Is this cheese healthy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this cheese healthy?

It's cool that I live in belgium and they sell the best cheeses here . Anyway, I bought some cheese from raw milk fermented for about 7-8 months. Healthy?

I wouldn't worry about it, as long as it's from raw milk. And, being it's from Belgium, I'd be prejudicial in saying I trust it more than a lot of cheese sold here in the states.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

fermented raw milk sounds great! No other mysterious ingredients correct?
      Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

I'm jealous.
        F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
          I'm jealous.
          Me, too. I'd try digging through the cheese pile at whole foods without any luck. The only place I found raw cheese was Trader Joe's
          If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

Originally posted by lssanjose View Post
            Me, too. I'd try digging through the cheese pile at whole foods without any luck. The only place I found raw cheese was Trader Joe's
            My whole foods has raw cheese, and its local! (from Vermont)
            Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

Probably great, and probably cheaper than we get any cheese. This pisses my husband off to no end. He moved here from Belgium to marry me (hehe) and cannot believe the price of common, everyday Gouda! LOL

We did find organic chesse made from raw milk, no "extra" ingredients. $10 for a small brick. It almost made him cry.

Do watch Belgian and Dutch cheeses for hormones. I don't know the laws there, but hubby insists our meat here in Canada is better taste, better texture, and WAY less watery... So they're doing something to the cows over there. He said once when we were still dating and he was cooking dinner over there, that he could barely fry a burger in a pan because it waters out and boils, whereas here you can actually fry beef. This indicates heavy hormone use. May want to look into it.
              Last edited by GrokON; 03-13-2012, 02:50 PM.
              5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

Comment

Aw, sucks living in Oregon. Come back to San Jose?
                My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

Originally posted by sakura_girl View Post
                  Aw, sucks living in Oregon. Come back to San Jose?
                  I'm guessing this was directed to me. I love Oregon, actually. I've only been to San Jose, a few times. San Jose is my surname, believe it or not

Comment

oh LOL. That's cool too

I couldn't live in Oregon because of the rain. Otherwise I hear it's beautiful, with lots of lush greenness and open space
                    My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

GrokOn - do you have any studies/articles about the impact of hormone use on meat quality? I'm very interested in the various ways husbandry alters food quality.

Comment

Originally posted by lssanjose View Post
                        Green banks farm raw cheese is awesome . They sell it at whole foods in Portland or btw

It is from Washington btw

Comment

Originally posted by destin View Post
                          Green banks farm raw cheese is awesome . They sell it at whole foods in Portland or btw

It is from Washington btw
                          Thanks, which one in Portland? I know there is one on NE Sandy Blvd.

Comment

They have it at the one on se 28th and burnside .

Talk to the cheese lady when you're there , and ask them about raw cheese. She is super nice.
                            I think they have 3 dif raw cheeses, but I like the green banks the best.

Comment

Originally posted by destin View Post
                              They have it at the one on se 28th and burnside .

Talk to the cheese lady when you're there , and ask them about raw cheese. She is super nice.
                              I think they have 3 dif raw cheeses, but I like the green banks the best.
                              Awesome, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X