Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to IF, can't seem to do it, what gives?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trying to IF, can't seem to do it, what gives?!

    After seeing how much success it seems that people have with IF, I wanted to try it. I thought maybe working up to fast-5 would be good. Or at the very least, trying to skip breakfast. I've gotten to the point where all I can do is think about food. My diet is very clean, I just eat too much and I am gaining weight as a result. I'm 5'3, 125lbs and it keeps creeping up. Somehow, this time last year I was a good 15lbs lighter!

    Typical day has been:

    B: 3-4 eggs in butter, cream in coffee
    L: salad, leftovers
    D: Meat + veggies (I can put away up to a lb of meat, though, no problemo), sometimes sweet potato (god I could eat 5 lbs of them if you'd let me)

    I do track, and it generally comes out to 1400-1800 calories/day. C/F/P ~80/110/110. I've tinkered with more fat, more carbs, etc., but nothing seems to reign in my constant obsession with food and wanting to eat. I'm sick of thinking about it all of the time!

    I've pretty much cut alcohol and even my occasional ice cream. I started by just trying to cut breakfast, but by 10 I want to eat so bad I cave and have coffee with cream, then my lunch, etc. I'm not sure why I can't just tough it out for a few days, but in my head I come up with reasons why I just need food; I'm tired, grumpy, lethargic, can't concentrate, etc. Anyone got tips?

  • #2
    I had the same problem in the past. I feel for you, ugh....

    Have you tried drinking some hot tea/water when you start obsessing?

    If you are feeling obsessive about food, eat. Fasting is not supposed to be stressful. If you don't enjoy it or it is too inconvenient for your life, I wouldn't advise it. I'd say stick with your 3 meals/day schedule.

    The only thing about your typical day meals I would suggest is to add some veggies with breakfast. How long does it take you to feel hungry after a meal? Describe that hunger feeling.

    What do you do for exercise? How often do you exercise per week?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by fatisyummy View Post
      After seeing how much success it seems that people have with IF, I wanted to try it. I thought maybe working up to fast-5 would be good. Or at the very least, trying to skip breakfast. I've gotten to the point where all I can do is think about food. My diet is very clean, I just eat too much and I am gaining weight as a result. I'm 5'3, 125lbs and it keeps creeping up. Somehow, this time last year I was a good 15lbs lighter!

      Typical day has been:

      B: 3-4 eggs in butter, cream in coffee
      L: salad, leftovers
      D: Meat + veggies (I can put away up to a lb of meat, though, no problemo), sometimes sweet potato (god I could eat 5 lbs of them if you'd let me)

      I do track, and it generally comes out to 1400-1800 calories/day. C/F/P ~80/110/110. I've tinkered with more fat, more carbs, etc., but nothing seems to reign in my constant obsession with food and wanting to eat. I'm sick of thinking about it all of the time!

      I've pretty much cut alcohol and even my occasional ice cream. I started by just trying to cut breakfast, but by 10 I want to eat so bad I cave and have coffee with cream, then my lunch, etc. I'm not sure why I can't just tough it out for a few days, but in my head I come up with reasons why I just need food; I'm tired, grumpy, lethargic, can't concentrate, etc. Anyone got tips?
      *sigh* Must admit.. There are these mints at work, they aren't primal but are <5 cal <1g of sugar and they do the trick for me if I'm having this problem.

      You can also try bulletproof coffee..

      The day before you fast make sure you get enough good carbs, and calories overall.
      Primal since March 2011

      Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

      Comment


      • #4
        what about if you tried this;

        have a light breakfast after FIRST thing in the morning moderate cardio of some sort.

        Lunch: Large..your biggest meal of the day...

        Dinner: light, as early as possible..say 5 pm if possible?

        then NOTHING until breakfast the next day. Depending on your sleep pattern, that could possible be a 14-16 hours fast. Glucagon levels will be increased to burn fat.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks for the feedback.

          I should say: I always want to eat, not necessarily always hungry. I recognize that my stomach isn't gnawing for food, I just want to eat.

          My exercise consists of training for aerial silks and dance. The aerials is pretty strength oriented.

          I just wonder if my body is missing something and that's why I always want to eat. I had hoped that IF would fix this for me, but so far I can't even really get myself on a schedule for it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Have you tried taking medium chain triglycerides or drinking real coconut milk alone while otherwise fasting? It will make you warm, generate heat and ketones, and burn evenly for many hours. Not a true fast, but it sure sets up the environment for some solid ketosis from what I understand.
            Crohn's, doing SCD

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
              Have you tried taking medium chain triglycerides or drinking real coconut milk alone while otherwise fasting? It will make you warm, generate heat and ketones, and burn evenly for many hours. Not a true fast, but it sure sets up the environment for some solid ketosis from what I understand.
              How do you get medium chain triglycerides ?
              An avocado a day keeps the doctor away!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                Have you tried taking medium chain triglycerides or drinking real coconut milk alone while otherwise fasting? It will make you warm, generate heat and ketones, and burn evenly for many hours. Not a true fast, but it sure sets up the environment for some solid ketosis from what I understand.
                This is intriguing. I love all things coconut, and I have been putting coconut oil in my coffee (in addition to the cream). I might try more.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by fatisyummy View Post

                  I should say: I always want to eat, not necessarily always hungry. I recognize that my stomach isn't gnawing for food, I just want to eat.
                  Yep, that was me! Check out Beck Diet Solution. It helped me. There's no restrictive diet plan or anything. It takes work but it was soooooo worth it for me. Good luck!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Crohn's, doing SCD

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                      I'm not sure if I trusted that brand, when looking for a quick coconut milk purchase. I went for some thai brand due to the minimal amount of ingredients. I could be wrong, however; I'll just have to look at it, again when I shop for some coconut milk.
                      If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by lssanjose View Post
                        I'm not sure if I trusted that brand, when looking for a quick coconut milk purchase. I went for some thai brand due to the minimal amount of ingredients. I could be wrong, however; I'll just have to look at it, again when I shop for some coconut milk.
                        That's a good one, no BPA either
                        Primal since March 2011

                        Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm totally gonna get shot at by everyone on this forum for suggesting it but... this might help get your head into an IF.

                          When I do IF, I've found what works best for me is to have one calorie-free go-to that I'm allowed unlimited amounts of. This doesn't have to be food, mind you. If it is a food, for me it is the dreaded diet soda! (I know! I'm sorry! Kill me! But I like it and I only indulge very occasionally!) Barring that, you could do plain water, or make a stevia-sweetened lemonade and guzzle that whenever the urge strikes, or you could have unlimited tea, or you could have unlimited ... I don't know, movies, or whatever. I also would say that choosing your IF days based on when you are BUSY AS HELL is very very good idea, because being distracted from eating by being in myriad meetings or chores on a schedule really does a lot more for not gobbling food than just trying to do it out of sheer willpower.

                          sorry for the diet soda things guys...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            oh also, i've found that HIIT bodyweight + lots of water curbs an appetite temporarily. Try busting out your limit on pushups and then swallowing half a pint of water whenever the urge to gobble gets too much.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I agree with the MCT's, they are handy. You can get it online if you google it. I do however have an alternative that I find works really well.

                              Wake up and take some l-glutamine powder in as much water as you can, it replenishes glycogen, helps hunger too. This stuff also promotes growth hormone release when taken on an empty stomach.

                              Secondly, drink a nice strong green tea, or coffee (green tea is the healthier option and works better for appetite suppressant purposes). If you have some organic cider vinegar then put a small teaspoon of this in the tea... it can also suppress appetite, but mainly, its acidic - which helps your body absorb the catechins from the tea.

                              Now it's time to exercise, this takes your mind off food and makes you feel motivated to eat healthily and in due time. If you do any intense exercise then you may want to use some bcaa powder immediately after your workout in some water. This not only prevents muscle breakdown, but it also satiates your muscles, allowing you to push food back even more.

                              Now, the real trick is - have a small breakfast, but with a high protein content if you can. Don't stuff your face and give into the hunger or you won't make any progress, you are teaching your body to make the most out of it's post-workout meal, utilising all the amino acids without having a surplus of crap floating around. Try not to have high carb vegetables at night either, the carbs at night can make mornings tougher.

                              I should've added that I said "breakfast".... but I didn't mean it in the normal sense. I meant "break - fast" - the time you break your fast. I normally eat from 12pm-8pm only.
                              Last edited by BuildingGroks; 03-13-2012, 11:02 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X