Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is an embarrassingly dumb question, but...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is an embarrassingly dumb question, but...

...uh, can I eat the bones in canned salmon?

Thanks!
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

I wouldn't see why not, but I have a dumb-er question... WHY are there bones in canned salmon! I bought my first few cans a few weeks ago and I tried eating one and I was so grossed out! Made me sad haha
    An avocado a day keeps the doctor away!

Comment

Yes, eat them... they are good for you. Calci-YUM!

As a kid it was the part I went for first!
      “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche
      And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

Always eat the bones! Why would you NOT eat the bones?! You know how hard it is to source nice, healthy, edible bone?
        Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

The bones are good for you. Eat them. If they gross you out, use whole canned salmon in recipes that mask the texture. If you're going to eat it by itself you can get boneless and skinless canned salmon - but you'll miss out on some good nutrients.

Comment

I buy those canned salmons JUST FOR the bones...lol.
            I give the salmon to my cat, while the bones go down my own hatch

Comment

I find that if I crush it up a bit before I put it in my scrambled eggs- I'd never know the bones are in there. Still haven't gotten that brave with the sardines languishing in my cabinet . . .
              http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Comment

Originally posted by Issabeau View Post
                I buy those canned salmons JUST FOR the bones...lol.
                I give the salmon to my cat, while the bones go down my own hatch
                Exactly. I buy canned salmon to make salmon cakes out of. I don't care for it all in its unaltered canned state, but mix it with some eggs, garlic, onion and spices and fry it in a little ghee and it's pretty damn good.
                Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

The bones kind of gross me out if I can see/feel them, but if I squish them up really well and make salmon cakes or something like that, then I don't notice them, and I accept that they are good for me and enjoy the taste of the salmon, so it's a reasonable trade-off.
                  “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

I eat the bones~ but the skin

Comment

Skin is my fav part after I grill it..dont know about canned... still havent given it a try, its in the cabinet waiting for me to be brave one day.
                      Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Comment

Originally posted by activia View Post
                        Skin is my fav part after I grill it..dont know about canned... still havent given it a try, its in the cabinet waiting for me to be brave one day.
                        Oh, I love nice crispy fried fish skin, but canned~ yuck! Maybe it's a texture thing

Comment

Thanks guys! My salmon (in homemade mayo) on nori was delicious! Bones and all!

I found a spine vertibrae, put it in my mouth, it turned to crunchy dust so I figured the smaller bones would do so even easier, and I ate it all up!

As a female, I am always looking for good calcium sources in addition to my bone broth.

Comment

bones??? that's a little beyond my comfort zone... but I'm only 19 days old... I think it'll take me even longer to try salmon now...
                            Primal since March 5, 2012
                            SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

You can get varieties that say boneless skinless... These ones were super cheap, wild caught, so I was all over them. I am glad I tried them, cuz the bones were not a big deal AND now I know I got some calcium.

Comment

Working...
                              X