Dont have time to cook for lunch at work, Living in NY

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dont have time to cook for lunch at work, Living in NY

Hey all newbie question. Just started working in New York and I am started to go primal next week. Its bloody hard to find places that i can stick to primal and worse still the cost of eating at a good resuarant is very costly in Tribeca. I work long hours so dont want to cook unless i really have to. Advice please? can people here who have overcome this problems post tips for me. Thanks in advance...

Here are some quick lunch ideas.. (these all take under 10 mins and VERY little effort in the kitchen..no watching over them)
    pre-make some primal mayo for the week..
    Open a few cans of tuna, throw mayo and spices on top
    Hard boil some eggs (you can get a nice device that times it for you), top with mayo, spices, and cooked veggies
    Throw some meat right in the crock pot the night before with some spices (double or triple portion)
    Take chicken breast with skin, put skin side down..throw in the oven with olive oil onion powder/garlic powder/ or whatever else you like.. cook for 30 min

You can buy bags of veggies that you just have to throw in the microwave to cook, both fresh and frozen
    you can buy pre-cut veggies, or just cut up a few servings worth 2 nights a week, then throw them together in a salad or bring the ingredients with you and cut them up at work.. then throw the crock pot chicken on top, or the hard boiled eggs in it, or the tuna on top
    Or you can take that crock pot meat and just grab a bag of frozen veggies, and heat the veggies up at work throw the juices on top with the meat, and boom nice warm meal
    Or make a large pot of soup on Sunday and have it for 2-3 days.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

All that would take less time and effort then finding a place and going there/paying etc. Also much better quality.. just do your shopping on the weekend.
      Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

I'll second the soup/chili/broth leftover idea during the week. Cook that up during the weekend, enjoy the leftovers during the week and the great thing is they'll just get BETTER tasting as the week goes on.

If you don't want to do that, have a huge breakfast so you don't have to worry about lunch. Can't go wrong with Bacon and Eggs.
        Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Comment

I'm currently pulling 40-50 hours of work, and 13 credit hours of school. My saving grace is egg salad, tuna salad, and scrambled eggs. My crockpot fills in the rest.

Comment

I get you - work too much and sometimes I don't want to cook on the weekends (although I do try to cook some most weekends). Add to that packing the food and remembering to carry it -- ackkkkk.
            A salad (greens washed are easily purchased) stuffed in a ziplock bag with a can of tuna and half an avocado -- add a mix of vinegar and oil (you don't need to keep this basic in the frig unless you add herbs so you can put together a mix over the weekend - is an easy option.
            But when things are crazy tight - you work in Manhattan - you might find Chopt an option for lunch - not perfect but reasonable.
            My primal journal that I don't update enough:
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

Comment

you're going to have to get used to cooking, that's the crappy news. sundays are cooking days in my apartment... so it goes.

if i do need a quick no-cook lunch i grab tuna in olive oil with a 2 oz piece of cheese and a ripe plantain (starchier & heartier than a banana).

Comment

Um, make double for dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by jkr View Post
                  Um, make double for dinner.
                  This is what I do about 75% of the time. Otherwise I take ten minutes in the morning to fry up a couple burger patties and toss it on some frozen vegetables.

It seems very overwhelming to do all this at first, but if you stick with it you will get some systems in place and will get much more efficient.
                  Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Handful of green leaves, plus cucumber, tomato, avocado, and protein of the day, covered in olive oil and balsamic with salt and pepper...easy.
                    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
                    PS
                    Don't forget to play!

Comment

If you have a fridge and microwave at work, you could do what I do.

On Sunday, I cook a big thing of meat. This week it was pork shoulder in the crock pot. I've done all sorts of things: chicken, mini meatloaves, brisket, fajitas, etc. I get big packages of pre-washed salad greens. I haul all that into work on Mondays.

I have olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper stored at work. If I don't have a pre-made dressing, there's always that to accentuate the greens. So I need a little space in my desk and a little space in the fridge, a nuker, and I'm all good. A little time spent on the weekend and I've got no-fail lunches for my week.

Comment

a couple of no fridge/no microwave thoughts/solutions

Somewhat random, not all are perfect but have worked for me when on the road, at other people's offices, in day long seminars, etc.

A paradox worth considering in these situations: Flawed can be more perfect than perfection.

• Hard boiled eggs are good for a few hours out of the fridge and can last the entire day in an insulated bag (assuming a climate controlled office)
                        • Nuts and seeds - put them in small containers that control portions
                        • Larabars - watch the carbs they contain, but can be better than MANY options on the street. They have half size (+/- 25g) in some flavors
                        • If you are eating fruit, this might be the time and place for your one piece of the day
                        • Load up at breakfast time. An intermittent fast (IF) from an early breakfast to a late dinner (or shorter) is quite easy, especially after a month or two of paleo/primal eating
                        • Canned sardines
                        • Some canned/jarred anchovies (not all - many need refrigeration, but those should be fine in an insulated lunch bag)
                        • Get an insulated lunch bag and a couple of re-usable ice packs - hundreds more options open up, even without a microwave
                        • Make a batch of paleo/primal muffins; they tend to be calorie dense, but may do the trick for a mid-day meal

Good luck and stick with it - the rewards are definitely worth it.
                        Kevin

Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives.
                        William James
                        US Pragmatist philosopher & psychologist (1842 1910)

Comment

Make some of these guys: ‘Super Evil’ Bacon Meatballs | Baking and Cooking Blog - Evil Shenanigans, stick five of them in a pyrex bowl with some organic, no sugar added tomato sauce, and bring a side of vegetables or piece of fruit. I love having those meatballs on hand, and I love that they don't involve breadcrumbs.

Another idea - thai food. I just got panang curry and a vegetable dish the other day. It may not be 100% primal compliant (probably cooked in peanut oil, maybe had some sugar added), but it didn't have any wheat products, no noodles, no soy (that I know of, anyway), used coconut milk, etc.

Syd
                          29/F
                          5'4.5
                          Highest weight: 220
                          Starting weight: 195
                          Current weight: 179
                          Goal weight: 127

Comment

Originally posted by cantat View Post
                            Make some of these guys: ‘Super Evil’ Bacon Meatballs | Baking and Cooking Blog - Evil Shenanigans, stick five of them in a pyrex bowl with some organic, no sugar added tomato sauce, and bring a side of vegetables or piece of fruit. I love having those meatballs on hand, and I love that they don't involve breadcrumbs.

Another idea - thai food. I just got panang curry and a vegetable dish the other day. It may not be 100% primal compliant (probably cooked in peanut oil, maybe had some sugar added), but it didn't have any wheat products, no noodles, no soy (that I know of, anyway), used coconut milk, etc.

Syd
                            Holy crap those meatballs look good - and no almond or coconut flour. Yummy!!
                            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
                              Holy crap those meatballs look good - and no almond or coconut flour. Yummy!!
                              They are amaaaaazing. I've made them twice now, they might become a permanent fixture around here.

Syd
                              29/F
                              5'4.5
                              Highest weight: 220
                              Starting weight: 195
                              Current weight: 179
                              Goal weight: 127

Comment

Working...
                              X