Carb flu roller coaster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb flu roller coaster

I'm going on 2 weeks now low carb (about 50 daily) and high fat. Right when I think I am in the clear and the worst is behind me I get a wave of exhaustion and a mood swing that would terrify Godzilla. Is it typical for carb flu symptoms to come and go or be more present at various times of day? I assumed it was a steady state of misery that simply switched off one day and stayed gone forever. This thing is like a tease for me.
    Staring weight-160 (Dec '11) * Current weight-145 * Goal weight-130

Primal since March '12, dairy free (except butter), no fruit, no sweeteners, 50 carbs average daily

50 grams a day would be considered very low carb. Very low carb is not for everyone. How active are you? I had similar issues but have felt much better since I increased my carb intake to about 100-150 grams. Especially on days when you get lots of exercise. Also, Try to keep your protein intake from getting too high. No more than 1 gram per pound of body weight.

Comment

I agree - a lot of people blindly adopt the vlc diet despite plenty of controversy around whether or not it's actually best. If you're doing intense exercise even a few days a week, upping the carbs as b.good says may be optimal for you.

Comment

vlc has been debunked here for most peeps.

Go for moderate carbs in line with your activity levels. If you are moderately active that's around 100-150 g carbs daily.
        F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

My activity level is very low right now. I figured I'd kick it up a notch after my energy starts to kick in. I jump on my rebounder here and there. It's about like walking. And as for protein, I don't count grams but I do eat a small portion with dinner and a mid day snack. Mostly just fats though and some low carb veggies.

To be more specific, I usually have just coffee for breakfast-sometimes with coconut oil

Lunch might be the same or maybe some fried eggs (2-3)

Dinner is usually a low carb veggie cooked in or covered with healthy fats and a high fat meat choice like sausage

dessert is a cup of berries covered with a tbs of coconut oil

I just want to add, I was consuming a lot of heavy cream when I originally posted this thread. I have since stopped eating any cream because I tend to go overboard. Can dairy have any affect on energy?

So with the specifics, let me know what you all think I should change with my activity level being very minimal as it has had to be. (to pooped to work out)
          Last edited by glossy; 03-18-2012, 10:41 PM.
          Staring weight-160 (Dec '11) * Current weight-145 * Goal weight-130

Primal since March '12, dairy free (except butter), no fruit, no sweeteners, 50 carbs average daily

Comment

So are you coming off a 'grainy' diet previously, where you might have had >250g of carbs a day? And 50g isn't working well?
            As the others said try increasing that amount a lot. You can bring it down later if you wish. It's not a race.

Comment

Working...
            X