Starvation vs Eating non-paleo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starvation vs Eating non-paleo

Here's my query, what's worse for your body/i.e. What would you recommend?

1. Skipping a meal OR eating a non-paleo alternative? So for example instead of skipping breakfast, eating cereal.

2. Skipping Breakfast, Lunch or non-paleo? etc.

3. Skipping Breakfast, Lunch and dinner or non paleo? etc.

What's more important, energy with the potential of damaging your body, or perhaps the very sake of the body itself?

Let me ask a question in response — are you joking?
    If you're not, search for "Intermittent Fasting" on the main site for your answer.

Comment

I am most certainly not.

I ask this because often when you go out there may not be paleo foods to eat for lunch, so is it better to just starve it out and wait till you get home to cook something healthier.

What's your perspective?

Comment

Or I may not have enough time to cook a steak for breakfast, so would it be wiser to buy a quick sandwhich for energy and suffer the negative consequences of the food? Or is it better to go without energy until you can get something paleo?

Comment

Concentrate on adapting to the lifestyle instead of finding reasons not to observe it. I rarely find myself in a position where there isn't acceptable food. I'll fast if I do

There is never an excuse for not having made provision for good food for yourself. If you don't have time to cook then make sure you have food that you can eat cold or reheat. Pretty basic
          Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

I understand your position, however that's not the question I'm asking. I guess fasting looks like the option to take.

Comment

Starvation - this makes me laugh.
              Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Comment

Hard boiled eggs are a something portable, quick to eat and which you can prepare in advance.

Once you've been eating in a Primal or Paleo way for a while you'll likely find that skipping a meal does not starve you. A lot of people do this very often (some every day). You may feel a few waves of hunger in that time, but they usually pass, especially if you keep busy and hydrated. Try it a few times and you might find it a lot easier than you think.

So I'd definitely recommend skipping a meal when you don't have time over staying in old eating habits.

The other option to a full fast, is to consume fat only until your first meal. If you like coffee, blending some grass fed, unsalted butter in coffee is worth trying (see Bulletproof Coffee)

Comment

Dot,

If you are coming from a "regular" diet, this will be completely different. With "Old" diets I would always have that hungry feeling all the time - and skipping a meal was torture because I always seemed to WANT to eat. When you start with this one, you will realize your eating most of the time and not really hungry - I was just looking at another diet that is talking about eating 6x a day (the normal diet) and I just dont see how people do it. I had my omelet this morning and I brought a big hamburger patty for lunch, and its about 50/50 if I'll eat it or not because I just wont be hungry.

For the simple answer, Fasting is the way to go if you cant eat primal/paleo. But I think you will be surprised on how easy that is to do once you get going on this.

Comment

Originally posted by dottjt View Post
                    Here's my query, what's worse for your body/i.e. What would you recommend?

1. Skipping a meal OR eating a non-paleo alternative? So for example instead of skipping breakfast, eating cereal.

2. Skipping Breakfast, Lunch or non-paleo? etc.

3. Skipping Breakfast, Lunch and dinner or non paleo? etc.

What's more important, energy with the potential of damaging your body, or perhaps the very sake of the body itself?
                    I would say skipping would be better. It all depends though. Skipping meals is not necessarily starvation. Starvation mode kicks in if you've skipped many meals, sorry, I don't remember exactly how many meals though. Does that answer your question?

Comment

Originally posted by JoPaleo View Post
                      I would say skipping would be better. It all depends though. Skipping meals is not necessarily starvation. Starvation mode kicks in if you've skipped many meals, sorry, I don't remember exactly how many meals though. Does that answer your question?
                      I think its more then 3 days.

Fast thru it (it's actually GOOD for your body to do this), or get a sandwich and throw away the bread. I somehow am always able to find primal options when I look if I really need it. There really isnt a need to go with non-primal options. I usually just prep ahead of time.. or make hard boiled eggs before I leave.
                      Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

well skipping isn't a bad thing, and you aren't going into starvation...

plus look at it this way, if you can't cook/no time, or you go out with friends. just remove the crap from the food. if you go to a burger joint, throw away the bun and don't order fries.

pretty much anywhere but a tofu restaurant there will be food there you can eat, just modify it for primal needs...
                        http://myquest4happiness.blogspot.com/
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread48307.html (journal)

Comment

You don't drop below your regular basal metabolic rate until something like 36 hours of fasting. Even then that's a long way off from "starvation mode". Regularly fasting for even a couple of days at a time, as long as you are eating enough food between fasts and of good quality, won't hurt you a bit. Just skip lunch.
                          Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Insane Grok View Post
                            well skipping isn't a bad thing, and you aren't going into starvation...

plus look at it this way, if you can't cook/no time, or you go out with friends. just remove the crap from the food. if you go to a burger joint, throw away the bun and don't order fries.

pretty much anywhere but a tofu restaurant there will be food there you can eat, just modify it for primal needs...
                            Even at a local vegan restaurant some of my friends like, I can find something to eat. They have gluten-free options, so I order this mushroom and vegetable soup that has no tofu or anything in it. No, there's no protein, but it allows me to have something and be companionable with my friends if that's where people have decided to meet up.

But really, you can fast (which is a good choice in some circumstances), or you can stop in at a grocery store and pick up a salad and some hardboiled eggs (the shops here have hardboiled omega-3 eggs in a two-pack), you can make sure to have some paleo-friendly snacks like jerky around for emergencies, you can ask them to modify your order, or you can order the closest to paleo you can find on the menu and accept the imperfection as a 20% item. You don't have to order a sandwich, that's just the easy way out. I've been a celiac for years, and I've never been so stuck for food that I had to order something that came on bread.
                            “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by activia View Post
                              I think its more then 3 days.

Fast thru it (it's actually GOOD for your body to do this), or get a sandwich and throw away the bread. I somehow am always able to find primal options when I look if I really need it. There really isnt a need to go with non-primal options. I usually just prep ahead of time.. or make hard boiled eggs before I leave.
                              +1
                              Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X