No announcement yet.

Candida VS Paleo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, no. I'm not talking about REAL infections and symptomatic episodes. I'm talking about when Joe Gullible feels a stiffness in his neck and goes to his naturopath, and gets shoved a basket full of candida treatments and pills. The list of candida symptoms is SO vague and all-encompassing that it basically tells anyone who reads it they are infected. Treating an ACTUAL candida infection, with the inflammation, pus and pain makes perfect sense, as does following through with a good period of time on a candida diet protocol. But feeling dizzy once a week and having other mild symptoms just don't cut it. Unless you sell pills or drugs or diet plans to fix it.
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnivara View Post
      This really sounds like hypothyroidism to me, not the catch-all "Candida", which might explain why iodine seems to help some people. I had a mile long list of symptoms, including some of the ones you list, and a few people tried to talk me into an anti-candida regimen. Then I had a doctor run lab tests. No candida was found. But a "normal" sluggish thyroid was found. By that I mean lab tests were within the normal range but but at the extreme end. Many doctors do not treat thyroid if it's "normal" no matter how many symptoms a patient has. I finally found a doctor who would and treatment with thyroid hormone replacement resolved all these issues.
      I'm sure that candida can be associated with low thyroid function as well as being misdiagnosed.

There's also the possibility of hyper-sensitivity to candida and yeasts and molds, rather than overgrowth, which can also include histamine intolerance. I once had a chronic attack of interstitial cystitis and was in constant pain for about 4 months. I believe this made me hypersensitive to yeast because once the bladder lining is compromised, candida infects the bladder tissues. Several doctors I consulted at the time told me there was nothing wrong with me because all the urine samples I gave tested negative for a bacterial infection. They told me to stop wasting their time. Such is the level of ignorance among medical professionals that some of us are up against.

Also, I went into anaphylactic shock once when I had an acute yeast infection. I certainly didn't imagine that and I was unaware of it at the point I went into shock.
      F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by patski View Post
        Everyone reacts differently to certain foods. I cannot consume anything fermented right now, even though many folks tout apple cider vinegar and kefir. Can't touch 'em.

I'm not even eating any fruit, or high starch veggies right now like parsnips, sweet potatoes or carrots. When I made my BBQ parsnip fries, my perioral dermatitis got worse overnight! Wretched thing.
        My doctor has told me that I have perioral dermatitis also. I'm not 100% sure... It seems to be a lot better since starting Paleo. I also have tons of eczema. It comes and goes. Ugh....

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnivara View Post
          This really sounds like hypothyroidism to me, not the catch-all "Candida", which might explain why iodine seems to help some people. I had a mile long list of symptoms, including some of the ones you list, and a few people tried to talk me into an anti-candida regimen. Then I had a doctor run lab tests. No candida was found. But a "normal" sluggish thyroid was found. By that I mean lab tests were within the normal range but but at the extreme end. Many doctors do not treat thyroid if it's "normal" no matter how many symptoms a patient has. I finally found a doctor who would and treatment with thyroid hormone replacement resolved all these issues.

Hmm.. interesting. It's definitely worth looking into.

Comment

Originally posted by lashes86 View Post
            It is definitely NOT a subject of my imagination!! Candida is a real problem. My question is more along the lenghts of if you actually really need a "Candida" diet in order to treat Candida or if going Primal would/could have the same effects.
            From everything I've read, the paleo diet essentially IS a candida diet - you're eliminating all the starchy carbs and simple sugars that feed candida. I mentioned it on another thread but Dr. Mark Hyman's book The Ultimate Mind is a great resource that covers candida and leaky gut causes. He's great also about specifying the nutrients as well as diet that help balance our body chemistry so good info on supplements.

It's all about the system, not just about the symptoms. So while you DO want to eliminate what's cusing the candida, that's not enough. You must also strengthen the system as a whole.

Excited to hear how you do with it going primal. I'm on month 2 of no candida symptoms and ecstatic about it!
            || 2/28/12 || 5'6" || 144 lbs ||
            My goals: 125 lbs, 27" waist, fat-free, shapely, muscular legs
            AND to be able to do my very first pull up!

Comment

Originally posted by Aliophile View Post
              From everything I've read, the paleo diet essentially IS a candida diet - you're eliminating all the starchy carbs and simple sugars that feed candida. I mentioned it on another thread but Dr. Mark Hyman's book The Ultimate Mind is a great resource that covers candida and leaky gut causes. He's great also about specifying the nutrients as well as diet that help balance our body chemistry so good info on supplements.

It's all about the system, not just about the symptoms. So while you DO want to eliminate what's cusing the candida, that's not enough. You must also strengthen the system as a whole.

Excited to hear how you do with it going primal. I'm on month 2 of no candida symptoms and ecstatic about it!
              Thanks! I will look into getting that book. I always like gaining new knowledge. So far so good! I had already started eating this way (with some exceptions) about 8 months ago. Cutting ALL grains has definitely been a challenge. But there are so many amazing recipe books out there that make it easier, especially the one called "Make it Paleo". I love the waffle recipe in it.

Comment

Originally posted by lashes86 View Post
                Hi All;

Here is my story:

I currently suffer from a condition called Candida. Iíve had symptoms of constipation, bloating, "brain-fog", cystic acne, weight gain, sleep disturbance and craving sweets; just to name a few. I just recently went to see a Naturopath regarding this issue and I was put on a colon cleanse which required me to eliminate yeast, vinegar and sugar. I was also taking approximately 30 herbal pills a day. I followed this cleanse for about 8 months. I decided to stop taking the supplements because 1) it became way too expensive and 2) I was beginning to be skeptical about the whole thing. I was only supposed to be on this "cleanse" for 3 months and it was now well over 8 months. Donít get me wrong, I am so thankful that I did it because I now feel 100 times better! Most of my symptoms have now disappeared. However, I do get the few odd ones. So, with this said, a friend of mine recommended to try the Paleo diet. He was confident that my symptoms would completely disappear.

Here is my issue. I have been trying to research for information regarding doing a combination of a Candida diet and Primal diet at the same time. I have come up short with information. Both diets seem to have similar qualities, however Iím afraid that if I go completely Paleo that my Candida will come backÖ For example: On my Candida diet I am not allowed to have maple syrup, honey, limit on fruit (2 fruits a day), no mushrooms, no vinegar, etc. Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a anti-candida primal diet? If so, what would your recommendations be? Or is there no such thing as a Candida problem, and that simply eating Primal would resolve my issues?

PS. I keep referring to the Candida and Paleo as ďdietĒ. I truly donít believe that they are... they are simply a way of life. It was just easier for me to type it this way.
                I used to have a list of symptoms comparable to Santa's list for Christmas, it encompassed everything. From what I've read and experienced, there is only one thing that truly, and essentially, contributes to Candida...and that's a depletion of minerals from the body and thus a buildup up toxins resulting from being malnourished.

You can take all the anti-fungals you want, and they will help, but you're only treating the symptom: candida. The cause is being malnourished.To truly get over this infection, you need to nourish your body, completely. That means eating a crap ton of nutrient dense foods, like those found in the Paleo diet, while excluding foods that may cause reactions. It also requires supplementing with important vitamins and minerals, to support the process of rebuilding your body.

I've been on a Paleo-like diet for 1.5 years, and I have cured or reduced many of my symptoms. Some of my warts even went away! By themselves. And so did a birth mark on my abdomen! My keratosis pilaris is finally healing up, and some of my food sensitivities are going away! But, I'm not completely cured and I am starting to believe other factors may be contributing to my symptoms, rather than just candida.

If you want a good start on how to help heal your candida, Healing Naturally by Bee - Home Page is a good place to start. But, I wouldn't completely do her program, or take all of her advice. I think the diet works perfectly for those who have food intolerances, like myself. I just advise not taking all of her supplements, especially the high amounts of Vitamin C. I do take the Vit E and D, plus Cod liver oil and a fish oil, everyday, plus Calcium and Magnesium off and on.

Once you're healthy enough, your candida will go away. I think I may still have mine, but I'm testing to see if my issues are a result of something quite opposite, atm. Hope this helps =)

Comment

Originally posted by Zelli88 View Post
                  You can take all the anti-fungals you want, and they will help, but you're only treating the symptom: candida. The cause is being malnourished.To truly get over this infection, you need to nourish your body, completely. That means eating a crap ton of nutrient dense foods, like those found in the Paleo diet, while excluding foods that may cause reactions. It also requires supplementing with important vitamins and minerals, to support the process rather than just candida.

Once you're healthy enough, your candida will go away. I think I may still have mine, but I'm testing to see if my issues are a result of something quite opposite, atm. Hope this helps =)
                  You are so right on. People get hung up on one supplement, or one condition and forget that we must address our entire organism holistically. in with the good, out with the bad. Trouble is most people don't take the responsibility for thmselves of finding out what is good and bad because those chemicals and sugars and breads taste so good! Or at least they do until you go primal.

My organism is my temple.
                  || 2/28/12 || 5'6" || 144 lbs ||
                  My goals: 125 lbs, 27" waist, fat-free, shapely, muscular legs
                  AND to be able to do my very first pull up!

Comment

I used to have a list of symptoms comparable to Santa's list for Christmas, it encompassed everything. From what I've read and experienced, there is only one thing that truly, and essentially, contributes to Candida...and that's a depletion of minerals from the body and thus a buildup up toxins resulting from being malnourished.

You can take all the anti-fungals you want, and they will help, but you're only treating the symptom: candida. The cause is being malnourished.To truly get over this infection, you need to nourish your body, completely. That means eating a crap ton of nutrient dense foods, like those found in the Paleo diet, while excluding foods that may cause reactions. It also requires supplementing with important vitamins and minerals, to support the process of rebuilding your body.

I've been on a Paleo-like diet for 1.5 years, and I have cured or reduced many of my symptoms. Some of my warts even went away! By themselves. And so did a birth mark on my abdomen! My keratosis pilaris is finally healing up, and some of my food sensitivities are going away! But, I'm not completely cured and I am starting to believe other factors may be contributing to my symptoms, rather than just candida.

If you want a good start on how to help heal your candida, Healing Naturally by Bee - Home Page is a good place to start. But, I wouldn't completely do her program, or take all of her advice. I think the diet works perfectly for those who have food intolerances, like myself. I just advise not taking all of her supplements, especially the high amounts of Vitamin C. I do take the Vit E and D, plus Cod liver oil and a fish oil, everyday, plus Calcium and Magnesium off and on.

I totally agree with you on this. I suffered from an eating disorder for years and I believe that it has had an effect on my body. I've been symptom free for 3 years now, so I've had to reprogram my body almost. I was very malnourished.

Comment

Bee has great advice to start with; but she recommends AGAINST eating coconut milk and coconut meat. Which I think is ridiculous, when they're all anti-fungal. She doesn't give a reason against eating them either. I can understand coconut milk as there's some weird stuff hiding in there sometimes (polysorbate 60, anyone?).

She doesn't recommend eating rutabagas either. But google rutabaga and candida, and you'll find lots of people eating it with no ill effect. Everyone's body is different; but our own body is the best doctor.
                      A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

Each bodily system works in conjunction with all the others and everything we do or don't put into our bodies affects the functioning of the whole. I do think the full paleo lifestyle meets our bodies needs on a holistic level. So far my experience with it has been just wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by patski View Post
                          Bee has great advice to start with; but she recommends AGAINST eating coconut milk and coconut meat. Which I think is ridiculous, when they're all anti-fungal. She doesn't give a reason against eating them either. I can understand coconut milk as there's some weird stuff hiding in there sometimes (polysorbate 60, anyone?).

She doesn't recommend eating rutabagas either. But google rutabaga and candida, and you'll find lots of people eating it with no ill effect. Everyone's body is different; but our own body is the best doctor.
                          She advises against those foods on grounds of their sugar content, which is significant for a lot of people.

Eating a low sugar, low yeast/mold diet is far more important than taking anti-fungals in my experience. Anti-fungals treat the symptoms not the cause.
                          Last edited by paleo-bunny; 03-16-2012, 03:44 AM. Reason: grammar
                          F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

Interesting thread. I'm learning lots!

Comment

That makes sense. But what of coconut milk and meat? Last I checked, both were high in saturated fat. I haven't even looked at the carb content of a can of coconut milk. I will today though!

Originally posted by paleo-bunny View Post
                              She advises against those foods on grounds of their sugar content, which is significant for a lot of people.

Eating a low sugar, low yeast/mold diet is far more important than taking anti-fungals in my experience. Anti-fungals treat the symptoms not the cause.
                              A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Comment

I just found this on the Healing Naturally by Bee website: ..... SCARY! I've never heard of such a thing..

"Cancer is directly connected with candida (yeast overgrowth), and both candida and cancer are the result of the degeneration of the body. It is estimated that over 70% of all people have candida, including men, women, children, and babies, which is actively and seriously deteriorating their health: see the simple test, list of symptoms, and a health program that handles it below."

Comment

Working...
                                X