Eating Bones

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating Bones

Lately, I've been making a lot of bone broth and have really been enjoying it.

I've been following advice found here such as adding ACV to pull out minerals, and keeping poultry/pork stocks from cooking for longer than 6-8 hours, while simmering the crap out of beef bones for days.

I enjoy the process, and the final product, and am glad to have a steady source of nutrients from a natural source.

I have noticed that after stewing chicken bones for a few hours, the vertebrae, ribs, and other small bones become very mushy. So, I started chewing a few of them up every time I strained the broth.

Am I getting any absorbable calcium or other minerals from these washed out bones, or are they mushy because everything beneficial has made its way into the broth?

You could argue that I'm getting some marrow, but I think that's probably counter balanced in the great scale of goodness by being oxidized at that point.

Don't mistake my curiosity for being overly concerned. I'm just curious by nature and hacking this diet and it's possibilities is my newest hobby.

Hesitantly bumping as this made it to the second page very quickly, and I was hoping to hear some opinions.

Comment

I have no idea for sure, but I would guess that there is still some benefit. Bones have lots of good nutrients in them, and I'm not convinced boiling removes all of them.

Comment

Years and years ago my first husband and I went to a holistic chiropractor in NJ, and he recommended cooking chicken bones in a pressure cooker until soft and eating them. I didn't do it because our funds were limited, pressure cookers weren't cheap and I was nervous about using one.
        Last edited by Lynna; 03-15-2012, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Bones are a composite material made of a hard mineral matrix interlaced with strong, springy connective tissue (mostly collagen and I think fibrin). The minerals dissolve out when you cook them (the longer you cook them and the more acidic the broth, the more completely they are removed), leaving behind the softer, springier proteins. Both are good for you AFAIK and it certainly won't hurt you to chew the mushy bits.
          Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

Maybe I'm a too-young Grok, but this does not sound appealing to me at all. Will I grow into this curiosity or do you think I'll always be turned off by this?
            Primal since March 5, 2012
            SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
              Maybe I'm a too-young Grok, but this does not sound appealing to me at all. Will I grow into this curiosity or do you think I'll always be turned off by this?
              I'm 31 but I've always been an adventurous eater. Since going primal it's been cranked up to the next level.
              I'm thinking about checking out some Asian markets to see what kind of "gross stuff" I can try.

Comment

Chicken Broth with thighs and drumsticks is amazing. I eat the drumstick, then the cartilage. I just read Deep Nutrition, and the author is highly favorable of bones for joint health. Eat it !

Comment

I bought some bones at the store labeled "bone marrow" so I cooked them up but they were hard as a rock and I could not eat the marrow. So I made broth out of them instead. Funny thing was after 24 hours in the crockpot they were very soft. I could eat them, bones, marrow and all. I was a little grossed out by this, but I saved them. I've been wondering what to do with them. I thought maybe I could smash them all with a hammer into a fine paste and then add that to my broth for a richer soup. Maybe blend it in the blender for good measure. Maybe I will try this over the weekend.
                  Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by NWPrimate View Post
                    I'm 31 but I've always been an adventurous eater. Since going primal it's been cranked up to the next level.
                    I'm thinking about checking out some Asian markets to see what kind of "gross stuff" I can try.
                    I think I read one of Mark's blog posts on bone broth wher-in he suggested smashing the bones to get at the marrow easier and then eating them also.

We have a new international market in town that advertises goat meat and also camel meat. Some day, I am going to get some to try.
                    Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
                    I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
                    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
                    ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

Comment

I make my own dog food, after I have taken the flesh from the chicken carcasses, I boil everything that is left for a couple of hours, then blitz it all in my vitamix, and it makes a very smooth, velvety chicken soup, which I pour over the dogfood!! The dogs love it, I am not sure I would like it myself, but am tempted to give it to my husband, without telling him what it is of course, to see what the verdict is!!!

Comment

Once the bones are soft, I food process them along with all the meaty scraps/connective tissue into a fine slurry and mix it all back into my broth. Delicious and nutritious. We use this as a base for all our soups/stews.

Comment

Originally posted by michellethompson View Post
                          I make my own dog food, after I have taken the flesh from the chicken carcasses, I boil everything that is left for a couple of hours, then blitz it all in my vitamix, and it makes a very smooth, velvety chicken soup, which I pour over the dogfood!! The dogs love it, I am not sure I would like it myself, but am tempted to give it to my husband, without telling him what it is of course, to see what the verdict is!!!
                          Ha ha, love it! Do Try, and let us know what he thinks of it!
                          SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
                          “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
                            Once the bones are soft, I food process them along with all the meaty scraps/connective tissue into a fine slurry and mix it all back into my broth. Delicious and nutritious. We use this as a base for all our soups/stews.
                            That's an interesting idea. Going to give that one a whirl. Seems like a good alternative to eating the mushy bones, as that might not be appealing to many.

Comment

Certainly more nutritious and complete then popping for glucosamine, chondroitin, magnesium and calcium tablets.

Comment

Working...
                              X