Would you eat these veggie chips?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you eat these veggie chips?

My girl bought a bag of sensible portions natural veggie chips today, and I decided to give them a try. The ingredients are: Potato flour, sunflower oil, tomato puree, spinach powder, sugar, and salt. As far as I can tell they're baked and not fried (though I could be wrong) and they have a light taste which goes well with the haddock I'm having for dinner. I know some of you folks are highly against something like sunflower oil, but would you eat these as an occasional treat/ side dish? Personally, I'm not afraid of a little veggie oil now and then, but would never go back to consuming the equivalent of gallons of the stuff a year like I was on a SAD type diet.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

If you want a few go for it, but count it as your 20% I wouldnt eat them on a regular basis, however I must admit that I did buy them once myself more for my husband to show him he could eat veggies as chips (he did, but I havent bought them since)...now one day I'll get around to making my own.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

Originally posted by activia View Post
      If you want a few go for it, but count it as your 20% I wouldnt eat them on a regular basis, however I must admit that I did buy them once myself more for my husband to show him he could eat veggies as chips (he did, but I havent bought them since)...now one day I'll get around to making my own.
      I had a small bowl of them with some haddock for dinner just for a change. I agree, I wouldn't eat them on a regular basis simply because they don't offer much in the way of nutrition and so on. They're tastier and a good deal healthier than something coated in chemical seasonings and so on, but they're still empty calories.
      Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Comment

Hmm yeah the ones I had were actual veggies like.. yellow squash, sweet potatoes, green beans, carrots, zucchini... white potatoes have some nutrients but not too many...
        Primal since March 2011

Comment

Originally posted by activia View Post
          Hmm yeah the ones I had were actual veggies like.. yellow squash, sweet potatoes, green beans, carrots, zucchini... white potatoes have some nutrients but not too many...
          I imagine taking some veggies and pureeing them, then adding a bit of potato flour and baking them with a bit of olive oil would make for something tasty. There might be something to using a food dehydrator to make something similar as well.

Comment

Originally posted by @lex View Post
            I imagine taking some veggies and pureeing them, then adding a bit of potato flour and baking them with a bit of olive oil would make for something tasty. There might be something to using a food dehydrator to make something similar as well.
            Or just thin slicing them and frying them in coconut oil or lard/tallow.
            Primal since March 2011

Comment

Might as well be potato chips to be honest. The nutritional value is about the same.

Comment

Originally posted by jimhensen View Post
                Might as well be potato chips to be honest. The nutritional value is about the same.
                They're basically potato chips minus a couple ingredients like chemical seasonings and so on. Not primal or healthy as a staple food, but I posted this to see how many people would completely avoid these due to the sunflower oil. Personally, a little grain and so on doesn't bother me because I'd rather not develop OCD over my food, but I know others avoid these things like the plague.

Comment

No probably not. I would eat rice crackers before I'd eat potato starch personally. Why not google sweet potato chip?

Comment

Yuo, I eat regular crisps here and there, because I think the mental stress of caring about a few grams of vegetable oil too often is worse than the oil itself. And I supplement anyway. It's what the 20% is about. But vegetable crisps are better than regylar crisps, good shout.
                    www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Comment

yeah, I've eaten these before; I count them in the 20%. I tried for a long time to keep 100% clean but it's damned hard to do. These aren't horrible for you but certainly not the best. As I see it, it's basically just there for when I feel like I need a little relief. The 80/20 is a beautiful thing.
                      Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Comment

I still think one cd. do better with the root vegetable chips that are available, altho once again the oil they are fried in is usually canola, sunflower or safflower which cd. be an issue for many. I do like the sweet pot. chips every once in a while, but I have to avoid some of the various flavors of "root" chips bec. of the evaporated cane juice.

Comment

Working...
                        X