feel better eating 100g carbs, then do so. Watch your caloric intake and your weight will go down as well, maybe not AS fast, but it will. I am coming from Atkins and I am SO glad to be eating more carbs because eating VLC makes me feel weak and mean all the time! Paelo recommends around 100 - 150 g carbs a day, so you're in a good rage. Keep the quality of your food high, watch your calories and the weight will come off (and you'll feel better doing it) !
    An avocado a day keeps the doctor away!

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

I feel better on low carb high fat. Trying to eat low calorie and 100g carbs has me starving, cranky and unhappy.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
          I feel better on low carb high fat. Trying to eat low calorie and 100g carbs has me starving, cranky and unhappy.
          I tend to fare better with this, but I'll eat half a cup of rice, on occasion. VLC, has seemingly worked for me. I don't track how many carbs I eat really, randomly tossing in vegetables into my plate; and those will satisfy me in one, or two, sittings. I just know, it's low carb, because I don't put in that many vegetables at a time.
          If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

I typically eat an apple and/or a grapefruit everyday and 3-4 cups of fiberous veggies (70-100g). Sometimes I also have a sweet potato (125g). Today I went higher carb and also had 1 cup of rice (measured uncooked), a sweet potato, and a grapefruit (250g).
            Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

I honestly never count, but I'm probably around 50-75 carbs to day. I don't eat alot in general.
              Started 9/5/11 at 212lb
              Last weigh in 12/10/11 at 188lb
              Goal: 160

Comment

How does one found out the amount of calories to eat a day for weight loss?
                I am 5'6 199 pounds, I work out 4-5 days a week various activities about an hour each session.
                I'm an active mom. My brain just can't seem to go low on the carbs anymore.
                I need to lose 40-50 pounds. I'm pretty muscular.
                I would appreciate your input. Thanks!

Comment

Depends on your activity level, I change it up depending on what I'm doing for the day. If I'm really active I'll hit between 100-150g, not do active day I keep it round 50g. Still getting all my carb intake from fruit/nuts etc.

Comment

You're getting carbs from nuts?
                    Primal since March 2011

Comment

Originally posted by uniquelymade View Post
                      I am 5'6 199 pounds, I work out 4-5 days a week various activities about an hour each session.
                      Honestly, just start tracking and drop 300 calories if you aren't losing after 2 weeks. Everyone's BMR is a little different. Try IF. have some very low calorie days, some moderate..and maybe 1 high calorie day a week.
                      Primal since March 2011

Comment

You don't need to go super low carb to lose, if your avoiding bread/rice/pasta etc and gettin your carbs from fruit n veg then you should feel fine and lose, try have your daily dose of carbs in the 1st part of the day stay clear late arvo and night
                        Sounds like your exercising heaps, you should definitely lose the weight you want!
                        Good job

Comment

I've no idea how to even count carbs! But I have a feeling it's pretty high-- banana (occasionally), fruits & veggies galore. No bread or grain carbs though and I don't miss 'em!

Comment

Originally posted by uniquelymade View Post
                            There are plenty of online calculators you could use to see your maintenance level of calories. Then you can subtract about 200-300 calories for slow and steady weight loss. Honestly, for an active person, I don't think 100g carbs is that much at all, particularly at your level of exercise. Don't compromise your protein intake and keep it to about 1.0g per lb of lean body mass. Then add in your carbs and then play around with your fat intake to make up the rest of your calories. If you just stay away from refined sugars, wheat and processed foods, you should be able to eat Primal carbs and still lose weight.

Try playing around with this Calculate Calories Needed for Goal Weight. Keep in mind calorie calculators are not really that accurate so use it just as a ballpark and then titrate your food intake until you find your optimal level for weight loss.

I am doing okay keeping my carbs at about 100g on days I don't exercise and about 150-200 g on days I exercise and I am a much smaller person than you (shorter). I just listen to my body and if I am feeling particularly hungry on a certain day because my workout was particularly long, I eat more carbs- and by that I mean starches like sweet potato and white rice. Non-starchy veggies of any kind I eat to my heart's content because I love them and they are good for you. I would try to keep your carb intake to post workout to replenish glycogen stores.

Above all else, listen to your body- it will tell you what it needs and how much of it needs and it will vary from day to day.

Comment

Yeah I snack on almonds, which have carbs in them...

Comment

Working...
                              X